will a pentium g2120 bottleneck a 1050 2GB?

Go to solution Solved by Dabombinable,
6 minutes ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

well, the cpu does not take a toll on the graphics card.  that's not how these things work.

and seeing yer other replies on other threads, I can't really say you sound like ye know completely what yer talking about. yer in the ballpark, but even then it's iffy.

Long story short, the G2120 is too weak to keep the GTX 1050 "fed", due to the low clock speed (without Turbo boost to help with that as well)+being a dual core+only being 3rd gen. Its weaker than an LGA775 (2007-2009) uad core at 3GHz BTW.

Edit: But it would be possible to get a far better CPU in the future on the same motherboard-one that wouldn't even bottleneck a GTX 1080.....

So I got a 1050 2GB for only 90 USD as a christmas gift for my little brother.

He is using my old rig with a pentium g2120, so I was wondering if that CPU will bottleneck the card

Yes, bottle-necking will occur

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

Just now, MagnusGrønstad said:

about how much?

Will it bottleneck hard? 

About 35% to 50% bottle-necking. Because the cpu is dual core it really takes a toll on the graphics card.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

Just now, Joseph Hartness said:

About 35% to 50% bottle-necking. Because the cpu is dual core it really takes a toll on the graphics card.

well, the cpu does not take a toll on the graphics card.  that's not how these things work.

and seeing yer other replies on other threads, I can't really say you sound like ye know completely what yer talking about. yer in the ballpark, but even then it's iffy.

6 minutes ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

Long story short, the G2120 is too weak to keep the GTX 1050 "fed", due to the low clock speed (without Turbo boost to help with that as well)+being a dual core+only being 3rd gen. Its weaker than an LGA775 (2007-2009) uad core at 3GHz BTW.

Edit: But it would be possible to get a far better CPU in the future on the same motherboard-one that wouldn't even bottleneck a GTX 1080.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

19 minutes ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

So I got a 1050 2GB for only 90 USD as a christmas gift for my little brother.

He is using my old rig with a pentium g2120, so I was wondering if that CPU will bottleneck the card

Probably will, with the CPU trying to run as near to capacity as it can to keep up.

Doesnt really matter though ... even if the CPU is busy you'll get the best possible frames it can support, and you can adjust resolution up / down to balance as much as possible.

At the $90 price point, i'd just plug it in and see.    

Dont expect to use on anything more than 1080p/60Hz at best though.

If he finds it a problem you could check ebay for a sandy bridge i5 or i7. Depends on what he is playing.

6 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

was afraid so. might have t olook for a better cpu for him soon then.

6 hours ago, Rohime said:

Probably will, with the CPU trying to run as near to capacity as it can to keep up.

Doesnt really matter though ... even if the CPU is busy you'll get the best possible frames it can support, and you can adjust resolution up / down to balance as much as possible.

At the $90 price point, i'd just plug it in and see.    

Dont expect to use on anything more than 1080p/60Hz at best though.

he is just playing at 60Hz at a 1080p resolution. but thanks for a proper answer

6 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

If he finds it a problem you could check ebay for a sandy bridge i5 or i7. Depends on what he is playing.

he is playing mostly payday2, left 4 dead 2, and maybe some gta5 later on. I'm gonna check if I can find an i7 or i5 for his socket,.

4 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Not only will it bottleneck but in games optimized for 4 threads it will stutter, which is worse, left 4 dead 2 shouldn't be an issue, but GTA5...

GTA V wouldn't be playable, full stop. Pentiums dual cores really don't handle games well unless its something from the Pentium 4 era.

PMSL

Pentiums are not good for AAA gaming. My G3258 was terrible for most AAA games at 4.4 GHz. One exception was Bioshock Infinite, that game played really well even at the base 3.2 GHz clock of my G3258. But mostly it was a stutter fest in other games whether I ran it at 3.2 GHz stock or overclocked it to 4.4 GHz.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Pentiums are not good for AAA gaming. My G3258 was terrible for most AAA games at 4.4 GHz. One exception was Bioshock Infinite, that game played really well even at the base 3.2 GHz clock of my G3258. But mostly it was a stutter fest.

It was a stutter fest in Skyrim for me when I was running my Core 2 Duo E8500 at 4.4GHz, and just fine when I replaced it with my Xeon X5450, which was run at stock due to the weak motherboard (Asus P5K VM).

PMSL

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It was a stutter fest in Skyrim for me when I was running my Core 2 Duo E8500 at 4.4GHz, and just fine when I replaced it with my Xeon X5450, which was run at stock due to the weak motherboard (Asus P5K VM).

