Any decent Asymmetric Class-Based PvP games out there?

Kevin_Walter

I'm trying to fill the void left by Nosgoth. For those who don't know, Nosgoth was a game based on the Legacy of Kain series that was shut down entirely earlier this year after being in development/beta for around a year or so. Basically, there weren't enough players to justify further development or even maintenance... plus Psyonix went on to have great success with stupid Rocket League... -_-

Anywho, the game was a F2P 4v4 PvP game where one team played Vampires and the other team played Humans. Within these two factions, there were several classes and they all played differently and had different strengths and weaknesses, not just between the classes themselves but within the factions. For instance, humans in general were ranged attackers who were pretty squishy while vampires relied mostly on melee, had more health, could heal themselves by eating corpses, and could climb on walls. 

I can't think of any games like it. There are asymmetric PvP games, sure... Evolve is one of them. Left 4 Dead is another. But these kinds of games aren't really the same kind of gameplay as Nosgoth, which really focused on the PvP element whereas most others seem to have other objectives and aren't so much focused on unique faction battles. 

So... does anything like Nosgoth exist?

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

You mean you don't like playing against the same 5 no lives that populate the last server? Unfortunately the most recent game I've seen that's like Nosgoth is Evolve, which is a bit dead too.

Look through warowls uploads to youtube I'm pretty sure he covered a game that sounds pretty similar.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You mean you don't like playing against the same 5 no lives that populate the last server? Unfortunately the most recent game I've seen that's like Nosgoth is Evolve, which is a bit dead too.

Well that's just it... there IS NO last server. lol

The game is completely dead and gone. Though I can't say I'm surprised. The game had some issues and I think that's one of the things that drove people away. It was fun, but matchmaking had trouble, there were a few balance issues, and there was little motivation for players to actually spend money considering the only things you really needed to buy were cosmetic. Not to mention, Legacy of Kain had a cult following that wasn't huge, AND Square Enix did a pretty crappy job of marketing the game. It was sort of a perfect storm for low player counts. 

3 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

Look through warowls uploads to youtube I'm pretty sure he covered a game that sounds pretty similar.

I mean, you're going to have to give me a little more to go on... the dude has like 900 videos. lol

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

1 minute ago, Kevin_Walter said:

Well that's just it... there IS NO last server. lol

The game is completely dead and gone. Though I can't say I'm surprised. The game had some issues and I think that's one of the things that drove people away. It was fun, but matchmaking had trouble, there were a few balance issues, and there was little motivation for players to actually spend money considering the only things you really needed to buy were cosmetic. Not to mention, Legacy of Kain had a cult following that wasn't huge, AND Square Enix did a pretty crappy job of marketing the game. It was sort of a perfect storm for low player counts. 

Really? I played less than two months ago and there were still a handful of people.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Really? I played less than two months ago and there were still a handful of people.

I don't think you're talking about Nosgoth, or maybe you're a little confused on the time. The servers were taken offline entirely back in May. You can't even download it anywhere... except maybe a torrent or something... but who would seed a game that can't be played?

12 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

I don't think you're talking about Nosgoth, or maybe you're a little confused on the time. The servers were taken offline entirely back in May. You can't even download it anywhere... except maybe a torrent or something... but who would seed a game that can't be played?

Pretty sure I would remember playing Nosgoth.

4 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

This one:

Funny... it was already in my Steam wishlist. I probably saw it at one point and added it because it looked kinda neat. Same reason I played Nosgoth, actually. 

Unfortunately, it sounds like the game has been abandoned and is left a mess, from what I'm reading. :/