Thoughts on my first build

Hey guys! This is the very first I build a PC and I would really appreciate if you guys could take a look and tell me what you think!

This is what I have in mind:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
  • Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
  • Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
  • Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card   *
  • Case: Aerocool Aero-800 ATX Mid Tower Case **
  • Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply 
  • Monitor: LG 29UM68 29.0" 2560x1080 75Hz ***

* I'll be getting a GTX 1070 I'm just not 100% sure which one yet. My options are FTW, Galax EX OC, Zotac Mini, SC Gaming, AMP! Edition or Strix. I would love to get a Strix but Zotac Mini and Galax are cheaper in Brazil.
** I'm not sure about the case yet. I'll need to check which ones are available in the store by the time I actually get to buy the components.
*** I already have bought this monitor. So this is the one I'll be using with the build.

I'll be using this PC for some Photoshop work and gaming. I would like to run BF1, GTA V, Overwatch, Doom on very high or maybe ultra settings if possible.

So, what do you guys think?

looks really good get a z170 of you are overclocking. if you do not plan to overclock drop the 6600k and get a 6500 the k chips are designed to overclocked. 

1. Ditch the cooler, use stock

2. Get a newer SSD if you can

3. Get a GPU with a beefier cooler, 2 fans

4. That PSU is bad

Get a better PSU and SSD

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

7 minutes ago, Lucianoinfanti said:

Hey guys! This is the very first I build a PC and I would really appreciate if you guys could take a look and tell me what you think!

This is what I have in mind:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
  • Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
  • Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
  • Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card   *
  • Case: Aerocool Aero-800 ATX Mid Tower Case **
  • Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply 
  • Monitor: LG 29UM68 29.0" 2560x1080 75Hz ***

* I'll be getting a GTX 1070 I'm just not 100% sure which one yet. My options are FTW, Galax EX OC, Zotac Mini, SC Gaming, AMP! Edition or Strix. I would love to get a Strix but Zotac Mini and Galax are cheaper in Brazil.
** I'm not sure about the case yet. I'll need to check which ones are available in the store by the time I actually get to buy the components.
*** I already have bought this monitor. So this is the one I'll be using with the build.

I'll be using this PC for some Photoshop work and gaming. I would like to run BF1, GTA V, Overwatch, Doom on very high or maybe ultra settings if possible.

So, what do you guys think?

Since you have a 1070, I would recommend getting a 6600k with a z170 motherboard. Its not really necessary though. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Drop the H55 as you won't be overclocking with a locked CPU and change the PSU to something made by seasonic (any of em), XFX (any as well but the XT line of PSUs), EVGA B2/G2/GQ/GS, Corsair RM/HX/RMi/RMx/HXi/CXM (with a white and/or grey label, this is important as the old CX PSUs with a green label are shite), anything superflower, CBA listing anymore.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

-Use Stock Cooler or buy other air cooler 212 evo or pure rock

-Psu could be better

pick something from tier 2 from this list.

Nah, anything from Tier 3 and above is fine ;) 

2 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Yes it will but if he can afford 1070 why not a few bucks for better PSU :)

My built is not that good but i use tier 2 psu the EDGE 550W because G2 is not available in here..

True but at the same time, some of the T3 PSUs can be considerably cheaper than T2 PSUs so...

U really value ur money eh :P 

yes even the corsair cxm grey will do just fine..anyway its up to the op to decide. :) 

It's kinda obvious that he's on a set budget and he's trying real hard to get a 1070 into that budget so I may as well recommend the cheapest but good enough PSUs :P 

This is your build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($91.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($121.04 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.60 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card  ($389.99 @ Jet) 
Case: Aerocool Aero-800 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($80.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: LG 29UM68 29.0" 2560x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($378.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1490.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-16 19:30 EST-0500

This is why I think it's bad

• You don't gain anything from spending $60 on an aftermarket watercooler. With a locked CPU, you won't see a justifiable improvement over the stock cooler.
  • That's way too much for 16GB of RAM- almost double what you should be paying.
  • Go cheap or go Z170. You don't benefit much a more expensive B150 board.
  • That SSD is cancer. It's known to actually perform worse than some traditional hard drives. It doesn't come with the same controller as advertised.
  • That's a anemic 1070 designed for niche mini-itx builds. There are better and cheaper variants out there.
  • That power supply is horrible. Bad power supplies can fry your whole system when they fail. Do you really want to risk $1100 worth of PC parts on that?
  • That's way too much for a 1080p ultrawide monitor, and 2560x1080 is hardly an appropriate resolution for a card that's faster than a Titan X.

