Qustions about SpeedFan software

Hello LTT users!

I have some questions regarding the SpeedFan software so lets get straight to it.

Do i need to run SpeedFan in the background for it to control my fans?

Can i make a fan react to my cpu temperature and my gpu temperature at the same time or will they fight eachother?

How do i know what fan it is im configuring? the names are just to complicated and i cant relate them to any of my fan names (as far as i know).

Will SpeedFan override my other fan configurations or do i need to uninstall the other softwares?. I use MSI Afterburner for GPU and MSI Command Center for CPU and System fans.

Is SpeedFan really the program to go with? its really complicated imo.

Qustions not regarding SpeedFan:

How do i know which one of the connectors i should plug the fan into on my motherboard? (x99 SLI Plus) i just plugged them into random 4 pin connectors when i installed some new aftermarket fans.

I got two new Noctua fans that should be runnning at 1500 rpm but one of them is only running at 1400 rpm, can this has anything to do with where i plugged them into my motherboard?

Noctua users. Do you recommend leaving the vibration pads on or off?

23 minutes ago, Lucarto said:

Do i need to run SpeedFan in the background for it to control my fans?

Yes you need to. luckily Speedfan is very lightweight so it doesn't use any CPU overhead 

23 minutes ago, Lucarto said:

Can i make a fan react to my cpu temperature and my gpu temperature at the same time or will they fight eachother?

Yes you can. Go into settings and there is a fan control tab that allows you to dynamically change fan speed based on cpu or gpu temp. It'll take some time getting it right, as the software itself looks archaic

24 minutes ago, Lucarto said:

How do i know what fan it is im configuring? the names are just to complicated and i cant relate them to any of my fan names (as far as i know).

If you have a lot of fans there's not much of a way to identify which fan is which. Sometimes the software will automatically identify the header the fan is plugged in so you discern that way. Sometimes it doesn't. For the latter it'll be best if you have your side panels off your PC case and check to see if your fan speeds have changed. 

26 minutes ago, Lucarto said:

Will SpeedFan override my other fan configurations or do i need to uninstall the other softwares?. I use MSI Afterburner for GPU and MSI Command Center for CPU and System fans.

speedfan will override your other software, but only once it boots up into the OS. 

27 minutes ago, Lucarto said:

Is SpeedFan really the program to go with? its really complicated imo.

Sadly it is one of the only piece of software out there that can control fan speeds, and it is quite powerful as well once you figure out how to use it. If you're unsure you can always Google it

28 minutes ago, Lucarto said:

How do i know which one of the connectors i should plug the fan into on my motherboard? (x99 SLI Plus) i just plugged them into random 4 pin connectors when i installed some new aftermarket fans.

is your aftermarket fans 4-pin as well? you'll be able to fully control these fans. you can still control 3-pin fans but it'll be based off of voltage. just make sure you consult your mobo manual and see how the headers are arranged in terms of signals for each pin. 2-pin fans cannot be controlled unless the header is a special variety. 

30 minutes ago, Lucarto said:

I got two new Noctua fans that should be runnning at 1500 rpm but one of them is only running at 1400 rpm, can this has anything to do with where i plugged them into my motherboard?

Unsure. 

30 minutes ago, Lucarto said:

Noctua users. Do you recommend leaving the vibration pads on or off?

I personally would leave them on. But if your case is pretty cramped with those pads you can remove them. Noctua fans are very well designed anyways. 

1 hour ago, Technicolors said:

Yes you need to. luckily Speedfan is very lightweight so it doesn't use any CPU overhead 

Yes you can. Go into settings and there is a fan control tab that allows you to dynamically change fan speed based on cpu or gpu temp. It'll take some time getting it right, as the software itself looks archaic

If you have a lot of fans there's not much of a way to identify which fan is which. Sometimes the software will automatically identify the header the fan is plugged in so you discern that way. Sometimes it doesn't. For the latter it'll be best if you have your side panels off your PC case and check to see if your fan speeds have changed. 

speedfan will override your other software, but only once it boots up into the OS. 

Sadly it is one of the only piece of software out there that can control fan speeds, and it is quite powerful as well once you figure out how to use it. If you're unsure you can always Google it

is your aftermarket fans 4-pin as well? you'll be able to fully control these fans. you can still control 3-pin fans but it'll be based off of voltage. just make sure you consult your mobo manual and see how the headers are arranged in terms of signals for each pin. 2-pin fans cannot be controlled unless the header is a special variety. 

Unsure. 

I personally would leave them on. But if your case is pretty cramped with those pads you can remove them. Noctua fans are very well designed anyways. 

Thank you alot for taking the time and answering my questions it helped alot!