i5 6300HQ or i7 6700HQ?

Navic

I am getting a gaming laptop, and I am choosing between the i5 6300HQ or the i7 6700HQ

The computer will have a 1060, 16GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD.

I will also be plugged in most of the time.

I would like to know, which would be better for the things I am going to be doing, on this laptop. (listed below)

Things I am going to be doing

1. Playing games (CS:GO, BF1, Titan Fall 2, ect.) at 1080P at high/ultra settings

2. Recording while playing those games (OBS)

3. Audio recording (voice overs, and while doing #2)

4. Video editing

5. Photoshop

6. Every-day tasks, and other things.

The reason I am asking is because the i5 version of the laptop costs $200 cheaper than the i7, and I want to know if it is really worth the extra $200 for the i7.

Any feedback helps. Thank you for taking the time to read this. :)

1 minute ago, RickNickHD said:

I am getting a gaming laptop, and I am choosing between the i5 6300HQ or the i7 6700HQ

I would like to know, which would be better for the things I am going to be doing, on this laptop. (listed below)

1. Playing games (CS:GO, BF1, Titan Fall 2, ect.) at 1080P at high/ultra settings

4. Video editing

5. Photoshop

The reason I am asking is because the i5 version of the laptop costs $200 cheaper than the i7, and I want to know if it is really worth the extra $200 for the i7.

get the i7 if you are recording, and editing 

If you wanna do all that stuff on your laptop,  it might just be worth it to go for the i7. You'll get worse battery life, but if you're doing all those things I'd bet you'll be plugged in all the time.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Kobathor said:

If you wanna do all that stuff on your laptop,  it might just be worth it to go for the i7. You'll get worse battery life, but if you're doing all those things I'd bet you'll be plugged in all the time.

Yes, I will be plugging in 90% of the time.

Just now, RickNickHD said:

Then the i7 would be good.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Kobathor said:

Then the i7 would be good.

Thank you :)

4 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

get the i7 if you are recording, and editing 

Thank you :)

2 minutes ago, RickNickHD said:

If your going to be plugged in that much then why don't you get a desktop?

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

If your going to be plugged in that much then why don't you get a desktop?

Because I need something that I can move around, and take with me on trips w/o me having to worry about things breaking, or taking things apart.

5 minutes ago, RickNickHD said:

I will also be plugged in most of the time.

4. Video editing

5. Photoshop

The i7 has a 300Mhz higher clock speed and hyper threading. you said you wanted to record and video edit, the i7 would be quite a bit faster. It really comes down to whether you really need the 4 extra threads and 300Mhz more

Just now, RickNickHD said:

Because I need something that I can move around, and take with me on trips w/o me having to worry about things breaking, or taking things apart.

Well if I were you I would get a desktop. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Well you're not. A laptop is infinitely more portable, since basically everywhere you go there's an outlet but you don't have to carry around an entire bloody monitor and keyboard. You can't pull out a desktop to write an essay at starbucks

exactly, i think people need to remember that people get laptops because they aren't aware that desktops are more powerful 

4 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Well if I were you I would get a desktop. 

But laptops are getting closer and closer to the power of a desktop, are they not? I mean, the new Nvidia 10 series cards for laptops performs about the same (just a little underclocked) as a desktop card.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

huh? That's not why.... I literally just said the opposite.

i forgot to put a "don't" between " people get" Should read as:

"exactly, i think people need to remember that people DON'T get laptops because they aren't aware that desktops are more powerful"

3 minutes ago, RickNickHD said:

But laptops are getting closer and closer to the power of a desktop, are they not? I mean, the new Nvidia 10 series cards for laptops performs about the same (just a little underclocked) as a desktop card.

It's not the GPU that is the problem, it's the CPU because 2.60 (base of the i7 6700HQ) is just slow compared to my i7 4790K which had base of 4GHz. 

زندگی از چراغ

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

It's not the GPU that is the problem, it's the CPU because 2.60 (base of the i7 6700HQ) is just slow compared to my i7 4790K which had base of 4GHz. 

True. That is why I didn't mention the CPU. They will catch up in due time.

The i7 for more cache and HT. A HK will allow OC, but that depends on the laptop you buy.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list