Razer blade stealth 8GB ram or 16GB ram?

Hi so I am looking for an ultrabook for this upcoming winter quarter in college and I was eyeing on the new razer blade stealth. I am not set on the blade stealth and I am still open to other suggestions for ultrabooks. I would prefer that my budget for an ultrabook be at around $1000 and the max im willing to spend is $1300. So I saw the blade stealth and was wondering would the baseline model of the stealth with 8GB ram and an i7 7500u be enough for my needs and for many years to come? I know that laptops today have very little upgradeable parts so I want to make sure my purchase is a good one. I would need an ultrabook with very good battery life and it would be used to take notes during class, surf the web, potentially program in java or C, type up school papers and essays, and be used for general media consumption like watching youtube videos, listening to music, and watching movies. I would NOT use it for gaming though since I already have a gaming laptop at my house already that I use as a "desktop replacement". My question is that would the baseline model of the razer blade stealth be enough for my needs or should I just get a Macbook 2016 or a Dell XPS 13 instead? The reason why I ask about the blade stealth is because I really like the unibody chassis of it, and it looks like a matte black macbook running windows. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

sax teen bytes of jam

translate from my language

16GB of RAM

The geek himself.

Number 1 MACS are a waste of your money keep that in mind. THE NEW MAC HAS 2 CORES, 2 ESPECIALLY FOR A i7

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi so I am looking for an ultrabook for this upcoming winter quarter in college and I was eyeing on the new razer blade stealth. I am not set on the blade stealth and I am still open to other suggestions for ultrabooks. I would prefer that my budget for an ultrabook be at around $1000 and the max im willing to spend is $1300. So I saw the blade stealth and was wondering would the baseline model of the stealth with 8GB ram and an i7 7500u be enough for my needs and for many years to come? I know that laptops today have very little upgradeable parts so I want to make sure my purchase is a good one. I would need an ultrabook with very good battery life and it would be used to take notes during class, surf the web, potentially program in java or C, type up school papers and essays, and be used for general media consumption like watching youtube videos, listening to music, and watching movies. I would NOT use it for gaming though since I already have a gaming laptop at my house already that I use as a "desktop replacement". My question is that would the baseline model of the razer blade stealth be enough for my needs or should I just get a Macbook 2016 or a Dell XPS 13 instead? The reason why I ask about the blade stealth is because I really like the unibody chassis of it, and it looks like a matte black macbook running windows. 

While the Razer Blade Stealth is nice, I see no reason to get it (aside from looks). It has equal performance as the XPS, but worse battery life...

Was I helpful? Accept my answer or agree / mark me as informative!

Quote me, or I probably won't notice you responded to me!

Only Constructive Criticism is taken into consideration. 

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Number 1 MACS are a waste of your money keep that in mind. THE NEW MAC HAS 2 CORES, 2 ESPECIALLY FOR A i7

The Blade stealth and XPS 13 also only have two cores....and the 13" rMBP is also priced similarly to both the Stealth and XPS 13.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

The Blade stealth and XPS 13 also only have two cores....

idk i built a computer, I didn't buy a pre build

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Maybe, and this is just a thought, don't talk shit when you're literally talking out of your ass. If you don't know something, then why pretend that you do. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Dawson Wehage said:

imac or macbook?

most laptops with i5/i7 are actual dual cores.. :( 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

hey man I build many computers and sell them as well as build for other people. I understand where you are coming from but sometimes you cant lug around a desktop PC, monitor, mouse, and keyboard to your classes and back. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Maybe, and this is just a thought, don't talk shit when you're literally talking out of your ass. If you don't know something, then why pretend that you do. 

Hey Hey Hey, I wasn't swearing so don't swear. And I do know something about something. And as*es don't talk. No Harm Done :)

The geek himself.

Just now, themctipers said:

imac or macbook?

i was looking at the Macbook 2016 with the m3 processor 

Just now, themctipers said:

imac or macbook?

wow really? thats a downer, i thought we got past the dual core days in laptops.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

God no.

13" rMBP without touchbar if you want OSX, otherwise, XPS 13. 

wow really? thats a downer, i thought we got past the dual core days in laptops.

We're not even past the dual core days in desktops. i3's are still very common. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

it'll work i guess, i don't really know about the macbook 2016 but i know its thin as fuck and should have a good battery life.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

God no. 13" rMBP without touchbar. 

but isnt that $1500? i would prefer to spend around $1000  for a ultrabook perhaps $1300 MAX. 

Anyways OP, I would actually say 8gb may be good for what your planning on doing. The only time you need 16Gb of ram is doing maybe 1. Video Editing 2. Gaming 2. 3D Modeling and so on. So yes 8GB is enough.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

God no.

Yeah but I mean, I am talking about computers that cost about 1300 dollars at start, should have a quad core. I think your spending a little too much money on a dual core i5.

The geek himself.

Yeah but I mean, I am talking about computers that cost about 1300 dollars at start, should have a quad core. I think your spending a little too much money on a dual core i5.

the downside to a quad core would be that the battery life would be bad. I need a laptop to have at least 8 hours of battery life so I can last the whole day without bringing the charger and being glued to the wall. 

4 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Meh, a lot of people don't need more than a hyper threaded dual core, and it's still the standard in the 13" ultrabook form factor. Not to mention the negative battery impact. 

5 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

but isnt that $1500? i would prefer to spend around $1000 max for a ultrabook perhaps $1300 MAX. 

2014-2015 13" rMBP is also a good option. You can also get a $100 student discount if you're a student. But the Macbook (non pro) is $1300 and you're restricted to Core M performance. Again, this is all assuming you want OSX. If you don't want OSX and/or there isn't something you really love about the Mac, then the XPS 13 is a good option that has cheaper configurations. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Meh, a lot of people don't need more than a hyper threaded dual core, and it's still the standard in the 13" ultrabook form factor. Not to mention the negative battery impact. 

2014-2015 13" rMBP is also a good option. You can also get a $100 student discount if you're a student. But the Macbook (non pro) is $1300 and you're restricted to Core M performance. 

True True

The geek himself.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

God no.

what about the blade stealth? I dont really like OSX but i always liked the aesthetics of the macbooks like the unibody look of it. 

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

what about the blade stealth? I dont really like OSX but i always liked the aesthetics of the macbooks like the unibody look of it. 

If you don't like OSX (and you've given it more than half a second), then you shouldn't even consider a Mac. The Blade Stealth suffers from Razer's general lack of quality control, bad support, mediocre trackpad, and not so great battery life. The XPS 13 is a better laptop than the Stealth (although, I do much prefer the aluminum unibody of the Mac, and thus the stealth, to the XPS 13's design).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler