Need help for a final build decision! 6850k X99

Hi everyone, 

I need some help at making a final choice in a PC build. I'm a Best Buy Canada employee so, I have access to intel retail edge program. And at the moment i can get a 6850k for 199$USD. I don't see a reason not to take this deal but i want to know if it's really worth it. And if it is what board i should get for it? (I hesitate between the Strix X99 from Asus or the X99A from Asus ) Do you have any other ideas for a motherboard? 

The thing that makes me hesitate is that i already have a 4790k with 24gb of ram. and a 4770k with 8gb of ram. (So, I would take 32gb with the 6850k) I plan on selling the 4770k build to cover the costs. But my final question is. Do you guys think it is worth all the trouble? Or should i just get myself a 1080/*1080ti*

To make it simple the promo i have right now makes it that i have a CPU/MOBO/RAM for a bit more than the price of just the CPU.

I can answer more questions about my "problem" if needed but i'm mainly looking for some general ideas and opinions :)

Thank you all for your time!

I mean, you could snatch that 6850K for $200 and sell it for $400 and turn a profit :P

I'd get an MSI X99 SLI Krait, not expensive and has the features you want.

For a computer upgrade, if you just game, it's not worth the trouble I don't think.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I mean, you could snatch that 6850K for $200 and sell it for $400 and turn a profit :P

For a computer upgrade, if you just game, it's not worth the trouble I don't think.

it's mainly for gaming but i do a whole lot of stuff on my pc. (And i do want to restart video editing/photoshop soon, i just can't get myself to restart x) )  6850k is overkill AF and i know that. But the price for me in canada it's almost a dream :P 

But with the 4.0ghz max (6850k) compared to the 4790k 4.4 max (no oc on both) should I expect a possible drop in performance with time in single threaded workloads or not?(not a really small difference but a somewhat big one)

And for me the krait is more expensive than the X99/A :S (Canadian pricings) Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you really need a 6850k? Are you going to be running more than two cards in SLI or two cards in SLI with other expansion cards? A 6800k is cheaper, and has no tangible advantages besides more cache and more PCI lanes. Furthermore, a 5820k is cheaper still and performs almost on par with a 6800k. You could save up to $220.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Do you really need a 6850k? Are you going to be running more than two cards in SLI or two cards in SLI with other expansion cards? A 6800k is cheaper, and has no tangible advantages besides more cache and more PCI lanes. Furthermore, a 5820k is cheaper still and performs almost on par with a 6800k. You could save up to $220.

Aereldor as I said I'm only thinking about it because of the Intel Retail edge promo. (the 6850k is 199USD for me. So 261$CAD) it's dirt cheap :')

Just now, Halo Spartan128 said:

Aereldor as I said I'm only thinking about it because of the Intel Retail edge promo. (the 6850k is 199USD for me. So 261$CAD) it's dirt cheap :')

Indeed, but consider how that translates to Retail Edge pricing. A 6850k offers no advantages over a 6800k unless you want to have 3 or more cards in SLI, and a 6800k isn't that much better than a 5820k. How much do a 6800k and 5820k cost with Retail Edge? Proportionately, they should be $120 and $150 respectively.

Just now, Aereldor said:

Indeed, but consider how that translates to Retail Edge pricing. A 6850k offers no advantages over a 6800k unless you want to have 3 or more cards in SLI, and a 6800k isn't that much better than a 5820k. How much do a 6800k and 5820k cost with Retail Edge? Proportionately, they should be $120 and $150 respectively.

it's a special promo. I have the choice of having a 6850k at 199USD or a 6700k at 134$USD not other choices :)

7 minutes ago, Halo Spartan128 said:

get the cpu its worth it x99 is beast platform. get the asus ASUS ROG STRIX X99  is higher quality but ASUS X99-A II LGA 2011-v3 I can save you bit of money it up to you both is fine.  for a x99 build 16 gb is minimum for a high-end build. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

get the cpu its worth it x99 is beast platform. get the asus ASUS ROG STRIX X99  is higher quality but ASUS X99-A II LGA 2011-v3 I can save you bit of money it up to you both is fine.  for a x99 build 16 gb is minimum for a high-end build. 

i do feel the same about that. I really fell like i should get it even if i don't need it right now :') i know i will regret it later on. And i feel like if i have 24gb in my PC right now I should maybe get 32gb? and also for me, the strix is 130$CAD more than an X99A. 

i do feel the same about that. I really fell like i should get it even if i don't need it right now :') i know i will regret it later on. And i feel like if i have 24gb in my PC right now I should maybe get 32gb? and also for me, the strix is 130$CAD more than an X99A. 

yup when i was at a micro center buying my 5820k for 300 USD i felt the same thing. in the long run its worth getting also lucky American.   

