No boot, fans spin except case fans

Phllips
Go to solution Solved by Spork829,
1 minute ago, Phllips said:

Might see if I can  find one somewhere otherwise I'll just buy a new one, my only concern is that the PSU might have fried some other things 

At least in the experience I had, nothing else fried. Don't know if that's normal or if I got lucky, though.

My pc black screened 3 times and now it isnt turning back on, when i turn it on the lights for my case fans turn on but they dont spin unless i manually get them started. All other fans spin but slowly. 

Before the 3rd black screen I did some temperature tests and some benchmarks, gpu was maxing at 85 during the valley benchmark and cpu wasnt going past 70 on prime95. So I assume its a motherboard or PSU issue. Is there anyway to test which ones broken if not both without finding other parts to test with

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

I had this exact same issue, turned out to the a faulty PSU failing under load. So most likely that.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

9 minutes ago, Phllips said:

My pc black screened 3 times and now it isnt turning back on, when i turn it on the lights for my case fans turn on but they dont spin unless i manually get them started. All other fans spin but slowly. 

Before the 3rd black screen I did some temperature tests and some benchmarks, gpu was maxing at 85 during the valley benchmark and cpu wasnt going past 70 on prime95. So I assume its a motherboard or PSU issue. Is there anyway to test which ones broken if not both without finding other parts to test with

Really your best bet would be to sit down with your PSU and PSU manual with a voltometer and just start testing each lead and making sure the right voltage is coming through, after that your next best bet if the PSU tests fine would be to do a CMOS reset in case there's something that got modified in the BIOS

7 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I had this exact same issue, turned out to the a faulty PSU failing under load. So most likely that.

I had an issue with my PSU some 6 months ago when it turned out the fan wasn't always starting, fixed it by slapping a spare case fan  on top of it so I wouldn't be surprised if that were it.  

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

7 minutes ago, Phllips said:

I had an issue with my PSU some 6 months ago when it turned out the fan wasn't always starting, fixed it by slapping a spare case fan  on top of it so I wouldn't be surprised if that were it.  

Yeah I'd definitely get to trying a different one first.

12 minutes ago, Palden said:

Really your best bet would be to sit down with your PSU and PSU manual with a voltometer and just start testing each lead and making sure the right voltage is coming through, after that your next best bet if the PSU tests fine would be to do a CMOS reset in case there's something that got modified in the BIOS

I don't have a voltmeter nor do I really mind buying a new PSU, I just wondered if it was likely that the motherboard was fried as well and I should order all the new shit together 

|| MAELSTROM ||

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Yeah I'd definitely get to trying a different one first.

Might see if I can  find one somewhere otherwise I'll just buy a new one, my only concern is that the PSU might have fried some other things 

|| MAELSTROM ||

1 minute ago, Phllips said:

At least in the experience I had, nothing else fried. Don't know if that's normal or if I got lucky, though.

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Thanks for your help, in truth an upgrade isn't the end of the world anyway but I was hoping to wait till the next gen of cpu's were out

|| MAELSTROM ||

2 minutes ago, Phllips said:

Thanks for your help, in truth an upgrade isn't the end of the world anyway but I was hoping to wait till the next gen of cpu's were out

No problem, let me know how it goes :D