Cheapest possible conventional tower build?

Protex

Hey all,

I am someone who is more of a new comer to the PC building scene, I have never built a PC but believe I have what I need to do so. The only problem; I'm broke. So, I was wondering, what is the cheapest possible conventional tower build I could build for fun,without delving into obscurities? I am excluding Pis and Pi Zeros, as you build them, and I shall be fascinated by what you can think up.

Protex

PC Specs

i7 6700

Asus H110-PLUS

ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC

EVGA G2 550W PSU

3TB HD & 255GB SSD

CiT Galaxy Evolution

Upgrades

EVGA G2 550W PSU

Asus Strix GTX 1070

NZXT S340 ELITE BLACK

2 minutes ago, Protex said:

Hey all,

I am someone who is more of a new comer to the PC building scene, I have never built a PC but believe I have what I need to do so. The only problem; I'm broke. So, I was wondering, what is the cheapest possible conventional tower build I could build for fun,without delving into obscurities? I am excluding Pis and Pi Zeros, as you build them, and I shall be fascinated by what you can think up.

Protex

like the cheapest pc possible? Without a graphics card? With no regard for aesthetics or performance?

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

like the cheapest pc possible? Without a graphics card? With no regard for aesthetics or performance?

Yup. Just to practice fitting a PSU, CPU, MoBo and get familiar with something.

PC Specs

i7 6700

Asus H110-PLUS

ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC

EVGA G2 550W PSU

3TB HD & 255GB SSD

CiT Galaxy Evolution

Upgrades

EVGA G2 550W PSU

Asus Strix GTX 1070

NZXT S340 ELITE BLACK

You want to build a $500 computer for fun with money you don't have?

I'm broke.

build for fun

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

I want to build a computer. Not $500. Literally as barebones as possible.

PC Specs

i7 6700

Asus H110-PLUS

ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC

EVGA G2 550W PSU

3TB HD & 255GB SSD

CiT Galaxy Evolution

Upgrades

EVGA G2 550W PSU

Asus Strix GTX 1070

NZXT S340 ELITE BLACK

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

Where the hell did he say "$500"? Like seriously that number was nowhere in this post until you brought it up.

1 minute ago, Enovi said:

Where the hell did he say "$500"? Like seriously that number was nowhere in this post until you brought it up.

build one worth learning on for $400 then.

the ins and outs and intricacies of an ATX build, routing cables and mounting drives... fan balance cooling tower spacing...

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, Protex said:

I want to build a computer. Not $500. Literally as barebones as possible.

What is your budget? There are some old dell prebuilt computers, like this one for £75, which is imo not bad http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-DELL-DUAL-CORE-DESKTOP-TOWER-PC-TFT-COMPUTER-WITH-WINDOWS-10-WIFI-4GB-/252489175815?hash=item3ac9871307:g:J7AAAOSwARZXpHJo

1 minute ago, Enovi said:

What is your budget? There are some old dell prebuilt computers, like this one for £75, which is imo not bad http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-DELL-DUAL-CORE-DESKTOP-TOWER-PC-TFT-COMPUTER-WITH-WINDOWS-10-WIFI-4GB-/252489175815?hash=item3ac9871307:g:J7AAAOSwARZXpHJo

Best to buy an eBay prebuilt and rip it apart?

PC Specs

i7 6700

Asus H110-PLUS

ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC

EVGA G2 550W PSU

3TB HD & 255GB SSD

CiT Galaxy Evolution

Upgrades

EVGA G2 550W PSU

Asus Strix GTX 1070

NZXT S340 ELITE BLACK

Just now, Protex said:

Best to buy an eBay prebuilt and rip it apart?

I don't do much building but what I would do is buy a very cheap, prebuilt computer (which a lot of them are on for eBay, try searching for "dell computer" on eBay and many should show up at a good budget) and yes: rip it apart (not legitimately) but when you're uninstalling everything you can take the time to see what goes where, which wires does what and etc

2 minutes ago, Enovi said:

what does he learn about building standard equipment by buying a prebuilt custom?

System specs:

Just now, knightslugger said:

what does he learn about building standard equipment by buying a prebuilt custom?

I can pull it apart and rebuild it. It's a more viable solution than building a friends expensive rig, I can do all the research I want but I've never even fitted RAM.

PC Specs

i7 6700

Asus H110-PLUS

ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC

EVGA G2 550W PSU

3TB HD & 255GB SSD

CiT Galaxy Evolution

Upgrades

EVGA G2 550W PSU

Asus Strix GTX 1070

NZXT S340 ELITE BLACK

can you not read?

Like seriously, can you not?

You can easily see where everything is placed from a prebuilt system especially at that price and he can learn within a couple of hours fully where everything goes. Especially as it's proved to work, it's a reliable plan and system to learn how to build qualities.

I can pull it apart and rebuild it. It's a more viable solution than building a friends expensive rig, I can do all the research I want but I've never even fitted RAM.

Word of advice when starting - Do not touch the edges (corners) of the sticks of ram and try to place them carefully as you can. Do not force it in the slots but push them (gently) until you hear a slight click sound, then push the ends up.

15 minutes ago, Enovi said:

can you not read?

Like seriously, can you not?

You can easily see where everything is placed from a prebuilt system especially at that price and he can learn within a couple of hours fully where everything goes. Especially as it's proved to work, it's a reliable plan and system to learn how to build qualities.

I can read just fine. If you bother to disassemble a Dell, you'd realize that everything basically clips into place, which is completely unlike any DIY build chassis i've ever come across. I've got a 760 sitting at home that has a break it off type CPU fan with ducting (no idea how it comes apart), a hinged Cooling tower configuration that is OH BY THE WAY mounted at 45* to the MB because that sort of makes sense, the MB is also inverted where the PCI bus is bottom right instead of bottom left, the PSU is not modular (defeating the education of cable management) and the beauty of it all: ALMOST NONE OF THEM ARE ALIKE!!!

It might be cheaper to buy a prebuilt if the end goal is to get a computer that works, but that's not his stated goal. you will in fact only learn one thing: How not to build a computer.

System specs:

I can read just fine. If you bother to disassemble a Dell, you'd realize that everything basically clips into place, which is completely unlike any DIY build chassis i've ever come across. I've got a 760 sitting at home that has a break it off type CPU fan with ducting, a hinged Cooling tower configuration that is OH BY THE WAY mounted at 45* to the MB because that sort of makes sense, the MB is also inverted where the PCI bus is bottom right instead of bottom left, the PSU is not modular (defeating the education of cable management) and the beauty of it all: ALMOST NONE OF THEM ARE ALIKE!!!

It might be cheaper to buy a prebuilt if the end goal is to get a computer that works, but that's not his stated goal. you will in fact only learn one thing: How not to build a computer.

I've worked with dells in college and none of them have clipped into place.

9 minutes ago, Enovi said:

Every old dell (core2 days) i've laid hands on has had clipped in place PSUs and RMDs with pre-engineered cable management. we had a machine PSU fail at the office several years ago. went to the PC store in town and picked up a cheapie. had to cut a hole in the back of the computer just to plug it in, and another for the power switch and ream holes for the bolts to secure it as ... huh! mainstream DIY components aren't clip in place like Dell's.

System specs:

10 minutes ago, Enovi said:

I've been loft hunting and found I am the proud owner of a Dell Dimension 5150 With a single core Pentium D, 512mb of RAM and Windows XP!!

PC Specs

i7 6700

Asus H110-PLUS

ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC

EVGA G2 550W PSU

3TB HD & 255GB SSD

CiT Galaxy Evolution

Upgrades

EVGA G2 550W PSU

Asus Strix GTX 1070

NZXT S340 ELITE BLACK

1 minute ago, Protex said:

I've been loft hunting and found I am the proud owner of a Dell Dimension 5150 With a single core Pentium D, 512mb of RAM and Windows XP!!

:D sick dudeeeee no need to buy anything then :D

just go on your local ebay and find the cheapest parts possible - what area do u live in? I'll do some shopping for you

I was looking into this option for building a computer for old ppl who only want to check the weather, email and look at their grandkids on FB (jk)/ my parents and aunts/uncles. 

I planned out a descent system for $250 without windows.

Asus Z97-A

Intel Core i5 4690K 4.6ghz

Dual EVGA GTX 970 SSC 14030 Mhz 

2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

CM Hyper 212 Evo

256GB SSD

500GB HDD

4TB WD Blue

Corsair HX 750i

Corsair 750D