This is a much better build for the same price

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.78 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($379.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.98 @ B&H) 
Monitor: AOC U3477PQU 34.0" 3440x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($549.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1528.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-16 19:38 EST-0500

Every single part of the second build is better.

• An overclockable K-CPU improves performance, longevity, and resale value. The 6600k also represents the 'sweet spot' for a gaming CPU.
  • The Hyper 212 EVO has been the undisputed champion of value aftermarket coolers, and it's incredible.
  • A Z170 motherboard such as the ASRock Z170 Pro4S will allow you to achieve said overclock.
  • That's RAM from a reputable manufacturer at a far more reasonable price.
  • The PNY CS1311 is among the best value SSDs on the market. It's infinitely better than the V300. 
  • The WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD has been found to be more reliable, along with its variants. WD also has a better reputation and better customer support.
  • This GTX 1070 has a vastly superior cooler, allowing the card to run both cooler and quiter, and perform better due to faster clock speeds that a small cooler can't handle.
  • The case is among the foremost value offerings on the market with its good build quality, plentiful building space, attractive colour scheme, two included blue LED fans, and a side-panel window.
  • The power supply comes from the most reliable brand in the business, and the model itself is probably the best you can get for the money.
  • The monitor will provide a vastly superior ultrawide experience with its bigger and sharper screen due to the increase in both size and resolution.

26 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

looks really good get a z170 of you are overclocking. if you do not plan to overclock drop the 6600k and get a 6500 the k chips are designed to overclocked. 

I won't be overclocking that's why I got the i5 6600. About the Z170... yeah I wanted that one but in Brazil this motherboard is stupidly expensive. That's why I'm going for the B150.

23 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Get a better PSU and SSD

Everyone mentioned the PSU and I'll be definitely looking into that. But about the SSD, do you recommend any SSD in particular?

21 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

-Use Stock Cooler or buy other air cooler 212 evo or pure rock

-Psu could be better

pick something from tier 2 from this list.

Some people mentioned that the water cooler is unnecessary. I live in a very very hot city and that's why I thought water cooling would be better. Do you think the 212 evo can handle it?
Thanks a lot for the link! I'll be checking it!

14 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It's kinda obvious that he's on a set budget and he's trying real hard to get a 1070 into that budget so I may as well recommend the cheapest but good enough PSUs :P 

I am in a budget and I really want to get a 1070 but I'm willing to spend a little more and get a really good PSU. The only think I don't think I can change is the motherboard because the extremely high prices in my country.

13 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

This is your build

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($91.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($121.04 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.60 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card  ($389.99 @ Jet) 
Case: Aerocool Aero-800 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($80.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: LG 29UM68 29.0" 2560x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($378.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1490.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-16 19:30 EST-0500

This is why I think it's bad

• You don't gain anything from spending $60 on a watercooler.
  • That's way too much for 16GB of RAM.
  • Go cheap or go Z170. You don't benefit much a more expensive B150 board.
  • That SSD is cancer. It's known to actually perform worse than some traditional hard drives. It doesn't come with the same controller as advertised.
  • That's a anemic 1070 designed for niche mini-itx builds. There are better and cheaper variants out there.
  • That power supply is horrible. Bad power supplies can fry your whole system when they fail. Do you really want to risk $1100 worth of PC parts on that?
  • That's way too much for a 1080p ultrawide monitor, and 2560x1080 is hardly an appropriate resolution for a card that's faster than a Titan X.

This is a much better build for the same price

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.78 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($379.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.98 @ B&H) 
Total: $1528.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-16 19:38 EST-0500

Every single part of the second build is better.

Wow that's a lot to process. I thought 16 GB of RAM would be necessary because the Photosho work I need to do. I'll forget about the water cooler but I won't be able to get a Z170. I don't know why but motherboards in Brazil are very expensive.

I'll be looking for a new SSD since some people mentioned it sucks.

And I'll mostly likely get a GTX 1070 Galax OC or FTW.

