VERY SCARED! Windows Kernel event ID 41 error

Androob

Morning Everyone,

I have run into some unique issues with my machine, recently I decided to embark on the journey of upgrading my 2 ish-year-old HP prebuilt desktop. I installed a Zotac 1051ti mini edition (Great card) and a new PSU from corsair rated at 450 watts.

Recently, just after my computer boots into windows and I login, all my regular desktop applications begin to auto load (chrome, Spotify etc) and when I navigate to chrome and make the window full screen my mouse would stop moving, computer freezes and goes black, from there I see the HP logo and I'm taken back to the windows 10 login screen. This happens 7/10 times, but more than enough to become annoying.

I thought at first it could be the components I installed in my computer, and yeah that's probably what your thinking too. But it's not making sense, let me explain. I purchased both the power supply and GPU brand new from my local Canada computers (Canada eh), upon getting home I thought I bought the wrong power supply because one of the connectors didn't fit into my board socket, so I put the supply aside and just installed the GPU into my computer. Keep in mind, this card says it requires a minimum of 300 watts, the stock power supply is rated to a MAXIMUM of 300 watts. 

I installed everything and booted the system, it all worked fine. I stress tested the computer with multiple forms of software and did some benchmarking to see if the system would shut off or anything, I even gamed at 4k ultra in crisis and noticed no computer issues. So funny story I ran back to Canada computers all upset because I thought I'd have to face restocking fees with the PSU, but the worker simply held the connector and split it in two.. yup the connector comes apart to fit my board. So later that night I installed the new power supply and everything worked fine, I used multiple burn testers and stress testing software to see if anything suspicious would happen to my system, nothing did until today. Keep in mind we're on a higher rated power supply now.

I did some googling and ended up looking into event viewer, which led to more googling of this "41 error" which left me with this: 

"The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated. 

An event 41 is used to report that something unexpected happened that prevented Windows from shutting down correctly. There may be insufficient information to explicitly define what happened. To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred.

If event 41 is logged because power to the computer was interrupted, consider obtaining an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) such as a battery backup power supply. An underpowered or failing power supply may cause this behavior. For example, if you added RAM or additional devices or hard disks when this problem began, the power supply may cause the problem." - Microsoft support site

So does anyone have any ideas? My computer honestly works fine 70% of the time, doesn't crash during games or intensive loads. Only during that initial start-up time and oddly enough only with chrome.

All the best,

- Andrew

you should probably look  at the events before the 41 event. the 41 event is just an indicator that your system crashed, but not what errors occured before the crash. you could try repairing windows but i dunno, not enough info to judge this by.

chrome is GPU accelerated. launching it will increase power draw from the PSU. Probably looking at a PSU issue. I had a similar fault around 6 months ago. Corsair RMA is really straight forward.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/12/2016 at 9:11 AM, b.macpherson said:

chrome is GPU accelerated. launching it will increase power draw from the PSU. Probably looking at a PSU issue. I had a similar fault around 6 months ago. Corsair RMA is really straight forward.

On 19/12/2016 at 9:09 AM, Wikiforce said:

it's a psu issue.

On 19/12/2016 at 8:59 AM, tlink said:

you should probably look  at the events before the 41 event. the 41 event is just an indicator that your system crashed, but not what errors occured before the crash. you could try repairing windows but i dunno, not enough info to judge this by.

So I took my power supply back to canada computers, they tested it right in front me and told me it is a defective power supply, I gained in-store credit and decided to install a 750 watt power supply from corsair, not even a day later im seeing 41 error crashes again.. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Reinstall windows... You never know, it may fix it...

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

9 minutes ago, MilfShake said:

Reinstall windows... You never know, it may fix it...

Does that delete all my stuff? I'm new to this.. is there a way to re-install it without affecting my files?

1 minute ago, Androob said:

Does that delete all my stuff? I'm new to this.. is there a way to re-install it without affecting my files?

You will have to reformat the C:\ so everything in there will be gone, things on the other drives will stay.

Just use the Microsoft media creation tool to make a bootable USB drive and install windows from there.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell