Dremel - Cutting a hole for a 120mm fan

Organized

Hi guys,

I want to cut a hole for a 120mm fan into my side panel. The only tool I got for this is my dremel. Circular saws are just way too expensive for just one hole, that's why I'm not going for it.

I have a circle cutter for my Dremel, but as it's supposed to be used with a simple drill, I don't know if I can use it for metal. Does anyone know that?

If it's not possible, I have to do it by hand - right?

Greets,

Andy

A dremel might not cut a nice round hole. A pair of tin snips will make a nicer hole

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I'm going to say that it is possible to get a round enough hole with a dremel. I've used one for cutting a window in my front panel. While not round, the process should be the same. Mask the panel with painters tape and draw your circle with a marker. Then go ahead and cut one or two milimeters inside your mark (gives you room for mistakes), you'll probably have to make cuts one by one. When done, use a file to true the hole up to your mark and finish up with several grits of sandpaper. Of course, working carefully will get the best results, again, I only used a dremel to cut straight lines freehand. But the lines came out very nicely, unless you get fairly close and look for mistakes, you can't notice it on my front panel.

Thanks!

I found a piece of metal and will use that for doing a test cut. The guy on this Amazon review used the circle cutter for a sidepanel aswell.

If my test cut will fail, I will do it by hand - there will be a dust filter on it, which will hide a possibly bad looking result. xD

Might be a silly question, but what's wrong with just using a carbide hole saw?

Or just a center punch drill bit and a half round bastard file.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

2 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

Might be a silly question, but what's wrong with just using a carbide hole saw?

Or just a center punch drill bit and a half round bastard file.

A hole saw with this size would cost at least 50€ and that would make that hole really expensive.

I didn't get the second part, do you mean that I should drill a hole in the middle and then use a file to remove the rest? :o You don't want me to be online for the next 2 months? xD

7 hours ago, Organized said:

A hole saw with this size would cost at least 50€ and that would make that hole really expensive.

I didn't get the second part, do you mean that I should drill a hole in the middle and then use a file to remove the rest? :o You don't want me to be online for the next 2 months? xD

No that's just silly, you drill around the circumference of the circle and file it round, only takes about an hour with a small hole like that. As for the hole saws sorry I forget sometimes how much tools cost now, I've had a set for over a decade and they come in handy, like my plasma cutter but I don't think you need to buy one of those for a one time circlexD.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

I already asked a local company that does laser cutting jobs, but unfortunately it's not possible to cut painted metals with lasers. That would be the best and cleanest solution :)

I think I will do it tomorrow, at almost midnight my neighbors would become kinda angry I think. And also, my slim fan will arrive tomorrow, so I can build everything together xD

Okay, doing this with a dremel will not be as easy and clean as I thought it would be. My test hole is pretty messy and I don't want my side panel to look like this :S I'll try to borrow a hole saw from somewhere. Maybe a jigsaw would do the job, too?

On 2016-12-13 at 7:43 AM, Organized said:

Okay, doing this with a dremel will not be as easy and clean as I thought it would be. My test hole is pretty messy and I don't want my side panel to look like this :S I'll try to borrow a hole saw from somewhere. Maybe a jigsaw would do the job, too?

Your going to need to clean up your cuts using a metal file if you want perfectly circular cuts with clean edges. A hole saw would help a bit and lessen the amount of filing required but not eliminate it, if you go for a hole saw be sure to get a bimetal one. 

They have an attachment for cutting circles with a dremel. They also have the cheaper plastic jig that works just as well. Just need a metal bit and regular drill or bit to get the pilot hole started. 

Used a jig saw for mine but I was cutting a hole for a 360 rad. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz