New PC doesn't turn on after moving case lights

njmyers3

I finished building my PC in my signature yesterday and got Windows installed, and everything was working fine. After a while I noticed that my NZXT Hue was starting to droop from the top of the case, so I shutdown the computer and used some 3M double sided tape to stick them back up. After putting the side panel back on, the computer doesn't turn on. I have no idea how this would even happen. I didn't touch anything besides the LED strip. My motherboard has a built in RGB light strip, which is always on even when the PC is off, and the red power light on the mobo is on, so that means that the PSU is working. I've checked all of my power cables, and they are tight. Also what's weird is that when I press the power button, a static sound plays from the speakers for just a split second, but the fans don't even start to spin. Please help me, I'm dying to play Just Cause 3!

TL;DR:

The computer was working fine, but the LED strip was starting to fall. I taped my NZXT Hue LED strip to the top of my case with 3M double sided tape, put the side panel back on, and the computer now doesn't boot. Static can be heard from the speakers when I press the power button.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

Try to remove the LED strip in case it is shorting out 12v to the case. If that make the PC post again inspect the LED strip.

Also unplug the PSU and leave it unplugged for 10 sec then plug it back in.

24 minutes ago, dj-lucas said:

Try to remove the LED strip in case it is shorting out 12v to the case. If that make the PC post again inspect the LED strip.

Also unplug the PSU and leave it unplugged for 10 sec then plug it back in.

I've tried removing all the sata cables from the power supply and that didn't help, but thanks for the suggestion. I will leave it unplugged for a while and try again later.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

3 minutes ago, njmyers3 said:

I've tried removing all the sata cables from the power supply and that didn't help, but thanks for the suggestion. I will leave it unplugged for a while and try again later.

but have you tried to unplug the LED Strip?

2 hours ago, njmyers3 said:

I finished building my PC in my signature yesterday and got Windows installed, and everything was working fine. After a while I noticed that my NZXT Hue was starting to droop from the top of the case, so I shutdown the computer and used some 3M double sided tape to stick them back up. After putting the side panel back on, the computer doesn't turn on. I have no idea how this would even happen. I didn't touch anything besides the LED strip. My motherboard has a built in RGB light strip, which is always on even when the PC is off, and the red power light on the mobo is on, so that means that the PSU is working. I've checked all of my power cables, and they are tight. Also what's weird is that when I press the power button, a static sound plays from the speakers for just a split second, but the fans don't even start to spin. Please help me, I'm dying to play Just Cause 3!

TL;DR:

The computer was working fine, but the LED strip was starting to fall. I taped my NZXT Hue LED strip to the top of my case with 3M double sided tape, put the side panel back on, and the computer now doesn't boot. Static can be heard from the speakers when I press the power button.

If your motherboard has a power button on it, try using that.  If not then unplug your power button from its header and use a screwdriver to touch the pins that it plugged into.

Most likely the problem is not your power button, but it would stink to go through hours of troubleshooting to find it was the power switch.

I've solved the problem, the other side panel was the issue :P now I need to come up with a permanent solution. Thanks for all the help :) 

1 hour ago, dj-lucas said:

but have you tried to unplug the LED Strip?

I'll assume you didn't know, but the NZXT Hue connects through a sata power port, so disconnecting all the sata stuff would also disable the LEDs.

My main computer:

Spoiler

Pictures of setup:

4 minutes ago, njmyers3 said:

I'll assume you didn't know, but the NZXT Hue connects through a sata power port, so disconnecting all the sata stuff would also disable the LEDs.

oh haha yea i didn't know thanks