budget server idea

mpsparrow

I am interested in possibly building a server that I can use to help me with my web development and whatnot. I already store my files on a family NAS, so it isn't so much for backing up my computer. Also, I am not talking about a server that I run public websites off of, but rather one that I can use for localhost testing and website file storage.

I have just received all the parts for my new desktop build. Because of that, I don't plan on building a server right now because I am broke after building my desktop (not really, but I don't want to spend any more money until I save up some). But I am going to start searching around so that I can watch for some really good sales.

Anyway, looking for suggestions for a powerful server, lets say around the $600-$1000 CAD (CANADIAN) range. Should be able to support raid 0, 1, and 5. Also I think having it use two SSDs around 240gb plus a third ssd or m.2 to run the software would be good. Lastly a simple server looking case is all that is needed. Doesn't need to me rack mountable, although +1 if it is.

21 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

I am interested in possibly building a server that I can use to help me with my web development and whatnot. I already store my files on a family NAS, so it isn't so much for backing up my computer. Also, I am not talking about a server that I run public websites off of, but rather one that I can use for localhost testing and website file storage.

I have just received all the parts for my new desktop build. Because of that, I don't plan on building a server right now because I am broke after building my desktop (not really, but I don't want to spend any more money until I save up some). But I am going to start searching around so that I can watch for some really good sales.

Anyway, looking for suggestions for a powerful server, lets say around the $600-$1000 CAD (CANADIAN) range. Should be able to support raid 0, 1, and 5. Also I think having it use two SSDs around 240gb plus a third ssd or m.2 to run the software would be good. Lastly a simple server looking case is all that is needed. Doesn't need to me rack mountable, although +1 if it is.

Find a already built server on Kijiji and then add 2 ssds (that is what I did for myself)(almost every server supports raid).

1 minute ago, Skittleslovers02 said:

Find a already built server on Kijiji and then add 2 ssds (that is what I did for myself)(almost every server supports raid).

I live in a bum area for Kijiji. But I will still check nonetheless.

Just now, mpsparrow said:

i live near there btw, I found multiple servers for sale...

1 minute ago, Skittleslovers02 said:

i live near there btw, I found multiple servers for sale...

Near where? How do you know where I live?

Just now, mpsparrow said:

Near where? How do you know where I live?

i am tried from a day at work... thought you said durham... really old monitor so bad graphics...

3 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

2 minutes ago, Skittleslovers02 said:

i am tried from a day at work... thought you said durham... really old monitor so bad graphics...

I live about 2 hours east of durham. I actually was able to find a few good listings. Don't know if Kijiji links are allowed on these forums, but is this any good? http://www.kijiji.ca/v-servers/canada/dell-poweredge-server-ibm-systemx-server-hp-proliant-server-hp-workstation-dell-workstation/c126183?channelId=104