Using an add on lan card AND the on board?

Bill Cosby

Basically, i just picked up a pretty nice Linksys lan card, and i would like to know if i can hook up an ethernet cable to the card AND to my onboard lan to gain performance? Or will it just take the lan off of one of the ports.

I have TWO cables running into my room so thats not a problem, now that i figured out my switch :)

You can only bond "team" the same nic's and only the ones that support that feature, on-board lan does not.

Also you need to have another pc/server with bonded interfaces to leverage the additional speed.

Maybe there is a software implementation. As far as i'm aware this only works with servers that run virtual machines.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

It will only use one of the connections. Both will be connected but only one will be used. If you google around you might find a software that can combine them.

What do you want to transfer data from? If it's from a local source in your lan it will have to be able to provide the speed you can achive with two lan cables. If the source is hooked up with only one lan cable then your two to your pc will make do difference

If you do get it working, unless you have a high performance I/O storage solution you won't see any increase in performance in your local LAN.

That being said I don't know that there is a way to get this working with your onboard adapter and Linksys adapater. We have this setup on some of our servers at work but they use two Broadcom cards to do it and they cost about $450 a pop.

I have never tried this personally, but maybe Bridge connections?

Bridge Connections isn't for load balancing. It is for sharing an internet connection from the computer with another device.

Even if you can team them up on your pc, you need a managed switch/router that allows link teaming. Those usually are pretty expensive.
Unless you are doing pc to pc, but even then simple smart switches with ling aggregation support aren't that expensive anymore.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Even if you can team them up on your pc, you need a managed switch/router that allows link teaming. Those usually are pretty expensive.
Last time I checked I couldn't afford one :p maybe I didn't check the right ones then...