5 minutes ago, Lucianoinfanti said:

Wow that's a lot to process. I thought 16 GB of RAM would be necessary because the Photosho work I need to do. I'll forget about the water cooler but I won't be able to get a Z170. I don't know why but motherboards in Brazil are very expensive.

I'll be looking for a new SSD since some people mentioned it sucks.

And I'll mostly likely get a GTX 1070 Galax OC or FTW.

If you can't a Z170 board, don't get a K-CPU, because you won't be able to overclock it without a Z170 board. Don't get an aftermarket cooler because you won't gain much from it unless you have a K-CPU.

16GB of RAM will help you with Photoshop. You just bought a really expensive kit in your build.

Also, I live in New Delhi. We've hit 50 degrees celsius in the summer. That's 122 degrees farenheit. It heats up to 38-40 degrees indoors at times. If you can stand it, so can your CPU with a stock cooler.

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

If you can't a Z170 board, don't get a K-CPU, because you won't be able to overclock it without a Z170 board. Don't get an aftermarket cooler because you won't gain much from it unless you have a K-CPU.

16GB of RAM will help you with Photoshop. You just bought a really expensive kit in your build.

I'm planning to get an i5 6600 (without the K). This processor is not for overclocking, right?

If I don't get a K-CPU I won't even need an aftermarket cooler at all? The idea of not having one is really scary haha.

6 minutes ago, Lucianoinfanti said:

I'm planning to get an i5 6600 (without the K). This processor is not for overclocking, right?

If I don't get a K-CPU I won't even need an aftermarket cooler at all? The idea of not having one is really scary haha.

You'll be fine. I would get a really cheap H110 motherboard and a 6700 (non-k) instead. It'll perform even better than the 6600k. However, if you can afford to wait, then wait until AMD announces more Zen products (early next year). They just beat one of Intel's top-of-the-line CPUs by a significant margin, and will probably sell these CPUs at half the price Intel does or less.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($304.99 @ Jet) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1533.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-16 20:13 EST-0500

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

You'll be fine. I would get a really cheap H110 motherboard and a 6700 (non-k) instead. It'll perform even better than the 6600k. However, if you can afford to wait, then wait until AMD announces more Zen products. They just beat one of Intel's top-of-the-line CPUs by a significant margin, and will probably sell these CPUs at half the price Intel does or less.

I think I'll do exactly what you said! And I could wait but there is usually a huge delay before new products hits Brazilian markets. And the way things work here, this new AMD processor will be really expensive.

1 minute ago, Lucianoinfanti said:

I think I'll do exactly what you said! And I could wait but there is usually a huge delay before new products hits Brazilian markets. And the way things work here, this new AMD processor will be really expensive.

You could always have it shipped to Brazil using Amazon international shipping - along with other parts.

24 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

You could always have it shipped to Brazil using Amazon international shipping - along with other parts.

Our laws make it hard to buy stuff in international websites like Amazon or Ebay. Also, Brazil is known for lots of high taxes. But yeah I'll definitely check it out! Maybe I can save some money.

Oh but what about warrants?

Edit:
I tried Amazon. But check this:
Import Fees Deposit     $734.10

Not worth it at all. :(

3 minutes ago, Lucianoinfanti said:

Our laws make it hard to buy stuff in international websites like Amazon or Ebay. Also, Brazil is known for lots of high taxes. But yeah I'll definitely check it out! Maybe I can save some money.

Oh but what about warrants?

Warrants?

22 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Warrants?

My bad, I actually meant to say warranty. You know, like those ""3-Year Protection" things. I don't think this protection is international.

Anyways I checked Amazon and I won't be buying on it because the Import Fees Deposit.

Price: $429.00 + $448.81 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Brazil

Are u committing crime or something? :P 

did u mean warranty?

Hahaha my bad! xD

4 minutes ago, Lucianoinfanti said:

My bad, I actually meant to say warranty. You know, like those ""3-Year Protection" things. I don't think this protection is international.

Anyways I checked Amazon and I won't be buying on it because the Import Fees Deposit.

Price: $429.00 + $448.81 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Brazil

Jesus Christ! I live in India and I don't get charged that much to ship from Amazon USA!

10 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Jesus Christ! I live in India and I don't get charged that much to ship from Amazon USA!

I know right. As I said it is really hard for us to buy stuff on international websites. Brazil sucks. :(

I'll try to find the components you said before in Brazilian websites. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to find most of them.