Topre switch

Bramm17

Hey guys,

Recently I came across this Topre switch which I never have heard of before and I wanted to know if you guys know about it and if so what are your thoughts?

Its a mechanical switch but also a membrane switch. More quiet then a typical mechanical, all I know its very expensive :P!

(I came across this thread on an other forum which I am not active my self: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40545.600

What is the feel from the Linus Tech Tips community about this Topre switch? Would you be interested in a KB with this switch and what would this keyboard also need like other functions? (backlight, macro, or nothing?)

Thaaaaaaaaaaanks :) :) :)!!

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

I believe they talked about it during CES earlier this year. I haven't tried them, but the price is too high, I prefer my old Genius membrane keyboard (yes, I know, it's cheap, but I'm used to it now xD )

I am fortunate enough to have typed on blue, brown and topre switches for a decent amount of time.

Topre switches are like you said, a mixture of mechanical and membrane switches. They do not give you the hectic feedback like the Cherry MX switches, but they are much more responsive and "bouncy" than normal membrane keys.

If you're looking into Realforce, they have a keyboard which is constructed with switches of different weight configurations. You will have to use more force on the keys that are around your index fingers and less force for the pinkies keys.

Topre switches are very unique and is not as easily acceptable as Cherry MX

Linus talked about them at ces i remember.. Would love to try them one day cause they seem like a fantastic idea but for the time being im happy with my logitech g710+ :) 

Linus talked about them at ces i remember.. Would love to try them one day cause they seem like a fantastic idea but for the time being im happy with my logitech g710+ :)

Even if a Topre keyboard will be twice as expensive as a Cherry MX Mechanical keyboard with the same functions?

I am fortunate enough to have typed on blue, brown and topre switches for a decent amount of time.

Topre switches are like you said, a mixture of mechanical and membrane switches. They do not give you the hectic feedback like the Cherry MX switches, but they are much more responsive and "bouncy" than normal membrane keys.

If you're looking into Realforce, they have a keyboard which is constructed with switches of different weight configurations. You will have to use more force on the keys that are around your index fingers and less force for the pinkies keys.

Topre switches are very unique and is not as easily acceptable as Cherry MX

Yeah they seem like a sweet mix between mechanical and membrane but everything is so focussed on mechanical I wonder if there is market left for a Topre keyboard. Second if it is super expensive I really start having doubts... But I am soo interested in the switch itself would love to know more.. You tried them you said. What brand did you try? (KB manufacturer?) and what cherry mx switch is closest to a topre? or non?

I believe they talked about it during CES earlier this year. I haven't tried them, but the price is too high, I prefer my old Genius membrane keyboard (yes, I know, it's cheap, but I'm used to it now xD )

Yeah that is an other problem, what people are used to.... 

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

There's a 'budget' Topre keyboard in the Topre Type Heaven, but 'budget' in this case means it's about the price of of high end MX keyboard from Filco and Ducky, amongst others. A typical Type Heaven goes for about 150USD IIRC, while higher end RealForce and HHKB keyboards go for well in excess of 200USD. Topre hybrid dome/spring/capacitive switch isn't for everyone though, some like it instantly (like me), some took a few days to weeks to adjust to it, while the remainder simply do not like it at all. I am fortunate to have four such boards, and Topre offer a different feel when one uses it, it is great for both typing (especially so in my opinion) as well as gaming. The Type Heaven comes with lower quality ABS key caps (when compared to PBT's on all RealForce and HHKB keyboards), but the ABS key caps are pretty good on their own.....below is a pic of mine, I'd replaced the key caps on the Type Heaven with blue PBT ones that I'd gotten a while back, the other two are HHKB Professional 2's....

20130907_170228_zpsd540f45d.jpg

Here's a very good review of the Type Heaven, and Topre switch in general...

http://techreport.com/review/25558/topre-type-heaven-mechanical-keyboard-reviewed

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Even if a Topre keyboard will be twice as expensive as a Cherry MX Mechanical keyboard with the same functions?

