cores vs gigahertz

BenoitWW

Completely out of curiosity, 

presume that there are 2 identical CPUS, each having 4 cores at 4.0ghz

Now assume CPU 1 loses half its cores and CPU 2 halves its clock speed. 

Which CPU would perform best overall?

Depends, gaming usually prefers clock speed over cores so CPU 1 would be better with that but multi-core stuff like rendering I think CPU 2 should be better.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Basically more cores allows you to do more things at once while more clock speed will allow you do the things faster, that's basically it, good enough nowadays high end CPUs can focus on increasing single core/dual core clock speed for the applications even when having 4 or more cores thanks to Turbo Booster.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

why dont you try it? you can go into BIOS and turn off cores and reduce clock speed. Im pretty sure the higher speed with less cores will be better for most tasks except for certain games that require a quad core. What you will find with older games that will work on a lower clock speed is they also do not make use of 4 cores.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Most applications tend to favor higher clocks over more cores. Hell, that's how I'm able to use a G3258 for everything that I do.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

There were a lot of discussions when dual & quad core CPUs came out; we were all asking why would anyone need an expensive multi-core core CPU there is no software that can multi-thread. haha

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

They will perform the exact same but that assumes the program is able to scale correctly between cores and speed.

Of course in the real world it will depend on the application and how well it's able to spread processing or how much over head it has.

-アパゾ

Not forgetting the instances where you are not doing a single task and change the Affinity of the programs that are running so that they don't all try to use the same Core

This is an interesting question. It really depends on the software and optimization. The purely theoretical answer is that there would be no difference at all, the performance change would be exactly the same. I know the common word is "A quad-core at 3.0 GHz is not the same as a 12.0 GHz single-core, it doesn't work like that", but actually it sort of does work like that in terms of raw computational power. If a CPU core executes X computations per cycle, then creating a chip with four times as many cores or four times as many cycles per second both give you the same result: 4X theoretical performance. It's only in practice that this doesn't follow through, due to the way software utilizes the processor.

Here are some benchmarks I did; the first set is done at 3.0 GHz with increasing core counts. The second set is done at 4.5 GHz (50% higher frequency) at each core count. (hyperthreading is disabled in the two sets shown here, but I have more results with hyperthreading enabled for both cases if anyone is interested :P)

7a14ed426f.png

Some interesting comparisons can be made. The second set of tests (+50% frequency) gives roughly +50% performance across the board, dropping slightly as core count increases, but it's not by much. The scaling with core count is subject to much stronger diminishing returns, as some might expect from games.

The change from 2 cores to 3 cores (+50% more cores) gives 78% more performance. However the change from 4 cores to 6 cores (again +50% more cores) gives only 36% more performance.