Heating up pool water

Would it be possible to make something like mining station with thousand of GPUs with waterblocks, and moving that water from each of those blocks to swimming pool, and get warm water this way?

How many GPUs or CPUs would need to run at 100% load, to warm up swimming pool around 10x10x2m ?

I do have the weirdest dreams, I know. But I just had to ask lol

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

3 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Would it be possible to make something like mining station with thousand of GPUs with waterblocks, and moving that water from each of those blocks to swimming pool, and get warm water this way?

The issue with this is the pool pump. You would have massive head pressure and would need to plan accordingly. If it were possible, though, I wouldn't expect the pool to be heated by much.

3 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

How many GPUs or CPUs would need to run at 100% load, to warm up swimming pool around 10x10x2m ?

As many as you have in a case. Desired temp would be an issue that may arise unless you want to feel like a lobster.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I'm sure that it will based on the TDP and the surface area of the water, any value above the rate of cooling that the pool has to the air would need to be overcome, then it's a matter of how fast you want to heat it.

Well with my i7 4790k and GTX 1070 at 100% load with Aida64 and valley running, I got my water temps to 42°C.

But in my loop there is around 650ml of water.

In a pool 10x10x2m there would be 20'000'000 liters of water.

So to heat up pool, someone would need to use about 30'770'000 systems like this?

Pump might be a problem yeah, but not unless you use more pumps. Like 1 pump for 10 GPUs or system in general.

Well 30'000'000 GPUs might be too big of an investment for someone to acctually build pool like this lol

It might be fun if anyone would try to heat up some small pool for kids that you can buy for like 50$ today. Those have around 500l capacity, so you would only need 1000 GPUs xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

No it isn't possible, at least not for more than a day or two...

Meet copper chloride. a lovely bluish green crystal that form through the interaction of copper (a major component of just about every water cooling component) and Chlorine, found in... you guessed it, pool chlorine, also found in common table salt, so that salt water pool is out too.

Basicaly, after a day or so, you water blocks would be full of sludge, and your pool.... Well lets just say I wouldn't want to be swimming in that.

The way to do this is to use heat exchangers and stick the heat exchangers inside the pool. This way the watercooling loop water does not mix with the pool water which would destroy your tubing and waterblocks.

The pool water needs to contain chlorine.

The loop water needs to contain other more concentrated biocides and anticorrosives.

This method would cool the loop and heat up the cool water without mixing the two, and yes it would work because a pool can absorb like billions of joules of heat due to all the water heat capacity.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The way to do this is to use heat exchangers and stick the heat exchangers inside the pool. This way the watercooling loop water does not mix with the pool water which would destroy your tubing and waterblocks.

The pool water needs to contain chlorine.

The loop water needs to contain other more concentrated biocides and anticorrosives.

This method would cool the loop and heat up the cool water without mixing the two, and yes it would work because a pool can absorb like billions of joules of heat due to all the water heat capacity.

That way only heat from loop water would transfer to pool water if I got that right.

That might acctually work, but would need a lot of GPUs, waterblocks and pumps. It would be interesting though.

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

That way only heat from loop water would transfer to pool water if I got that right.

That might acctually work, but would need a lot of GPUs, waterblocks and pumps. It would be interesting though.

Yes only the heat would transfer, not the fluids.

I'm not sure how many watts pool heaters are, but if you get some 295X2s and FX9590s it shouldn't be too hard to reach thousands of watts of heat.

Pretty much all power that a PC consumes is turned into heat, so it's really easy to calculate heat based on the wattage of the components.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes only the heat would transfer, not the fluids.

I'm not sure how many watts pool heaters are, but if you get some 295X2s and FX9590s it shouldn't be too hard to reach thousands of watts of heat.

Pretty much all power that a PC consumes is turned into heat, so it's really easy to calculate heat based on the wattage of the components.

https://elementsofheating.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/how-to-calculate-the-kw-required-to-heat-a-volume-of-water-in-a-particular-time/

So based on that:

Pool for kids with around 500 liters of water * 4 * 20 (lets say temperature of water is 20°C and we are trying to get it up to 40°C). / 3412

== 11,7kW 

So with that kind of power, I would be able to warm up my 500l pool from 20°C to 40°C in 1 hour. Probbably it would take more time since there are also some losses with heat transfer etc.

Does that sound right?

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

https://elementsofheating.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/how-to-calculate-the-kw-required-to-heat-a-volume-of-water-in-a-particular-time/

So based on that:

Pool for kids with around 500 liters of water * 4 * 20 (lets say temperature of water is 20°C and we are trying to get it up to 40°C). / 3412

== 11,7kW 

So with that kind of power, I would be able to warm up my 500l pool from 20°C to 40°C in 1 hour. Probbably it would take more time since there are also some losses with heat transfer etc.

Does that sound right?

Yeah, so that would be like idk, 8 or 10 PCs with an FX9590 and two 295X2s?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah, so that would be like idk, 8 or 10 PCs with an FX9590 and two 295X2s?

Well that doesn't sound that bad.

Something like that could be also used as water heater at home. Mining bitcoins or Folding, while getting free hot water in return to shower with xD 

Linus should do something like this!

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Well that doesn't sound that bad.

Something like that could be also used as water heater at home. Mining bitcoins or Folding, while getting free hot water in return to shower with xD 

Linus should do something like this!

Well, you would still cause a lot of damage to the hardware since it's not made to run at 100% 24/7, so even though the heat isn't an additional cost the parts would eventually die and you would lose the thousands of dollars they cost.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Well, you would still cause a lot of damage to the hardware since it's not made to run at 100% 24/7, so even though the heat isn't an additional cost the parts would eventually die and you would lose the thousands of dollars they cost.

Wouldn't you get all the investment back from the bitcoins that you mined?

I would just run aida64 for on those systems, but acctually do something usefull.

Each of those R9 295X2 should mine for about 2,5$ per day (exluding power cost). And there is 3 years warranty on GPU, so I think in 3 years it would pay off.

WD My Cloud 4TB

8 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Wouldn't you get all the investment back from the bitcoins that you mined?

I would just run aida64 for on those systems, but acctually do something usefull.

Each of those R9 295X2 should mine for about 2,5$ per day (exluding power cost). And there is 3 years warranty on GPU, so I think in 3 years it would pay off.

Consumer hardware mines currency way too slow.

You need to use ASICs.

Spoiler