Yeah they seem like a sweet mix between mechanical and membrane but everything is so focussed on mechanical I wonder if there is market left for a Topre keyboard. Second if it is super expensive I really start having doubts... But I am soo interested in the switch itself would love to know more.. You tried them you said. What brand did you try? (KB manufacturer?) and what cherry mx switch is closest to a topre? or non?

Yeah that is an other problem, what people are used to.... 

Well if you read my sig rig youll realize i care little for cost.. if i want something i buy it regardless of whether it makes sense.. im one of those do as i say not as i do kinda people lol

Well if you read my sig rig youll realize i care little for cost.. if i want something i buy it regardless of whether it makes sense.. im one of those do as i say not as i do kinda people lol

lol yeah but I wonder if a lot of people are like that or the most general public thinks damn dat price...

There's a 'budget' Topre keyboard in the Topre Type Heaven, but 'budget' in this case means it's about the price of of high end MX keyboard from Filco and Ducky, amongst others. A typical Type Heaven goes for about 150USD IIRC, while higher end RealForce and HHKB keyboards go for well in excess of 200USD. Topre hybrid dome/spring/capacitive switch isn't for everyone though, some like it instantly (like me), some took a few days to weeks to adjust to it, while the remainder simply do not like it at all. I am fortunate to have four such boards, and Topre offer a different feel when one uses it, it is great for both typing (especially so in my opinion) as well as gaming. The Type Heaven comes with lower quality ABS key caps (when compared to PBT's on all RealForce and HHKB keyboards), but the ABS key caps are pretty good on their own.....below is a pic of mine, I'd replaced the key caps on the Type Heaven with blue PBT ones that I'd gotten a while back, the other two are HHKB Professional 2's....

20130907_170228_zpsd540f45d.jpg

Here's a very good review of the Type Heaven, and Topre switch in general...

http://techreport.com/review/25558/topre-type-heaven-mechanical-keyboard-reviewed

Ah I see you have a nice large collection of Topre KBs.. You never go back to Cherry Mechanical KBs? Why did you first go for a Topre KB? 

lol yeah but I wonder if a lot of people are like that or the most general public thinks damn dat price...

Ah I see you have a nice large collection of Topre KBs.. You never go back to Cherry Mechanical KBs? Why did you first go for a Topre KB? 

general public think damn that price im sure lol i dont know anyone thatll drop the cash i do on random tech just cause i want it :P

You have a very good system, definitely high end, but not quite enthusiast level. BTW, not everyone looks at the sig, and having a high end system does exactly mean that one is willing to spend on an expensive keyboard as most tend to overlook the keyboard when they put together a high end system.

I tried Topre as an experiment since I had, at that time, collect a good number of keyboards with various switches (MX Red/Black/Blue/Green/Brown and an MX Clear keyboard a little after getting my 2nd Topre). I was surprised that I fell in love with the Topre feel, it has a different kind of smoothness (some likened it to the smoothness of a piano key), much smoother than even MX Red switch. My present daily drivers are -

Main rig - Ducky Shine 2 78Version + Gray HHKB Pro 2

2nd rig - Leopold FC660M MX Clear

3rd rig - Topre Type Heaven

I still love using my MX keyboards, especially Black, Green and Clear, I favor heavier/stiffer switch types actually. Below is a pic of my keyboard collection which stood at 15 then, I now have 19...this pic was before I'd acquired a Ducky YOTS edition, two more Topre keyboards, and my Leopold FC660M. Btw, the keyboard up front, with the yellow key caps, is a Topre 103UB-55G, my fave Topre keyboard due to its 55g force, unlike the Type Heaven and HHKB 2's which are 45g. If you have the chance to try a buckling spring (BS) keyboard, do it.......BS is difinitely the most awesome switch to use, but it's awfully loud.....which is part of its charm actually.

20130818_145931_zpsb1c14000.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Damn look at that collection :P!!

You have a very good system, definitely high end, but not quite enthusiast level. BTW, not everyone looks at the sig, and having a high end system does exactly mean that one is willing to spend on an expensive keyboard as most tend to overlook the keyboard when they put together a high end system.

