New Case Questions

1823alex

Budget under $150 US I'd like it to have usb 3 also.

I need a new case I'd like something compatible with this:

i5 3570k Overclocked

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 ti Overclocked

SoundBlaster Fatal1ty Champion with a front 5.25 or 3.5 inch bay

x2 4gb Corsair Vengeance RAM

(Totalling 8gb of RAM)

Asus P8Z77-V LX (Motherboard)

Windows 7 Home Premium

Corsair Carbide Series 400R

Boot Drive: 1 Terabyte Western Digital <--- This hard drive vibrates D:

Secondary hard drive: 1.5 Terabyte Western Digital

Third Drive: Hitachi 230gb

Random Cooler Master 700 Watt PSU

My current case: Carbide 400R

It's gotta be compatible with an ATX motherboard.

I was looking at

Define R4

Carbide Air 540

Any suggestions would be helpful, pictures or links to the case you suggest would be VERY VERY helpful.

Thanks

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Corsair 540 air, its much better, better temps, better cable routing and it looks like a beast. The define r4 is used way too much, you gotta stand out from the crowd and i think it looks like a fridge.

Edit: due the change in the poll the better case is the phantom, will be get better temps, airflow(better appearance imo). Better rad support, i cant think problems, it even has a free fan controller. The R4 is a fridge.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

If you don't acre about a window a HAF 912 from Cooler Master would be really good. Otherwise, the Corsair Air 540 is ridiculously awesome.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Any one know if the NZXT Phantom Full Tower case is good? I can get anm aperture m card reader to substitute since the case doesn't natively support usb 3 I beleive.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Any one know if the NZXT Phantom Full Tower case is good? I can get anm aperture m card reader to substitute since the case doesn't natively support usb 3 I beleive.

I think the phantom 530 might be a good fit

Building a PC: check it out here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qvon

I think the phantom 530 might be a good fit

I don't like the 530 as much as the regular phantom, also amazon has it marked for the white version 'temporarily out of stock'

I have the air 540. It is really roomy and the clutter is kept to a minimum since the psu is in the back. Its a bit cheaply made, but what do you expect for  a $130 case.

Intel 4770k   -   Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 16gb 1866mhz   -   Corsair Air 540   -   Gentle Typhoon AP45   -   Corsair ax1200i   -   Razer Death Adder 2013   -   Filco Majestouch 2   -   Crucial m4 256gb ssd   -   1TB Western Digital Black   -   Asus Maximus vi Formula   -   Bitspower matte black fittings   -   Black Ice sr1 240mm and 360mm Radiators   -   Swiftech mcp655   -   EK x-res pump top   -   Promochill Advanced lrt 3/8 5/8 bloodshed red tubing   -   swiftech apogee hd cpu block   -   Asus pb278q 1440p monitor   -   Razer Carcharas Headphones   -   Razer Vespula Hard Mouse Pad   -   Arctic Silver 5 TIM   -   Sapphire r9-290x   -   Ek-fc R9-290x Waterblock and Backplate

I think I'm gonna go with the Phantom Full Tower ATX case I mainly like the look of it and the air flow seems great especially since the case is only $100

Then what's this on top of my case? 

6bff0d3690c749039b0386bd7ea22449.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Both cases you've named are great. Another case worth a look would be the Arc Midi R2. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Then what's this on top of my case? 

6bff0d3690c749039b0386bd7ea22449.png

Nevermind I didn't know that as on the amazon pictures I didn't see anything on usb 3

Nevermind I didn't know that as on the amazon pictures I didn't see anything on usb 3

It's a bit of a shame imo. The case uses a usb 3.0 header for esata and a single usb 3.0 port instead of 2 usb 3.0 ports. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Corsair Carbide Air 540 :D

It would be even better if they release a white version :)

I say the Phantom. It fits pretty much anything you want and is a wind tunnel. Mine has served me well since I bought it. Never ran into a problem.

Budget under $150 US I'd like it to have usb 3 also.

My current case: Carbide 400R

It's gotta be compatible with an ATX motherboard.

I was looking at

Define R4

Carbide Air 540

Any suggestions would be helpful, pictures or links to the case you suggest would be VERY VERY helpful.

Thanks

are you just needing a change or have issues with the 400R?

i think you will be making a lateral move (no better or worse) buying a new case. unless

there is something about the 400R you are not liking. other than that, spending money

for something you already have seems a bit of a waste..

tbh, you could benefit greatly with a OS SSD boot drive and later model GPU.

You would want to use windows 7 pro to get the best from your rig. Home edition wont recognize any more than 8gb ram (x64) or 4gb (x86)

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest the phantom 810, 630 or even 530. They all have superb cooling options, and they look great. The only problem I can find is that they are both a bit to large for my taste. My 630 is almost imposible to move. And the window on the 630 is also a bit small. But there are some features that makes them as good as they are. they all have a fancontroll integrated to them, they have ssd mounts behind the motherboard tray, the 630 have a fan mount inside the case, right infromt of the hdd cages, for direct airflow through the hdd cages and direct flow to the pci slots, and the enomous space for cable management