rx 470 vs gtx 1050ti

Go to solution Solved by Misanthrope,
3 minutes ago, krish9116 said:

ya getting a antec psu 450 watt . think it should be good with the 470? right?

right?

Antec is a relatively good brand AFAIK and the rest of your system seems to be relatively low power (the other big draw would be overclocking but you can't with an i3 anyways) it should be ok.

second hand pc bought off a failed internet cafe less than 6 months old

looking to upgade psu and graphics card

current config

CPU i3 4160

MOBO biostar hi fi b85 s3+

GPU gt 610

RAM kingston 8gb ddr3

PSU something really shady no markings denoting power or anything of the sort

HDD 1TB TOSHIBA

rx 470 and 1050ti are 10 dollars apart in my country ( rx is 10 dollars more)

get an rx 470 and an cx450m

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

RX 470 is 25% faster at 1080p, it's usually more expensive though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Unless you want half height (those are nice) or are running out of a potato PSU (which you shouldn't anyways) the 470 it's just better in every aspect for just like an extra 20.

EDIT: In your particular case however, seeing how you do have a potato PSU and you might need to factor in a new PSU (which you should but I understand you might not be able to at this time) the 150ti runs on substantially less power. I wouldn't recomend using a 470 with your current PSU (it's not a huge deal but since we have no idea of the power rating and even if it said, potato PSU flatout lie about it anyway) the 470 would be like the last card I'd be comfortable putting there but no guarantees whereas the 1050ti is guaranteed to work cause it uses close to half the power.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Unless you want half height (those are nice) or are running out of a potato PSU (which you shouldn't anyways) the 470 it's just better in every aspect for just like an extra 20.

EDIT: In your particular case however, seeing how you do have a potato PSU and you might need to factor in a new PSU (which you should but I understand you might not be able to at this time) the 150ti runs on substantially less power. I wouldn't recomend using a 470 with your current PSU (it's not a huge deal but since we have no idea of the power rating and even if it said, potato PSU flatout lie about it anyway) the 470 would be like the last card I'd be comfortable putting there but no guarantees whereas the 1050ti is guaranteed to work cause it uses close to half the power.

right?

3 minutes ago, krish9116 said:

right?

Antec is a relatively good brand AFAIK and the rest of your system seems to be relatively low power (the other big draw would be overclocking but you can't with an i3 anyways) it should be ok.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

450W is fine, 550W is better...

Usage % of PSUs are like other computer parts. If you get high enough it starts to heat up. That's why I'd aim higher for PSU for Single GPU setups and recommend a 550W minimum for a mid range computer. High end of course is higher especially if you're into overclocking and/or dual GPUs.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

5 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

450W is fine, 550W is better...

Usage % of PSUs are like other computer parts. If you get high enough it starts to heat up. That's why I'd aim higher for PSU for Single GPU setups and recommend a 550W minimum for a mid range computer. High end of course is higher especially if you're into overclocking and/or dual GPUs.

That also depends on the brand and efficiency rating and such. So a Corsair middle of the road to mediocre PSU your rule of thumb would be reasonable yet getting a nice Seasonic unit then it would be fine cutting it closer because of their efficiency and higher quality.

But this is getting a bit in depth when it comes to PSU choice and I haven't looked into Antec units to see where they stand overall so I can concede your point: 450 is fine, 550 is better.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

That also depends on the brand and efficiency rating and such. So a Corsair middle of the road to mediocre PSU your rule of thumb would be reasonable yet getting a nice Seasonic unit then it would be fine cutting it closer because of their efficiency and higher quality.

But this is getting a bit in depth when it comes to PSU choice and I haven't looked into Antec units to see where they stand overall so I can concede your point: 450 is fine, 550 is better.

I thought I replied to OP. Silly me xD

I meant no offense or anything. Just additional information for OP. Haha :D

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."