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

yup when i was at a micro center buying my 5820k for 300 USD i felt the same thing. in the long run its worth getting also lucky American.   

X99 based systems also tend to keep their value for a long time if I'm not mistaking?

X99 based systems also tend to keep their value for a long time if I'm not mistaking?

yup for quite a while because of the monstrous performance compared to normal i5 and i7. 

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yup for quite a while because of the monstrous performance compared to normal i5 and i7. 

So the final question :) Should i take the strix or the X99A? Wifi and Bluetooth could come in handy. Except that i don't know what else except the ROG brand i would really get more with the the Strix. I know theres mores stuff into this board but for a 130$CAD should i really buy the Strix compared to the X99A. What does the strix brings to the table? 

edit: also the accessories coming with the strix.

1 hour ago, Halo Spartan128 said:

So the final question :) Should i take the strix or the X99A? Wifi and Bluetooth could come in handy. Except that i don't know what else except the ROG brand i would really get more with the the Strix. I know theres mores stuff into this board but for a 130$CAD should i really buy the Strix compared to the X99A. What does the strix brings to the table? 

edit: also the accessories coming with the strix.

Bluetooth and wifi are quite handy i personally use ethernet for desktop just cause of the uninterrupted speed . the strix is really good for what its worth plus 130 cad is a steal. hope you enjoy your new cpu and welcome to the x99 dark side once you enter you won't want to leave. bragging rights to not having cpu bottleneck for quite a while. 

Still more expensive than zen :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

8 hours ago, Energycore said:

Agreed. Unless you need it for something crazy like an editing rig or a test bench it's really not necessary. 4790k system is plenty good for most people. It really boils down to whether or not you want to upgrade and spend the money. :)  

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

7 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Bluetooth and wifi are quite handy i personally use ethernet for desktop just cause of the uninterrupted speed . the strix is really good for what its worth plus 130 cad is a steal. hope you enjoy your new cpu and welcome to the x99 dark side once you enter you won't want to leave. bragging rights to not having cpu bottleneck for quite a while. 

Just sad that it seems like intel will announce a new X99 chipset and a new socket soon :') In any case i would never pay the full price for a CPU like this :P 

and I do use ethernet all the time but it's handy to have bluetooth and wifi :)

2 hours ago, JR8 said:

Agreed. Unless you need it for something crazy like an editing rig or a test bench it's really not necessary. 4790k system is plenty good for most people. It really boils down to whether or not you want to upgrade and spend the money. :)  

This is the rational part of me :P I do want to start editing more and benchmarking stuff. But as i said before if it was at the regular price i would not even think about it. 199$USD. That's lower than the MSRP of a  Intel® Core™ i5-6600K. 

10 hours ago, Halo Spartan128 said:

it's mainly for gaming but i do a whole lot of stuff on my pc. (And i do want to restart video editing/photoshop soon, i just can't get myself to restart x) )  6850k is overkill AF and i know that. But the price for me in canada it's almost a dream :P 

But with the 4.0ghz max (6850k) compared to the 4790k 4.4 max (no oc on both) should I expect a possible drop in performance with time in single threaded workloads or not?(not a really small difference but a somewhat big one)

And for me the krait is more expensive than the X99/A :S (Canadian pricings) Thanks for the suggestion!

its worth it since its in canada.

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

its worth it since its in canada.

Another part of me wants to fall for it because of that :') the CPU shipping is 38$USD wich is insanely expensive but o well x) 

Another part of me wants to fall for it because of that :') the CPU shipping is 38$USD wich is insanely expensive but o well x) 

well its regular $830 so go for it chap.

The geek himself.

10 hours ago, Halo Spartan128 said:

I don't think there is a doubt about this: you should buy that CPU. But you could sell it or you could use it for your computer.

The difference between 6850K and 4790K in single-threaded workloads will be very small.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 minutes ago, Halo Spartan128 said:

This is the rational part of me :P I do want to start editing more and benchmarking stuff. But as i said before if it was at the regular price i would not even think about it. 199$USD. That's lower than the MSRP of a  Intel® Core™ i5-6600K. 

Maybe you should buy 2 and resale one just to make money? Whatever you do, it's a great deal. Does best buy give the same deal to there employees in the states? I might need to give them a call....

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

2 minutes ago, JR8 said:

Maybe you should buy 2 and resale one just to make money? Whatever you do, it's a great deal. Does best buy give the same deal to there employees in the states? I might need to give them a call....

it's intel retail edge so Walmart,Costco,staples,best buy or any other computer stores you guys have in the states (need to have more than 3 stores if I remember well) are eligible. You then need to follow really easy classes. Answer 3 mystery quiz in 3 days (One chance per day only) and after you can buy only one CPU. Reselling the product can result in being banned from the program x)