Erroneous CPU Temperature Readings

Hi, I'm Getting temperature readings on the CPU that are way too high to be correct( 70C+ idle), and it is causing the pc to shut down since it thinks it is on fire. Can't work out what is causing it, but it is definitely not as hot as the readings say. Temps have been checked in AMD overdrive, Asus AI Suite 2, HWMonitor and Aida64. Have reverted to stock clocks, reapplied thermal paste, cleared cmos and tried various settings in the bios with no success. Have been running this pc for 3-4 years with no problems whatsoever, and nothing has changed. Pump and fans are all working, clean case, etc. I've tried a different PSU, a single gpu, different memory configurations and an old Hyper 212X I had laying around. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

AMD FX-8350

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

4x 4GB GSkill Ares 1866mhz

Corsair H110i GTX

Arctic Silver 5

2x R9 280X

Corsair RM1000i

Windows 10 Pro

Cheers

AMD overdrive reads temps in thermal margin, degrees until max temp if it reads 70C then that means that it is 70C under the max temp.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

AMD overdrive reads temps in thermal margin, degrees until max temp if it reads 70C then that means that it is 70C under the max temp.

Yeah I'm aware.The reading is 0, which means its at 70C.

Just now, Pige0n said:

Yeah I'm aware.The reading is 0, which means its at 70C.

Have you checked to see if your fans are spinning, or if the pump on the watercooler sounds weird, most likely the cooler went bad, try putting the stock cooler on it.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Have you checked to see if your fans are spinning, or if the pump on the watercooler sounds weird, most likely the cooler went bad, try putting the stock cooler on it.

Yeah the cooler is all good. I chucked a Hyper 212X on and the same thing happened.

4 minutes ago, Pige0n said:

Yeah the cooler is all good. I chucked a Hyper 212X on and the same thing happened.

Which thermal paste are you using? How did you apply it? Are you sure that the cooler is making good contact with a CPU?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Which thermal paste are you using? How did you apply it? Are you sure that the cooler is making good contact with a CPU?

I use Arctic Silver 5, applied using the pea method. Cooler is definitely making proper contact.

Just now, Pige0n said:

I use Arctic Silver 5, applied using the pea method. Cooler is definitely making proper contact.

OK... You haven't overclocked it, right?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

OK... You haven't overclocked it, right?

Currently on stock clocks and voltage. Was overclocked to 4.7Ghz at 1.42v previously though.

Just now, Pige0n said:

Currently on stock clocks and voltage. Was overclocked to 4.7Ghz at 1.42v previously though.

If you can, reapply the thermal compound using the line method and apply more than you previously did...

It may fix it...

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If you can, reapply the thermal compound using the line method and apply more than you previously did...

It may fix it...

It's definitely not a thermal paste issue. I've already reapplied it using the correct amount.

1 minute ago, Pige0n said:

It's definitely not a thermal paste issue. I've already reapplied it using the correct amount.

Then can you send a screenshot of HW Monitor showing the motherboard section as well. I think that the CPU's Temperature sensor is broken...

19 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Then can you send a screenshot of HW Monitor showing the motherboard section as well. I think that the CPU's Temperature sensor is broken...

I also think the sensor is broken. Temperatures seem to be staying at somewhat acceptable levels at idle now, but as soon as there is any sort of CPU load the temp shoots up to about 80 degrees Here's the screenshot:

https://gyazo.com/3a223b76bf5e5069f85694e8e3d90291

3 hours ago, Strike105X said:

That's normal with asus boards unfortunately. I would try putting a fan at the back of the motherboard right where the socket is, it should bring down the temps closer to the CPU cores, that's how i keep my temps down as well, on my Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0, maybe try a bios update as well, as with mine i had no issues even with the sensor hitting 75C.

Socket temp is completely fine.

4 hours ago, Pige0n said:

I also think the sensor is broken. Temperatures seem to be staying at somewhat acceptable levels at idle now, but as soon as there is any sort of CPU load the temp shoots up to about 80 degrees Here's the screenshot:

https://gyazo.com/3a223b76bf5e5069f85694e8e3d90291

The sensor is probably broken... 80C with an H100i is impossible...

10 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The sensor is probably broken... 80C with an H100i is impossible...

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Any idea how to get around it, and perhaps only shut down if the socket temp were to exceed a certain level? Not sure if something like that would even be possible seeing as the feature is probably built into the CPU itself.

27 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Sorry i completely missed your post where you mentioned the AMD overdrive results, so you where refering to the core temps, that does look like a faulty sensor, or a messed up algorythm calculation... dunno what you can do about that.

No worries. Was wondering what you were on about haha. I'll just keep fiddling with it and report back if anything works.

4 hours ago, Pige0n said:

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Any idea how to get around it, and perhaps only shut down if the socket temp were to exceed a certain level? Not sure if something like that would even be possible seeing as the feature is probably built into the CPU itself.

By using the motherboard's temperature sensor, as it is located on the motherboard and is more accurate. (For AMD CPUs)

Any reading that's exactly zero I wouldn't believe. AMD overdrive is pretty good but hitting exactly margins on the nose... Highly unlikely.

If you have the Corsair Link software installed and connected the USB cable, check the temp on the H110 CPU block. On my system, it's usually about 10c different than the actual thermal temp under the CPU itself, with thermal margins between 70 and 50.