Gtx 10 series  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Are Gtx 10 series gpus overkill for 1080p gaming?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, maartendc said:

This is simply not true. Check out these benchmarks of the GTX 1070:

Your post is missing the benchmarks.

Anyway, I listed in a previous post in this thread games that a 1070 can't max out at 1080p. Also, a 1060 is significantly less powerful than a 1070, and there is a ton of games that a 1060 can't max settings out in and get 60 FPS at 1080p, so, lowering settings will be a regular need with a GTX 1060. Therefore, a 1070 is not overkill for 1080p gaming, since it's about the minimum requirement for being able to max almost any game out at 1080p. And since games are becoming more demanding, not less, a 1060 isn't very future-proofed.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Your post is missing the benchmarks.

Anyway, I listed above games that a 1070 can't max out at 1080p. Also, a 106 is significantly less powerful than a 1070, and lowering settings will be a regular need with a GTX 1060. Therefore a 1070 is not overkill for 1080p gaming, since it's about the minimum requirement for being able to max almost any game out at 1080p. And since games are becoming more demanding, not less, a 1060 isn't very future-proofed.

Only if you're unwilling to adjust settings. Far too many games have settings and features that add nothing to the experience, while removing performance. Find them and lower them, problem solved. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

14 minutes ago, App4that said:

Only if you're unwilling to adjust settings. Far too many games have settings and features that add nothing to the experience, while removing performance. Find them and lower them, problem solved. 

That's not always the case, and, personally, I love pushing graphics to their limits. It shouldn't be presumed that a person asking for GPU advice has in mind the condition 'with settings lowered.' The advice I gave says "max settings," and if that's something the OP likes, then the advice I provided is worth considering.

Also, the OP says they want to build a system that is future-proof. If a person gets a GPU that requires settings to be lowered right away, then how much more will a person have to be lowering settings in a year or two? If they have the money, a 1070 is a lot more future-proof than a 1060, and the 1070 will be able to do a lot at 1080p that a 1060 won't be able to. And buying a less future-proof GPU now will mean the OP has to buy a new GPU again sooner, rather than later - so, it might not even save any money in the long-term, to buy a less powerful GPU right now, and 1070's can now be had for reasonable prices.

Also, the OP says they're planning on getting an i7 6700k, which will be bottle-necked by a GTX 1060, wasting gaming potential.

I think that a 6700K with a GTX 1060 is a bit of a lop-sided build, and a 1070 will definitely be more useful than a 1060 at graphically-intensive 1080p gaming.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Well i can overclock gtx 1070 to some limit but that wont create any "Awww magic!!! " kind of raise in fps right?

56 minutes ago, akshat2995 said:

Well i can overclock gtx 1070 to some limit but that wont create any "Awww magic!!! " kind of raise in fps right?

Maybe a performance gain of 3 - 15% over stock, depending on the game or benchmark.

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Maybe a performance gain of 3 - 15% over stock, depending on the game or benchmark.

But that gain does really change your gaming experince ?  while playing i didnt saw any noticable changes between 100fps and 115fps 

10 minutes ago, akshat2995 said:

But that gain does really change your gaming experince ?  while playing i didnt saw any noticable changes between 100fps and 115fps 

If it's the difference between 55 and 63 FPS, that's noticeable. 60 vs 68 FPS is also going to be noticeable. Above 100 isn't going to be as noticeable, though.

9 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

-snip-

Come now, future proof is marketing. Max settings can look better than high, but rarely anymore. If I had to buy a card right now months away from both AMD and Nvidia showing their hands it wouldn't be anything more than I absolutely needed, and wouldn't mind throwing in the trash hep if the value on whats out now plummets. 

A 1070 is a good card, but it's a waste at 1080p. Grab a 1060 or 480 and ride out the storm.  

9 hours ago, App4that said:

Come now, future proof is marketing. Max settings can look better than high, but rarely anymore. If I had to buy a card right now months away from both AMD and Nvidia showing their hands it wouldn't be anything more than I absolutely needed, and wouldn't mind throwing in the trash hep if the value on whats out now plummets. 

A 1070 is a good card, but it's a waste at 1080p. Grab a 1060 or 480 and ride out the storm.  

So u r trying to say that use 1070 if u r interested at 4k gaming right?

11 hours ago, App4that said:

Come now, future proof is marketing. Max settings can look better than high, but rarely anymore.

Future-proof doesn't mean endlessly capable. It just means not having to significantly sacrifice settings for games over the next year, or two, or three, and putting off the need to buy a better card to be able to play at satisfactory settings for as long as possible.

2 hours ago, akshat2995 said:

So u r trying to say that use 1070 if u r interested at 4k gaming right?

Not even a Titan XP can do 4K at constant 60 FPS in all games. For 4K, I'd personally want at least a GTX 1080. Though, if I was thinking about 4K, I'd wait until the next round new GPUs came out, and then buy something then.

Waiting for next gen gpus is quite a nice option cz i have seen that somes games in dx12 dont support gtx10 series in sli.

Maybe in coming days nvidia will either update graphic drivers that support sli or will release a new set of gpus.

5 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Future-proof doesn't mean endlessly capable. It just means not having to significantly sacrifice settings for games over the next year, or two, or three, and putting off the need to buy a better card to be able to play at satisfactory settings for as long as possible.

A 1070 has problems with Watchdogs 2, in 1080p. Future proofing is sales talk. It's to get the person looking at a 1060 to buy a 1070, not to protect the user. The smart thing to do right now is not spend any money you don't have to, as the next few months will see huge changes in performance and pricing.

3 hours ago, akshat2995 said:

Waiting for next gen gpus is quite a nice option cz i have seen that somes games in dx12 dont support gtx10 series in sli.

Maybe in coming days nvidia will either update graphic drivers that support sli or will release a new set of gpus.

SLI isn't up to Nvidia, it's up to the developer. Well, mostly that is. I run SLI and it's always best to give games months before playing them. Actually a smart practice if you don't run SLI as well. Better performance and cheaper games. 

But yeah, if you can wait.