PHP: My object isn't being treated as an array when is_array says it is one.

Go to solution Solved by Cruorzy,

If it gives an array you should give the values of the array to the csv with a foreach statement.

I never worked with the fputcsv function but according to w3schools it should be something like this.

$file = fopen("contacts.csv","w");

foreach ($data_array as $line)
{
	fputcsv($file, $line);
}

So, I have an array being given to me by a MySQL query. Here is the array, as it is printed by print_r function:

Array ( [policydatakey] => 1 [policydatapolicykey] => 1 [policydatastatus] => Active [policydatapolicyname] => Policy 1111 [policydataprocessorname] => My Processor [policydatabranchcode] => Branch1 [policydatafiletaxid] => Taxid1 [policydatafilestate] => XX [policydatafilelicense] => Lic111 [policydatainsuredname] => Trim [policydatarisklocation] => 4 [policydataunderwritingcompany] => Stuff n Thangs [policydatapolicystate] => XX [policydatapolicynumber] => 1111 [policydatapolicytype] => 8 [policydatamultistate] => 9 [policydatalineofbusiness] => 0 [policydataeffectivedate] => 1 [policydataendorsementeffectivedate] => 2 [policydataenddate] => 3 [policydatapremium] => 4 [policydatainsuredamount] => 5 [policydatapolicyfee] => 6 [policydatainspectionfee] => 7 [policydatacatfee] => 8 [policydatasltaxes] => 9 [policydatafiremarshaltax] => 0 [policydatasurcharge] => 5-surcharge [policydataadditionalassessment] => 2 [policydatastampingfee] => 3 [policydatainvoicenumber] => XXXX [policydatainvoicedate] => 2016-02-02 [policydataac1] => 6 [policydataac1date] => 2016-01-01 [policydataac1comments] => 8 [policydataac2] => 9 [policydataac2date] => 0 [policydataac2comments] => 1 [policydataac3] => yes (ac3) [policydataac3date] => 3 [policydataac3comments] => Ac3 Comments go here [policydatacomments] => My Comments )

When I run is_array on the variable that holds that array, it returns boolean TRUE. i.e.

if (is_array($data)==TRUE){
	printf("It is an array.");
}else{
	printf("It is not an array.");
}

Comes back as "It is an array."

When I try to have that array printed to a .CSV using fputcsv(), I get the following:

Catchable fatal error: Argument 2 passed to fputcsv() must be an array, null given...

When I try to have that array printed to a spreadsheet XLSX file, using xlsxwriter.class.php (see here), it complains of the same thing.

Neither have a problem using a simple test array, as follows:

$array = array(
	array('year','month','day'),
	array('2004','8','20'),
	array('2008','12','13'),
	);

The way I'm getting the array I'm trying to use is with the following:

$data = $conn->query($sql); // $conn is the connection credentials to the MySQL Database, and $sql is the sql query.
$data_array = array();
$data_array = $data->fetch_assoc();

fetch_assoc() is supposed to return an associative array, which it seems to, rather than an object.

I have no idea what the issue is.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If it gives an array you should give the values of the array to the csv with a foreach statement.

I never worked with the fputcsv function but according to w3schools it should be something like this.

{
	fputcsv($file, $line);
}

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

22 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

{
	fputcsv($file, $line);
}

So, this is what it returns when I try that:

Warning: fputcsv() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home/comp/public_html/db/db_PullData_ExportToXLS.php on line 80

And it repeats that for every line of the Array, saying it's a string.

If I try just doing:

fputcsv($file,$data_array);

That actually works.... welp, IDK why it didn't the first time.

However, XLSX isn't treating it as an array still. Unfortunate, but I can make a CSV work. Thanks :D.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.