Re live update

sniip
Just now, Starelementpoke said:

hotfixes

What are they and how are they different from regular driver updates?

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

There's been at least 3+ driver updates not including hotfixes, so I think it's not a concern at this point.

there'd have to be new tests to be sure, but presumably thats a thing they've taken care of, if i recall the article even said that it's most likely a thing to do with "hot off the press" drivers, and would be ironed out over time.

Just now, Freezanator said:

They're usually released when a singular but significant problem is found, and needs to be addressed quickly as apposed to driver updates where fine tuning the card and improving it, along with minor bugs.

an update looks like this:

- updated X

- updated X

- added Y

- added Y

- removed Z

- fixed A occuring when B and C are done together

a hotfix looks like this:

SHYTE this is totally an issue we overlooked, here, it's fixed.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

there'd have to be new tests to be sure, but presumably thats a thing they've taken care of, if i recall the article even said that it's most likely a thing to do with "hot off the press" drivers, and would be ironed out over time.

I would assume so. can't image why any company would leave a problem like that alone.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

They're usually released when a singular but significant problem is found, and needs to be addressed quickly as apposed to driver updates where fine tuning the card and improving it, along with minor bugs.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

an update looks like this:

- updated X

- updated X

- added Y

- added Y

- removed Z

- fixed A occuring when B and C are done together

a hotfix looks like this:

SHYTE this is totally an issue we overlooked, here, it's fixed.

I see. Does NVIDIA have those? 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 

I would assume so. can't image why any company would leave a problem like that alone.

well, it did give them a max fps of 170, where the GTX1060 only had a max of like.. 90 maybe?

it was more of an eyeopener to what max/avg/min actually means than an actual useful benchmark in the grand scheme of things.

everyone does. 

1 minute ago, Freezanator said:

Every company does. At one point or another they've fucked up and needed to do a quick patch. Like Nvidia with they're like 364.XX or something drivers.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

everyone does. 

Could you give me a link to it? I've always updated my drivers but I've never come across a hotfix.

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

Could you give me a link to it? I've always updated my drivers but I've never come across a hotfix.

because in essence hotfixes are only needed when they screw something up, it's no secret that they happen, but generally they're pretty rare.

not that i update my drivers anywhere near often, but if i recall their hotfixes are deployed the same way as other driver updates.

Just Google GeForce hot fix driver. There is like 5 or 6 on the first page 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

but if i recall their hotfixes are deployed the same way as other driver updates.

Got it. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

21 minutes ago, manikyath said:

eh, it depends on preference i guess. i honestly prefer nvidia drivers just because i'm used to them, and i know what all the buttons do. some people dont mind paying a bit extra for the convenience of familiarity.

Yeah, I also like the drivers. I was using only Nvidia cards till now. But seeing how much AMD has already reached with RX series just makes me think, maybe I should switch and see for my self how good the AMD cards have become?

1 minute ago, sniip said:

Yeah, I also like the drivers. I was using only Nvidia cards till now. But seeing how much AMD has already reached with RX series just makes me think, maybe I should switch and see for my self how good the AMD cards have become?

i've considered tossing something like an RX460 in my media center to give AMD a spin, but it's not really worth the money seeing i spent less on that entire rig than the price of an RX460 :D

Just now, manikyath said:

i've considered tossing something like an RX460 in my media center to give AMD a spin, but it's not really worth the money seeing i spent less on that entire rig than the price of an RX460 :D

Well atm I have gtx 560 1GB variant soo... I think it's about time I upgrade :D But the real question to which card since bot are so close... Also noobie question, How can RX480 only reach 1400MHz~ core speed with overclock (Looking at MSI gaming X variant) and GTX1060 can reach like 2100MHz... Or do those sites lie? Since I heard that RX480 cards overclock better just cause of the memory...

1 minute ago, sniip said:

Well atm I have gtx 560 1GB variant soo... I think it's about time I upgrade :D But the real question to which card since bot are so close... Also noobie question, How can RX480 only reach 1400MHz~ core speed with overclock (Looking at MSI gaming X variant) and GTX1060 can reach like 2100MHz... Or do those sites lie? Since I heard that RX480 cards overclock better just cause of the memory...

well, the architecture on the RX480 and the GTX1060 is fundamentally different, you really cant compare the clock speed.

it's like an athlon 64 running at 2GHz and a P4 running at 4GHz, and they pretty much being comparable speed.

Just now, manikyath said:

well, the architecture on the RX480 and the GTX1060 is fundamentally different, you really cant compare the clock speed.

it's like an athlon 64 running at 2GHz and a P4 running at 4GHz, and they pretty much being comparable speed.

Oh so it's like that Intel cpu vs AMD, when AMD can say that they have 8 cores and Intel only 4 cores but in reality they both work like 4 core cpus right?

47 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

It was never much better performing. Even before this update, they still were ball park each other. Before Relive, there was another update that made the 480 take the lead, and that's just going to be further now:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html

So you would recommend me to get the RX480 right? Also both cards would be MSI Gaming X variants. And what about overclocks, does RX480 really do better overclock?

2 minutes ago, sniip said:

Oh so it's like that Intel cpu vs AMD, when AMD can say that they have 8 cores and Intel only 4 cores but in reality they both work like 4 core cpus right?

it's like comparing the health benefit of eating an apple or the health benefit of eating a slice of cheese.

both are agruably healthy, but they cant really be directly compared with numbers.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it's like comparing the health benefit of eating an apple or the health benefit of eating a slice of cheese.

both are agruably healthy, but they cant really be directly compared with numbers.

Hmm. So what would you recommend me to get? Try to go for AMD or stay in the green side?

Just now, sniip said:

Hmm. So what would you recommend me to get? Try to go for AMD or stay in the green side?

it's up to you. if you have no specific preference i'd suggest AMD because of some rather specific details on both sides.

that said, some manufacturers did naughty things with their VRMs on the RX480, you have to make sure you buy a good one (which.. dont ask me.. i honestly cant recall :/)

it's up to you. if you have no specific preference i'd suggest AMD because of some rather specific details on both sides.

that said, some manufacturers did naughty things with their VRMs on the RX480, you have to make sure you buy a good one (which.. dont ask me.. i honestly cant recall :/)

I think it was EVGA FTW edition that didn't had pads on VRMs. Unless there were other controversies I haven't heard about...

Just now, sniip said:

I think it was EVGA FTW edition that didn't had pads on VRMs. Unless there were other controversies I haven't heard about...

that's on the nvidia side, and they have baicly admitted fault, and offered several means of going at it to get it fixed.