Yeah Skyrim ran really badly for me on my G3258 at 4.4 GHz. Lots of oscillating framerates and such, and thus laggy input and an overall horrible experience.

1 hour ago, Strike105X said:

They optimized it well with Skyrim SE though. Just like FO4 that plays well with on OC G3258 and a hi frequency RAM stick, to be fair games that aren't optimized for 4 threads run pretty well on an G3258, in all fairness most games even from 2013 onwards run good on the G3258 (with OC), except about 50% of the tripple A titles, with some not working at all. Don't take it as me recommending the Pentium for gaming though, far from it. Anything lower in terms of threads then an i3 isn't a good investment this days for PC gaming.

Well lets not go to far, any game till 2013 when Dragon Inquisition was launched will run great on something like the G3258 or even a higher frequency pentium.

If stuttering badly is your definition of great, then fine..... Oh and BTW, you wouldn't be playing Fallout 4 well on a Pentium G3258 when my i5 4440 struggled, with all 4 cores maxing out without mods being installed. And Skyrim SE has the same engine as Fallout 4. And remember, we are talking about an older Pentium, one which is locked to 3.1GHz and doesn't allow overclocking at all, a Pentium which is slower then my Core 2 Duo E8500 at 4.4GHz (which stuttered badly in all games, unlike my $50 Xeon X5450 at stock)

PMSL

3 hours ago, Strike105X said:

in all fairness most games even from 2013 onwards run good on the G3258 (with OC), except about 50% of the tripple A titles, with some not working at all.

That wasn't my experience at all with my 4.4 GHz G3258. For me it was great for Core 2 Duo era games from 2010 and before. Stuff like the Modern Warfare series and Crysis 1 ran great on it. But the games I played that felt horrible on it were Tomb Raider 2013, Skyrim, and Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor. I got this constantly oscillating framerate that varied between 40 fps and 100 fps on my GTX 970, it felt like a sine curve or something. And of course Far Cry 4 (which I got free with my 970) wouldn't even launch. I never played GTA V on my real Pentium, but when I disabled two cores and hyperthreading on my Xeon E3-1231v3 to give essentially a 3.8 GHz Haswell Pentium (but with 8MB L3 cache vs the Pentium's 3MB) it was completely unplayable with my GTX 970. E.g. drops into the 20 fps range.

I know it's stupid to pair a GTX 970 with a Pentium, but I bought it a couple of weeks before I got my Xeon since the 970 was on sale and I didn't have the money for the CPU yet. But clockspeed can't make up core count deficit at all, it is no substitute. Hyperthreading can be though. I was amazed how well GTA V played on my Xeon E3-1231v3 when I turned off two cores but left hyperthreading on to simulate a 3.8 GHz Haswell i3. My GPU usage at 1080p mostly ultra settings was about 85% and the framerate was usually above 60 and very rarely under 52.

6 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Actually its not that it wasn't your experience, its because our gaming preferences and gaming choices differ greatly, the only game we got in common from what you mentioned is Skyrim, and like i said the original Skyrim Legendary game stutters like crazy on the G3258 for me as well, it was only with the Skyrim SE version of the game that it didn't stutter anymore. I never played Tomb Raider and Mordor, like i said i was never into AAA that much till recently :p. But you probably didn't play Ace Combat, Onechanbara, Tales of Symphonia, or Dead or Alive 5 :p, though i am curious if you gave it a try with Project Cars, it ran fine with that game for me. If you read my post carefully i did say that with AAA titles it has many issues, only mentioning that it doesn't mean that all AAA wont work with it, since there still are even among AAA titles some that still do work with it.

Please just stop. You obviously don't know what a CPU bottleneck is, or how they feel, when your using a powerful graphics card (which the 1050 is).

3 hours ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

please do not use this thread for disussing this.

I recommend that you get a GTX 950 or GTX 750ti for your brothers machine-I'm doing the same for my brother once I can afford it, as the rig that I can give him so far only has an old&slow PCX 5750/FX 5700 to go with the Core 2 Duo E8500 (the FX5700 is terrible for games such as Halo 1 and COD its that bad).

PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Please just stop. You obviously don't know what a CPU bottleneck is, or how they feel, when your using a powerful graphics card (which the 1050 is).

I recommend that you get a GTX 950 or GTX 750ti for your brothers machine-I'm doing the same for my brother once I can afford it, as the rig that I can give him so far only has an old&slow PCX 5750/FX 5700 to go with the Core 2 Duo E8500 (the FX5700 is terrible for games such as Halo 1 and COD its that bad).

I already bought the 1050 for him.

30 minutes ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

I already bought the 1050 for him.

Ok, just get him a better CPU next year then (i5 or i7), plus a game or 2 to go with it.

PMSL