Trying to find the bottleneck

Go to solution Solved by neision,
On 12/11/2016 at 0:11 AM, DunePilot said:

Not a bottleneck for your current GPU. Chipset isn't a problem either since you don't have to worry about an OC since the CPU isn't maxing out and bottlenecking the GPU.

What you have is paired up pretty well other than lacking 8GB-16GB of ram. If you plan on upgrading the GPU to something much newer and much more powerful though then yeah a completely fresh build would be the way to go.

Hey Everyone, Not too long after exams I'm back home and enjoying the Christmas vacation, Eager to start gaming again I encountered the issue where I would drop frames lke crazy, lots of fps stuttering on the GTX 960. Recalling when the issue started was when I removed an 8Gb stick from my pc, so the problem had to be either the RAM or the mobo.

Doing some more in depth research I found the cause of the problem which happened to be the OS itself and not the hardware. The pagefile or virtual memory in windows was too small. Not that the system didn't have enough RAM, I'd monitor the RAM usage and it would run up to 80%+ but doesn't justify the frame skips. 

Increasing the pagefile size fixed the issue, and the fps remains constant and stable upon doing so. I am quite sure if I throw more RAM into the system that would also fix the issue.

IMPORTANT: I am using an SSD, I've came to understand that using an SSD would have better performance than an HDD when using larger pagefile sizes, however the disadvantage is that you deplete it's lifespan once used aggressively.

Here's a video on how to increase it if anyone would like to know.

Many thanks to everyone and their suggestions and input, Happy New Year everyone!

Nick.

I am going to back flip off of my balcony if someone doesn't help me with this problem.

I keep getting a crazy amount of dropped frames and I'm not getting the performance I should with my current build. In games such as Assassin's Creed 3 & Ryse: Son of Rome.  I mainly play CSGO and recently started playing casual games again.

I made a video to show you the terrible performance I'm getting in Ryse: Son of Rome and I've attached screenshots of the system's stats while I play said game for about 10 mins or so.

Here's another video with a similar GTX 960 that doesn't get the dropped frames I'm experiencing. They drop from 45 to 15< for a couple of ms

My specs are as follows. 

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4 - 4.2GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 960 2Gb

(reference)

RAM: Kingston Hyper X 8Gb 1600Mhz (DC 1333Mhz/ 667Mhz)

HDD: Crucial M500 128GB & a Cheap Transcend SSD

MOBO: Gigabyte   GA-78LMT-USB3   (rev 5.0)                                             ~~~760G chipset with a 990fx cpu

PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750w 80+ Gold

Only going through the stats I noticed I only have 4GB of RAM installed, that would be me using the other 8GB stick in another computer at my parent's house, RIP

As you can see in the video when there is camera movement, frames drop like crazy, you can check the stats below for any potential bottlenecks, any feedback is appreciated, this is my 3rd and final post on this issue.

Screenshot_18.pngScreenshot_19.pngScreenshot_20.pngScreenshot_21.pngScreenshot_22.png

so much info missing 9_9

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I can already tell you that it's the GPU. I used a 970 at Ultra 1080@60 and had bad frame-rate.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, stealth80 said:

so much info missing 9_9

hit the enter button and somehow managed to post the thread....sigh

1 minute ago, neision said:

Well you already have a thread about a bottleneck. Spamming threads is against the community standards try bumping the old thread.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

12 minutes ago, neision said:

please edit the post

IM BACK BABY

Just now, SLAYR said:

Well you already have a thread about a bottleneck. Spamming threads is against the community standards try bumping the old thread.

*ignores*  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Just now, kurtstir said:

please edit the post

4 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

so much info missing 9_9

apologies
post edited.

Use cam or MSI afterburner and add CPU GPU and RAM usage to the overlay and see which one is maxing out. You want it to be the GPU not the other two.

Just now, DunePilot said:

Use cam or MSI afterburner and add CPU GPU and RAM usage to the overlay and see which one is maxing out. You want it to be the GPU not the other two.

