Installed new ssd, how do I clean install windows 10 to it

kestonlamers
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
4 minutes ago, kestonlamers said:

But how do I  uninstall windows from my HDD after i plug it back in? Because I would have windows installed on both drives separately. 

You don't need to uninstall windows from the hdd. Just set the ssd as the boot drive.

I just installed an ssd to my computer. When I go into disk management, I see the blank drive and my HDD. I want to install windows to the SSD. I already reinstalled windows through the settings app, but it just reinstalled on my HDD. Also, I can not allocate my SSD. when I right click on it from  disk managment, the "new simple volume..." is grey. please help me.

Edit: the status of the SSD (unallocated) is listed as Recovery Partition, and my HDD is listed as boot, page file, crash dump, and primary partition.

Edit2: I right clicked on a different part of the drive, it gives the options to initialise. Do I want MBR or GPT?

Edit3: ssd is now formatted and able to be used from Windows, but how do I reinstall windows to it and  make it my boot drive?

7 minutes ago, kestonlamers said:

I just installed an ssd to my computer. When I go into disk management, I see the blank drive and my HDD. I want to install windows to the SSD. I already reinstalled windows through the settings app, but it just reinstalled on my HDD. Also, I can not allocate my SSD. when I right click on it from  disk managment, the "new simple volume..." is grey. please help me.

Edit: the status of the SSD (unallocated) is listed as Recovery Partition, and my HDD is listed as boot, page file, crash dump, and primary partition.

Did you check this video?

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

10 minutes ago, kestonlamers said:

Edit2: I right clicked on a different part of the drive, it gives the options to initialise. Do I want MBR or GPT?

Get a windows install usb or a install server and select the ssd when it lists the disks.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Get a windows install usb or a install server and select the ssd when it lists the disks.

I have the install image on my flash drive, how do I get to the screen where I can choose my boot drives? The last time I reinstalled windows it didn't ask and installed Windows on my HDD automatically.

My ssd wasn't formatted at that point though.

Just now, kestonlamers said:

I have the install image on my flash drive, how do I get to the screen where I can choose my boot drives? The last time I reinstalled windows it didn't ask and installed Windows on my HDD automatically. 

Just keep clicking next until you see it. Id probably unplug the hdd when you install it on your ssd.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just keep clicking next until you see it. Id probably unplug the hdd when you install it on your ssd.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

But how do I  uninstall windows from my HDD after i plug it back in? Because I would have windows installed on both drives separately. 

4 minutes ago, kestonlamers said:

You don't need to uninstall windows from the hdd. Just set the ssd as the boot drive.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Ok, thank you