msi RX 470 not recognized

danavinette

Hi guys. so i just bought my first graphics card some days ago and it arrived today. it's an msi RX470 4g. the issue is that when i plug in the card and turn on the computer the computer does not recognize the card at all. the card does not show up on the bios, the computer keeps sending video through the motherboard HDMI and when i tried installing the drivers, the installation program tells me there is no AMD hardware on the computer, the graphics card lights up though, i tried switching up beetween the 8 pin cables to see if it was the issue but nothing happened, i tried updating the BIOS of the motherboard but no luck either. the card was bought from another person, i didn't buy it new so i dont know if there is anything else to be done as this is my first graphics card. 

ps. i also tried using a gt 610 and a gt 405 on my pc and both of them work just fine.

15502775_1373543042655978_1443098550_o.jpg

Just now, LabRat said:

what operating system

what power supply?

windows 10.

be quiet! pure power l8 600w

The reason that person sold it to you is because he knew there was a flaw with it.

Either that or there's a different issue.

6 minutes ago, lilbman said:

The reason that person sold it to you is because he knew there was a flaw with it.

Either that or there's a different issue.

this. Contact MSI support, they may be able to help you. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

this. Contact MSI support, they may be able to help you. 

i am out of the united states, will they help me? i am from venezuela. returning the card would be a pain in the ***

4 minutes ago, danavinette said:

i am out of the united states, will they help me? i am from venezuela. returning the card would be a pain in the ***

erm, that could be an issue - just try and see. 

idk

Is CSM enabled on your motherboard bios? New graphics cards require csm be disabled which is a part of secure boot. If the mobo has this enabled then when you put in your card then the card will basically not be there. 

Though if your motherboard doesnt have csm support at all then this is not an issue.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

Is CSM enabled on your motherboard bios? New graphics cards require csm which is a part of secure boot. If the mobo is not enabling the feature when you put in your card then the card will basically not be there. 

Though if your motherboard doesnt have csm support at all then this is not an issue.

my motherboard is an asrock z170. i will try enabling it, can you tell me in which part of the bios should i look up this feature?

4 minutes ago, danavinette said:

my motherboard is an asrock z170. i will try enabling it, can you tell me in which part of the bios should i look up this feature?

ylT6oes.jpg

See csm at the bottom. If you dont see it try disabling fastboot and see if it comes up.

8 minutes ago, danavinette said:

Also i meant to say that if csm is enabled then the card may not work.

From here it looks like your 470 is sagging like crazy. It looks like it's not inserted firmly in the slot. Try reseating it.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Also i meant to say that if csm is enabled then the card may not work.

CSM was enabled, i just checked. 

Just now, ivan134 said:

From here it looks like your 470 is sagging like crazy. It looks like it's not inserted firmly in the slot. Try reseating it.

i inserted it fully in the slot. as much as it can be inserted and i put the two screws, but it still hags up a little by it's own weigh no matter how i secure it with the screws. do you think this can be the problem? should i try with the pc layed down to see if it works that way?

1 minute ago, danavinette said:

CSM was enabled, i just checked. 

How well versed are you at messing with bios settings?

Is this a custom built pc? 

How well versed are you at messing with bios settings?

Is this a custom built pc? 

i don't know a lot about it, but i can try if i need to. my motherboard has dual bios so if screw up i can just switch to the another one. yes i build this computer by myself

It is possible also that your power supply is faulty and couldn't supply the advertised 600w, which may be the problem. Here is an article for troubleshooting if that is the case.

If you can (without violating any warranties) you could take the cooler off the PCB to check for short circuits or damage around the power connector. If there is any, RMA if you can or get a refund from whomever you bought it from.

7 minutes ago, danavinette said:

i don't know a lot about it, but i can try if i need to. my motherboard has dual bios so if screw up i can just switch to the another one. yes i build this computer by myself

Okay. Disconnect your hard drive and disable CSM and turn on secure boot and any uefi settings. 

Save those settings and reboot and try the graphics card. 

If csm is enabled it means you installed windows without using a uefi partition which may be an issue.  But let's see if the card works. 

Also make sure you try a other pcie slot as well

Okay. Disconnect your hard drive and disable CSM and turn on secure boot and any uefi settings. 

Save those settings and reboot and try the graphics card. 

If csm is enabled it means you installed windows without using a uefi partition which may be an issue.  But let's see if the card works. 

Also make sure you try a other pcie slot as well

i have tried different pci slots.

i did what you said except for the "uefi settings" part. i did not understand that, could you be more specific? the card didn't work disabling csm, disconnecting the hard drives and turning on secure boot. i also tried both slots again.

the CSM also enables itself back after some boots. i noticed that when i disable csm the computer goes straight to the BIOS and the bios looks zoomed in 

Just now, Cheesecake__ said:

It is possible also that your power supply is faulty and couldn't supply the advertised 600w, which may be the problem. Here is an article for troubleshooting if that is the case.

If you can (without violating any warranties) you could take the cooler off the PCB to check for short circuits or damage around the power connector. If there is any, RMA if you can or get a refund from whomever you bought it from.

the card looks like new. the power supply was new when i bought it. i have thought too that the psu was the issue because the card does the same thing wether the 8 pin connector is plugged in or not; ligths up.

But i have also thought that the PSU is not the issue because i am running skylake, my cpu is only 65w tdp, 2 ram sticks and 2 hard drives, that's it, so there should be plenty of watts left. 

9 hours ago, danavinette said:

But i have also thought that the PSU is not the issue because i am running skylake, my cpu is only 65w tdp, 2 ram sticks and 2 hard drives, that's it, so there should be plenty of watts left. 

Yes, but it is possible that the PSU is not supplying 600w, but more like 350-200 or so which is enough for CPU etc. but not with the GPU.

Also, make sure to check the cable you are using as it may be damaged or not plugged in all the way on the PSU end. Most likely the lights on the card are using power from the PCI port which would explain them being on without the card plugged in.

Before of all with ati winflash programm select save current bios for backup

I think you haved buyed a card with a modified bios on it so you should try to install a genuine bios for it here are the link to bios https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=MSI&model=&interface=&memType=&memSize=4096&did=1002-67df--04aa%2C1002-67df--04b0%2C1002-67df--22d7%2C1002-67df--2373%2C1002-67df--3411%2C1002-67df--9470%2C1002-67df--a470%2C1002-67df--e347%2C1002-67df--e349&since=

select one of them download it and install it with the ATIWinflash programm just select load and fiind the image bios downloaded and select programm https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2728/atiflash-2-74

Dont thank me if it works :)

FROM WHERE I NOW THIS - I HAVE MODIFIED MY BIOS RAISED THE TIMINGS FOR GPU VRAM AND AFTER I INSTALL IT ON MY GPU MSI Gaming x RX 470 8gb and my monitor was working FINE but everywere else was wrote that the videocard is not installed in msi afterburner just 2 sliders were enabled all others were disabled so i installed my genuine backup bios and vouala all apeared again everywere like magic

Your post states "plugging into motherboard hdmi"

Monitor cables should go to your graphics card hdmi, instead of the onboard hdmi from the board.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

7 hours ago, leonea1985 said:

Before of all with ati winflash programm select save current bios for backup

I think you haved buyed a card with a modified bios on it so you should try to install a genuine bios for it here are the link to bios https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=MSI&model=&interface=&memType=&memSize=4096&did=1002-67df--04aa%2C1002-67df--04b0%2C1002-67df--22d7%2C1002-67df--2373%2C1002-67df--3411%2C1002-67df--9470%2C1002-67df--a470%2C1002-67df--e347%2C1002-67df--e349&since=

select one of them download it and install it with the ATIWinflash programm just select load and fiind the image bios downloaded and select programm https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2728/atiflash-2-74

Dont thank me if it works :)

FROM WHERE I NOW THIS - I HAVE MODIFIED MY BIOS RAISED THE TIMINGS FOR GPU VRAM AND AFTER I INSTALL IT ON MY GPU MSI Gaming x RX 470 8gb and my monitor was working FINE but everywere else was wrote that the videocard is not installed in msi afterburner just 2 sliders were enabled all others were disabled so i installed my genuine backup bios and vouala all apeared again everywere like magic

thanks for the hope, i just tried it but the program (atiwinflash) does not even recognized the card, just like the bios/pc/drivers install program/etc don't.

when i try to open ATIwinflash it says something like this this: Unable to find the ATI discrete card. (in spanish, as that's my language) 

Screenshot_5.png

7 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Your post states "plugging into motherboard hdmi"

Monitor cables should go to your graphics card hdmi, instead of the onboard hdmi from the board.

i wish it was that simple. The pc does not recognize the card to the point that it does not even send video through the card! if i'd plug my hdmi cable on the card nothing comes up on the screen, just like if the monitor were plugged into nothing. 

I'm wondering if there is any sort of configuration on a motherboard's bios in order to get a video card to be recognized. i bought my first Video card, an rx 470 (used) from ebay and i could not get my pc to recognize it in any way,  i mean i thought it was just plugging the card into the pci slot, plugging in the power cables to the card and then plugging the hdmi cable to the card and the monitor and boom, ready to go, am i right? i'm just trying to diagnose the problem though i really believe the card is faulty, installing a graphics card is not rocket science. it can't be that hard.

more information on the issues here