Building on carpet

Kazy

I am building my new pc and I was wondering that if I wear a static band will I be okay to build on carpet?

2 minutes ago, Kazy said:

I am building my new pc and I was wondering that if I wear a static band will I be okay to build on carpet?

Just ground yourself regularly and you'll be fine.

11 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Just ground yourself regularly and you'll be fine.

How?

Just now, Kazy said:

How?

Touch the side of your assumed metal case or just tap your wrist band every once awhile. Or your PSU turned off and unplugged.

11 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Touch the side of your assumed metal case or just tap your wrist band every once awhile. Or your PSU turned off and unplugged.

Okay thanks.. Do I need to put down anything to stand on?

1 minute ago, Kazy said:

Okay thanks.. Do I need to put down anything to stand on?

Shouldn't. Maybe no socks just to avoid a bit of static, but other than that, you should be good.

It would be better if you didn't, but if you have to just ground yourself by touching your metal case our your PSU turned off and unplugged. 

As others have said, simply touch the case every once in awhile, handle components at their edges, away from connectors and such.

Frying your equipment has come to be more of a myth than anything. Unless you're wearing wool and walking on the carpet shuffling your feet, and then actually touching non-PCB areas of the components, you're not going to fry anything.

You cant find wood flooring or tile or something. Who the heck has carpet 100% throughout the house, exception bathroom. Put your computer on a table.

i build my pc's on a bed. far as i know nothing broke. if your that worry about building on a carpet you can build it outside on the sidewalk.

8 hours ago, mad dudy said:

i build my pc's on a bed. far as i know nothing broke. if your that worry about building on a carpet you can build it outside on the sidewalk.

That's what I do

I built my first custom rig while on sitting on a carpet floor. Nothing has gone wrong with that  system, despite me accidentally bending the motherboard (but it still works).

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I used to think all of the static talk was just to scare people, because I built several PCs before I knew you could kill electronics with static electricity.  Or that carpet can build up a massive static charge.

From what I have learned since then, it is the case that originally, at some not so distant point in our past, motherboards were not as robust as they are today.  Those motherboards could easily be damaged by static discharge.  The modern motherboards are built intentionally so that static is not nearly as dangerous to them, and so it's more of a myth to hear about static discharge actually damaging a component than it is a real danger.

That being said, there's no reason not to err on the side of caution (myth perpetuated :) )

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You can afford to get custom PC but not table? What a poor soul :(

Oh look, it can make a joke. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just build on a hard non carpety surface due, just to be sure but still ground yourself.

I have touched components on carpet etc and had no issues but I'd rather be safe than sorry tbf

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]