Peformance Problems (Especially in BF1)

Hi there!

I pre-ordered Battlefield 1 in October and since it's been out I've been noticing a couple things, that (I think at least) shouldn't be the way they are at the moment.

I started the game, put everything to low and also decreased the resolution scale (to about 75%) so my PC would be able to handle the game better.

Then the next day I started playing multiplayer, because the game wasn't completely downloaded the day before.

The first match I joined was a round of 64 player conquest on Sinai Desert. Even though my settings were so low, I struggled to get even close to 60 fps, my average was at around 45 fps (I had several drops to the low 30s).

I thought that this was just the map and that it will be better on other maps. So I switched to St. Quentin Scar (is this how you spell it? :D ) and it got even worse.

Then I thought that it was the server size so I switched to TDM and it stayed the same.

All I'm trying to say here is: The server / map / in game effects don't really change my fps number.

The next time I started the game I fired up HWMonitor and overclocked my 750Ti as far as it could without a crash and also had MSI Afterburner running for a GPU graph.

When I closed the game later (the average jumped up about 5 fps) I noticed that my GPU's load during conquest was only around 40% (This number also never changes with game modes, etc.),

but my CPU was constantly at 100% load. Then I looked at the temps in HWMonitor and noticed that something was a little hot, but not too dramatic (~73°C but no, it wasn't my CPU :D).

The next day I finally wanted to fix the issue and looked up how to overclock my CPU on this board as the CPU is definitely the issue here (I know, I shouldn't overclock my CPU on this board, but I did anyway).

I changed the base frequency a bit until I found out that my system was stable with around 104MHz base (This isn't much, but it helped a bit, increasing my average by another 3 fps or so).

Just to make sure everything was running fine I opened up HWMonitor again and the temperature that was a little hot before now became really hot:

Attachment 1.png

I'm pretty sure it's either the RAM or the VRM, but I don't know exactly :D.

This is probably also the reason why I couldn't go past 105MHz base clock.

I was just wondering how this could happen, because both the RAM and the VRM are within the airflow path (there is an intake at the front):

Attachment 2.png

Getting back to the game now:

I dropped my resolution to 720p to find out if that helps. And sure enough, it didn't :(.

My average was still the same, except my game looked worse.

I also searched for ways to make the game run better. One video I found was from a guy called "LowSpecGamer". His video made me confident that I was definitely able to achieve 60 fps+, when even his GTX 460 could run the game.

But it did not really improve my performance at all, so I reverted back to the original settings, although I kept the fps counter (and made it larger as well) and the decreased shadow quality because that gave me another 2 or so frames.

(By the way, driver updates didn't help me at all!)

Now I'm lost and I don't know if there is any way I can fix it, because I think my hardware should at least be capable of 60fps with low settings on 720p.

So if you've got any tips or solutions, those would be greatly appreciated :D.

Also: If you've got similar or, even better, the same hardware as I do, it would be awesome if you could tell me what performance you get in Battlefield 1.

These are my specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K

Motherboard: MSI A78M-E35

GPU: Asus GTX 750Ti (+170MHz on the core, +175MHz on the memory)

RAM: 16GB (2x8) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600MHz

everything else isn't as important so you can look on my profile if you want to know more

BF1 is a very demanding game. It can't can't run on an old-aged cpu even if it is a quad core. Better have an i3

It's pretty well documented that Bf1 is very CPU intensive, I have a 2500k at 4.1 (though even in games in tubos to like 5GHz) and that's what's limiting my system with an rx480 which is capable of much better than what I get; since the 2500k is better than the cpu you have I think we can see what the problem is here. decreasing the resolution and stuff like that more affects the gpu than the cpu.

Sorry if I said something that you wrote, I'd be lying if I said I didn't just skim your massive post lol.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @4.4GHz Motherboard: Intel DX79TO | Graphics Card: XFX RX 480 RS RAM:  16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3 @ 1600MHz Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: 1x Kingston UV400 120GB | 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 1x WD Green 1TB | PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W | Case: NZXT S340 White | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x31

4 minutes ago, Oscargot said:

It's pretty well documented that Bf1 is very CPU intensive, I have a 2500k at 4.1 (though even in games in tubos to like 5GHz) and that's what's limiting my system with an rx480 which is capable of much better than what I get; since the 2500k is better than the cpu you have I think we can see what the problem is here. decreasing the resolution and stuff like that more affects the gpu than the cpu.

Sorry if I said something that you wrote, I'd be lying if I said I didn't just skim your massive post lol.

Yeah, the problem is just that I can't afford new hardware at the moment and that there aren't any settings that really change cpu load. :( 

You should turn the CPU Fan 90°. It shouldnt sit right ontop the GPU. And your CPU is simply not powerfull enough. Sad, but you have to accept that  Fact.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO