dualboot

MorganO

how would one dualboot, ubuntu or a variation of that with windows 10?

how can i control what boots into what and when?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

And just install linux on another partition and you'll be god to go basicly

Install Windows first wherever you want it. Then use the install media for whatever Linux Distribution you want. Most of them will automagically recognize Windows and set up GRUB or some other bootloader to give you a menu that lets you pick either them or Windows.

Note with Windows 8/10, depending on your UEFI on your motherboard, it may set its own bootloader to launch every time you load Windows, making it so next time you have to go into the UEFI and reset the boot order to favor GRUB again to get into Linux.

1 minute ago, Teknis said:

And just install linux on another partition and you'll be god to go basicly

ok, cool, i have installed ubuntu onto my laptop, and i want to do the same on my main pc, maybe i can get a cheap HDD or use my 500gb when i get a new HDD

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Install Windows first wherever you want it. Then use the install media for whatever Linux Distribution you want. Most of them will automagically recognize Windows and set up GRUB or some other bootloader to give you a menu that lets you pick either them or Windows.

Note with Windows 8/10, depending on your UEFI on your motherboard, it may set its own bootloader to launch every time you load Windows, making it so next time you have to go into the UEFI and reset the boot order to favor GRUB again to get into Linux.

ok

10 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

Depends, are you doing it on the same drive or do you have separate drives for each OS? If you have separate drives the process is a lot easier, otherwise follow the guides others have posted.

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Depends, are you doing it on the same drive or do you have separate drives for each OS? If you have separate drives the process is a lot easier, otherwise follow the guides others have posted.

currently i have 

250gb 850evo-windows and some programs and games

1tb 2.5" SSHD for my mass storage and stuff(came out of my laptop)

500gb 3.5 seagate barracuda for my junk files,non critical files

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

currently i have 

250gb 850evo-windows and some programs and games

1tb 2.5" SSHD for my mass storage and stuff(came out of my laptop)

500gb 3.5 seagate barracuda for my junk files,non critical files

In that case, I would say to put what ever OS you don't want to use on the 500GB drive if you have the space, although secondary OS's rarely need that much room, but be warned that partitioning a drive can, if done wrong, render the OS installed unusable and or not recoverable, and ditto with data. Maybe partition it for 300 GB for junk and 200GB for the other OS

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

In that case, I would say to put what ever OS you don't want to use on the 500GB drive if you have the space, although secondary OS's rarely need that much room, but be warned that partitioning a drive can, if done wrong, render the OS installed unusable and or not recoverable, and ditto with data. Maybe partition it for 300 GB for junk and 200GB for the other OS

i plan on getting a 2tb drive which would replace the 1tb, the 1tb drive being the 'junk' drive and the 500GB would become free for other uses

10 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i plan on getting a 2tb drive which would replace the 1tb, the 1tb drive being the 'junk' drive and the 500GB would become free for other uses

That would be a good choice, 

Yours faithfully

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:26 PM, KOMTechAndGaming said:

What are you planning to use Linux for? If it just programs and don't require bear bones performance then a virtual machine might be a better option.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

21 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

What are you planning to use Linux for? If it just programs and don't require bear bones performance then a virtual machine might be a better option.

do i need a use for linux?