GPU & CPU ussage is there, not RAM though 

8 minutes ago, neision said:

GPU & CPU ussage is there, not RAM though 

GPU is staying maxed even when frames dip into the 20s and CPU thread 1 is spiking into the 60%s. So they seem like an ok match... CPU isn't maxing out but possibly RAM is. My work network is slow so I can't tell if the game is running smooth or choppy. If it's choppy then you might need some more RAM, if it's smooth then that just might be all you are gonna get outta that GTX 960.

GPU is staying maxed even when frames dip into the 20s and CPU thread 1 is spiking into the 60%s. So they seem like an ok match. My work network is slow so I can't tell if the game is running smooth or choppy. If it's choppy then you might need some more RAM, if it's smooth then that just might be all you are gonna get outta that GTX 960.

well according to this video, I  shouldn't be getting the fps drops, they drop from 45  to 15 and below for a couple ms or so

You replied while I was editing my post since it might not have been clear enough. When you are getting those dips I'm only seeing CPU spike to 60s and GPU is staying maxed, so  your RAM might be maxing out. If your CPU was maxing out into the 90s we would know it was the CPU. Adding some more ram 8GB+ might help you avoid the FPS dips but you might not gain much on the FPS top end.

You replied while I was editing my post since it might not have been clear enough. When you are getting those dips I'm only seeing CPU spike to 60s and GPU is staying maxed, so  your RAM might be maxing out. If your CPU was maxing out into the 90s we would know it was the CPU.

figured that it could be my RAM, I think I gave up with this build, honestly wasn't upgrading until zen gets out but I'll have to get a propper 990fx chipset mobo and my 8gb stick back. I appreciate the responses m8.

Good thing is that DDR3 is dirt cheap, Id get some good 1600+ Cas 9 sticks. 12GB or 16GB kit. Probably run you $40 or call a local shop and ask if they have any old used DDR3. Maybe you can swap your 4GB with that 8GB and let them have the 4GB stick so they can still use their machine.

Good thing is that DDR3 is dirt cheap, Id get some good 1600+ Cas 9 sticks. 12GB or 16GB kit. Probably run you $40 or call a local shop and ask if they have any old used DDR3. Maybe you can swap your 4GB with that 8GB and let them have the 4GB stick so they can still use their machine.

Definitely,  my motherboard is a bottleneck as well, wrong chipset and the memory and storage speed compatibility is long out-dated.

Just now, neision said:

They care,  my motherboard is a bottleneck as well, wrong chipset and the memory and storage speed compatibility is long out-dated.

Not a bottleneck for your current GPU. Chipset isn't a problem either since you don't have to worry about an OC since the CPU isn't maxing out and bottlenecking the GPU.

What you have is paired up pretty well other than lacking 8GB-16GB of ram. If you plan on upgrading the GPU to something much newer and much more powerful though then yeah a completely fresh build would be the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2016 at 0:11 AM, DunePilot said:

Hey Everyone, Not too long after exams I'm back home and enjoying the Christmas vacation, Eager to start gaming again I encountered the issue where I would drop frames lke crazy, lots of fps stuttering on the GTX 960. Recalling when the issue started was when I removed an 8Gb stick from my pc, so the problem had to be either the RAM or the mobo.

Doing some more in depth research I found the cause of the problem which happened to be the OS itself and not the hardware. The pagefile or virtual memory in windows was too small. Not that the system didn't have enough RAM, I'd monitor the RAM usage and it would run up to 80%+ but doesn't justify the frame skips. 

Increasing the pagefile size fixed the issue, and the fps remains constant and stable upon doing so. I am quite sure if I throw more RAM into the system that would also fix the issue.

IMPORTANT: I am using an SSD, I've came to understand that using an SSD would have better performance than an HDD when using larger pagefile sizes, however the disadvantage is that you deplete it's lifespan once used aggressively.

Here's a video on how to increase it if anyone would like to know.

Many thanks to everyone and their suggestions and input, Happy New Year everyone!

Nick.