General Purpose Build

Stonep11

BLUF: Good amount of storage/backup (probably 4TB) and a responsive setup.

I am looking at building a new PC for my dad as the 8 year old setup he has. despite some upgrades I have made is starting to act up.

Budget: $2,000 uness I get good reason to go over

Monitors/extras: He currently runo one screen and I don't see him adding more, there is no need for mouse or keyboardsomething or anything else

Use case: My dad loves to take photos and videos, but he doesn't do much more than light video and photo editing, he may want to do more in the future, but the main concern is he likes to store every photo and video. I need a good storage solution and a responsive setup that won't require a lot of messing around once it is up and going. I'm in the military so I can't help him with tech support all the time so convince me not to go with a company who can provide that service.

Edit: I also plan on adding a 1060 in case I ever want to use the computer for a game and since he does sometimes play.

This would be a good all around build with a 1060 6GB. I threw in a CD/BluRay Read/write drive in case your dad likes to make CDs and a wireless NIC in case you want to be over wireless. Power supply is a bit on the low side, but I figured that this would not be used as an overclocking machine. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kbg3NN

For $1438.43

This is a build I though of:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7shjRG

overclock build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4YX26X

*This is just the pc itself, nothing else was added, such as operating software, wifi cards, software in general, etc.

CPU: Well, I'm not sure how much you would benefit from overclocking a CPU, but I picked this since your dad edits photos and videos, an i7 will do that job easily. I've guessed that your dad isn't a big tech guy? so not sure how he would be with overclocks and all that. 

CPU Cooler: Just a cheap alternative to the stock cooler. It's just quieter, that's the main reason I added it. cools better too.
NOTE: If you do overclock, then I would change the 6700 to a 6700k, and the cooler to a cryorig r1 ultimate/ universal or a Noctua d14/15. Do note that these coolers need lower profile ram, so, anything under about 33-35mm in height. 

MoBo: Don't need to overclock, so an h170 is good enough. However, if you do change to 6700k, then maybe the z170 version of this board will be a good option. Or some other board of your choice

Ram: Ram is ram right?

Storage: Added an SSD, of course, with your budget, you can either upgrade the size or get a faster SSD, like m.2. Of course, I think 6tb of storage should be good enough!

GPU: The r9 fury is at a really good price. Gaming wise, at this price point, that's pretty good compared to the 1060 6gb or the 480 8gb. However, I'm not sure how the r9 compares to these newer cards in terms of rendering power.

Case: I like this case. It comes with 2 amazing fans, and it's considered as a quiet case. The side panel, however, fails the nail test. just an fyi.

PSU: This is an amazing psu with good reliability. and it's fully modular. I would have gone with a seasonic 520 sII but the pricing for it as of right now has gone up. The g2 is a better psu eitherway. 

8 hours ago, Stonep11 said:

BLUF: Good amount of storage/backup (probably 4TB) and a responsive setup.

I am looking at building a new PC for my dad as the 8 year old setup he has. despite some upgrades I have made is starting to act up.

Budget: $2,000 uness I get good reason to go over

Monitors/extras: He currently runo one screen and I don't see him adding more, there is no need for mouse or keyboardsomething or anything else

Use case: My dad loves to take photos and videos, but he doesn't do much more than light video and photo editing, he may want to do more in the future, but the main concern is he likes to store every photo and video. I need a good storage solution and a responsive setup that won't require a lot of messing around once it is up and going. I'm in the military so I can't help him with tech support all the time so convince me not to go with a company who can provide that service.

Edit: I also plan on adding a 1060 in case I ever want to use the computer for a game and since he does sometimes play.

You don't really need overclocking capabilities. i would get this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gXKhvV . you can upgrade or downgrade RAM / storage if you want. 2 grand is kind of excessive for light video editing. Huge respect for you for being in the military. I'm going to join the air force out of high school hopefully :) You have a good day!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($191.91 @ Jet) 
Motherboard: Asus H170I-PRO/CSM Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($88.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($240.00 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini ITX OC Video Card  ($249.99 @ Jet) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  ($68.94 @ Jet) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($359.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1787.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-13 23:27 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Is the 1060 6gb better than a r9 fury? Cause everyone seems to be choosing it. Not my thread but just for future reference.