I tried Topre as an experiment since I had, at that time, collect a good number of keyboards with various switches (MX Red/Black/Blue/Green/Brown and an MX Clear keyboard a little after getting my 2nd Topre). I was surprised that I fell in love with the Topre feel, it has a different kind of smoothness (some likened it to the smoothness of a piano key), much smoother than even MX Red switch. My present daily drivers are -

Main rig - Ducky Shine 2 78Version + Gray HHKB Pro 2

2nd rig - Leopold FC660M MX Clear

3rd rig - Topre Type Heaven

I still love using my MX keyboards, especially Black, Green and Clear, I favor heavier/stiffer switch types actually. Below is a pic of my keyboard collection which stood at 15 then, I now have 19...this pic was before I'd acquired a Ducky YOTS edition, two more Topre keyboards, and my Leopold FC660M. Btw, the keyboard up front, with the yellow key caps, is a Topre 103UB-55G, my fave Topre keyboard due to its 55g force, unlike the Type Heaven and HHKB 2's which are 45g. If you have the chance to try a buckling spring (BS) keyboard, do it.......BS is difinitely the most awesome switch to use, but it's awfully loud.....which is part of its charm actually.

20130818_145931_zpsb1c14000.jpg

True.. and yeah its not exactly enthusiast yet lol ill be switching to the lga2011 platform soon and getting 780's because of the awesome price drop ;) my dads buying my current rig more likely then not to fund that upgrade lol

dude....i know you're a gamer, but where do you store all of that? i saw some guy build a glass case.  my '5' boards are relegated to under my bed lol.

dude....i know you're a gamer, but where do you store all of that? i saw some guy build a glass case.  my '5' boards are relegated to under my bed lol.

You even have 5, damnit I feel such a newb with just 2 keyboards (1 cherry mx brown, current one I am using, 1 cherry mx red, old one dont use anymore)... Will it become 3 with Topre :P??? Still not sure .. :D

I'll stick with my membrane thanks.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I'll stick with my membrane thanks.

Topre is still the better membrane. If you have the chance or want to try Topre one day i think you will love it.

And if you don't you can sell it on geekhack for almost the same retail price. You just need 50 posts :P

Topre is still the better membrane. If you have the chance or want to try Topre one day i think you will love it.

And if you don't you can sell it on geekhack for almost the same retail price. You just need 50 posts :P

Does Topre come in chiclet keys? if not, then i'll pass.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Does Topre come in chiclet keys? if not, then i'll pass.

Well i guess then you will pass because there is no chiclet version. :P

I really despise my laptop chiclet keys. I don't know how anyone could love those beasts. Soon i will have my hands on a HHKB pro 2

Well i guess then you will pass because there is no chiclet version. :P

I really despise my laptop chiclet keys. I don't know how anyone could love those beasts. Soon i will have my hands on a HHKB pro 2

I love chiclet :c

This logitech k360 is the most comfortable keyboard I have ever typed on (including multiple different mechanicals)

Except chicklet keyboards aren't membrane...they're scissor switches.

I forgot about that. Probably why i don't like them :P

I was surprised that I fell in love with the Topre feel, it has a different kind of smoothness (some likened it to the smoothness of a piano key)

Well great, now I want a Topre switch keyboard. Thanks.  :angry:  :rolleyes:

I love chiclet :c

This logitech k360 is the most comfortable keyboard I have ever typed on (including multiple different mechanicals)

I reject your reality and substitute my own! Hahaha the name :D!! But really? Why do you like chiclet so much? Ok if you love membrane above mechanical Topre could maybe indeed be a nice switch for you .. 

I reject your reality and substitute my own! Hahaha the name :D!! But really? Why do you like chiclet so much? Ok if you love membrane above mechanical Topre could maybe indeed be a nice switch for you .. 

I like the low profile keys :)

I bottom out keys regardless, mechanical keyboards are all high keys, which I don't like.

Topre so yummy it goes thock thock thock. As long as you dont get the leopold or the type heaven you get pbt caps stock too.