troubleshooting ipv4 and ipv6

ilyas001

hi guys i'm working on my ccna 1 i have a issue with this exercise 

first thing why is the dns server and the server having the same ip address ? i don't get this at all how is this happening ?

also at the last question i'm pinging pc2 from pc3 using ipv6 but it didn't work the solution was that the ipv4 gateway wasn't configured well , my question is , i thought that i could work with ipv4 or ipv6 or both but as long as i'm pinging with ipv6  why would i even consider ipv4 ? 

thanks and if needed i can send you the pka and pdf files of the exercice 

34 minutes ago, ilyas001 said:

hi guys i'm working on my ccna 1 i have a issue with this exercise 

first thing why is the dns server and the server having the same ip address ? i don't get this at all how is this happening ?

also at the last question i'm pinging pc2 from pc3 using ipv6 but it didn't work the solution was that the ipv4 gateway wasn't configured well , my question is , i thought that i could work with ipv4 or ipv6 or both but as long as i'm pinging with ipv6  why would i even consider ipv4 ? 

thanks and if needed i can send you the pka and pdf files of the exercice 

do pc2 and pc3 both have ipv6 enabled, also does your router even support ipv6, most consumer ones don't

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

i was ale to ping using ipv6 my server my dns server my router i just couldn't do it when i tried with pc3 to pc2 just because pc 2 didn't have his ipv4 gateway address why ? 

if you have packet tracer i think it's better that i send you the file itself 

The DNS server and the Dual Stack server have the same address because it performs all of those functions. In large environments you don't want to bog down the routers with keeping DNS and DHCP entries on them so you designate a much larger and more powerful server to do this and lookups get routed to that server (in many instances it's a large pool of servers).

You would consider IPv4 because some places are IPv4 only still and don't have IPv6 enabled/ready yet.

Where is the gateway not configured? I'm assuming on the switch, in which case you would need to configure a gateway.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The DNS server and the Dual Stack server have the same address because it performs all of those functions. In large environments you don't want to bog down the routers with keeping DNS and DHCP entries on them so you designate a much larger and more powerful server to do this and lookups get routed to that server (in many instances it's a large pool of servers).

You would consider IPv4 because some places are IPv4 only still and don't have IPv6 enabled/ready yet.

Where is the gateway not configured? I'm assuming on the switch, in which case you would need to configure a gateway.

no the gateway wasn't configured on pc 2 and because of that it refused to ping back my ipv6 ping and that was not logic for me , i mean you can look by yourself at around 7:40 minute in the video he will get to that question 

and i still don't get your answer about dns ,it says that i have 2 servers the dual stack server and the dns one but  i see only one server in this topologie , from what i understood you are saying that this server can represent many servers in a row that have the same ip address , so it's like a cloud for the company own websites and dns servers ? 

3 minutes ago, ilyas001 said:

no the gateway wasn't configured on pc 2 and because of that it refused to ping back my ipv6 ping and that was not logic for me , i mean you can look by yourself at around 7:40 minute in the video he will get to that question 

and i still don't get your answer about dns ,it says that i have 2 servers the dual stack server and the dns one but  i see only one server in this topologie , from what i understood you are saying that this server can represent many servers in a row that have the same ip address , so it's like a cloud for the company own websites and dns servers ? 

Ah, I see. So the lack of IPv4 default gateway appears to be related to another issue but is being fixed in the end, or at least as far as I can tell. If you look at the problem list, the third one down asks if it can ping the IPv4 gateway, in which case the answer is no so you need to fix that.

As for the servers, yes. That IP address could be a public IP address that has many servers behind it with internal addresses that it communicates with and masks with a single address.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

You can check the packet hop by hop with the packet tracer. Don't remember what they called it, something other than real time mode though.

Have you done that?

How did it look?

12 minutes ago, U.Ho said:

You can check the packet hop by hop with the packet tracer. Don't remember what they called it, something other than real time mode though.

Have you done that?

How did it look?

sorry i don't know what you are talking about i never heard of this option , the thing is that if i use it it would be to  test my network but the network is already configured and the topology made , i didn't do anything i just download it  then launched it ,and the goal of the exercise is to follow the orders in the pdf and then correct the mistakes 

18 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ah, I see. So the lack of IPv4 default gateway appears to be related to another issue but is being fixed in the end, or at least as far as I can tell. If you look at the problem list, the third one down asks if it can ping the IPv4 gateway, in which case the answer is no so you need to fix that.

As for the servers, yes. That IP address could be a public IP address that has many servers behind it with internal addresses that it communicates with and masks with a single address.

yeah but i'm pinging with ipv6 and both pc's have a fll ipv6 config with a link local a default gateway and a ipv6 address and a dns server address so as long as i have all this why would i need ipv4 gateway if i have the ipv6 gateway that's what's making me think it doesn't make sence 

5 hours ago, ilyas001 said:

sorry i don't know what you are talking about i never heard of this option , the thing is that if i use it it would be to  test my network but the network is already configured and the topology made , i didn't do anything i just download it  then launched it ,and the goal of the exercise is to follow the orders in the pdf and then correct the mistakes 

I'm talking about simulation mode.

Packet tracer starts with real time mode, but there's an option for simulation mode where you can run say an ipv6 ping and you'll see everything that happens step by step when you do it. 

I'm afraid I have removed my packet tracer and can't be arsed to install it again, but simulation mode might help you understand the mechanics of whatever packet movement you need to understand.