Lower my CPU speed for freenas?

Ykno

so i have a 1u server running freenas

as you can image 1u arnt silent it wont run on no fans as overheats with its passive cooler but im swaping the fans out for noise blockers at 11db each max

and want to futher lower the cpu speed on my xeon to reduce the amoutn of cooling needed, as 11db fans dont push as much air as the factory ones.

but my issue is i dont want to drop the cpu so low it strugle to run freenas so what would you recomend ? (i was thinking trying possibly as low as 1ghz as i cant imagin it needs much?)

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

If its an Intel Xeon past socket 771, enable Speedstep and all the sleep (C) states in the BIOS.  Should reduce it down, the operating system will also need to have its power parameters configured also.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Too slow, and you might get stability issues...

What model server is this? May be only so much you can do. If it's an older processor and if the bios permits it, you can lower the voltage and FSB - however I wouldn't expect a server bios to give you that option.

You can also just put resistors inline for the existing fans. Even the older intel (core 2 duo / core 2 quad series) don't require a whole lot of cooling for idle. Unless you're encrypting or transcoding, doubt that your CPUs will ever break a sweat.

13 hours ago, Mikensan said:

What model server is this? May be only so much you can do. If it's an older processor and if the bios permits it, you can lower the voltage and FSB - however I wouldn't expect a server bios to give you that option.

You can also just put resistors inline for the existing fans. Even the older intel (core 2 duo / core 2 quad series) don't require a whole lot of cooling for idle. Unless you're encrypting or transcoding, doubt that your CPUs will ever break a sweat.

well like i said i tryed running it with no fans and it shut down from overheating so hopefully these noice blockers give it enough airflow. xD lol

17 hours ago, manikyath said:

i recommend you get rid of the 1u chassis if you want any form of silence.

couple of points to reply back to this,

its stop gap rented house so after my wedding next year ill be looking in to buying my own house and once i buy my own house ill be building a cuboard with ventilation for this to be sat in with noice reduction panels on walls so then noice wont matter. (where currently my server rack is sat in my office with me)

my gaming pc is in the same rack so that isnt quite well its at the level of background noice that become unnoticable and then when underload its unoticable over the noice from my speakers. so as long as i can get the 1u to match that sound wise im happy honestly with my fans running on 7v molex it close but still really nopticable so these noiseblockers fans will solve that.

(i also have another 1u server that runs blower style fans now that is fucking loud to point im not even gonna use it till i get the deddicated room from my rack ha)

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |