What is the best cpu only for twitch streaming?

Go to solution Solved by Prysin,
5 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

Nope thinking of a build

isnt the best cpu for the task a 6950x

No.
using the CPU is a waste, you want to use a GPU or Intel Quicksync to accelerate things. That is MUCH faster and better then using the CPU.

if using CPU alone, get a AMD FX. They are cheap as fuck and does the job just fine.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RqBJgL

That is the most cost effective way of doing it. If you have a capture card, it isnt worth splurging thousands of dollars on the problem.

To give you an idea. when it comes to streaming, using a GTX 750 with GPU acceleration is a magnitude of order faster then using a 6950X running at 5GHz.

Will you be streaming while gaming or streaming some other kind of footage?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

Will you be streaming while gaming or streaming some other kind of footage?

Using it as a dedicated streming pc getting a feed from a capture card, thinking of blackmagic or a elgato (the integreated type)

The more power you have the better quality you encode in real time. But there is a point of diminishing returns. I don't stream much but I think both Twitch and OBS provide you settings calculator, you put in your bandwidth, stream format, and CPU power and it can tell you what to use. But in general the better your cpu is the higher quality you stream in for a given bandwidth. If you have a huge upload pipe it may not matter that much. 

17 hours ago, geo3 said:

The more power you have the better quality you encode in real time. But there is a point of diminishing returns. I don't stream much but I think both Twitch and OBS provide you settings calculator, you put in your bandwidth, stream format, and CPU power and it can tell you what to use. But in general the better your cpu is the higher quality you stream in for a given bandwidth. If you have a huge upload pipe it may not matter that much. 

Okay

I thought more of how many cores and ghz

Just now, Prysin said:

Skylake i7 with Quicksync enabled.

So a 3+ ghz xeon processor is a waste?

19 hours ago, Bwithnewcast said:

Using it as a dedicated streming pc getting a feed from a capture card, thinking of blackmagic or a elgato (the integreated type)

i got the Elegato HD Pro x60 (the PCIe one)...
Good card,
Dont use the Elegato software, it's rubbish

Use OBS or something like that to get the info from the capture card

you want AT LEAST a AMD FX 6350 or Intel i3 6100 to use that card, it can get very CPU intensive, luckily it has very well multithreaded drivers.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

do you have a motherboard already?

Nope thinking of a build

5 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

Nope thinking of a build

No.
using the CPU is a waste, you want to use a GPU or Intel Quicksync to accelerate things. That is MUCH faster and better then using the CPU.

if using CPU alone, get a AMD FX. They are cheap as fuck and does the job just fine.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RqBJgL

That is the most cost effective way of doing it. If you have a capture card, it isnt worth splurging thousands of dollars on the problem.

To give you an idea. when it comes to streaming, using a GTX 750 with GPU acceleration is a magnitude of order faster then using a 6950X running at 5GHz.

this is the whole setup you should get. The Intel 600p is used for the OS and "temp storage" giving you really high speeds there. the 3TB WD RED is obviously for local storage of streams.

you use the GTX 1050 for GPU acceleration and the AMD FX 6350 with WRAITH cooler to keep things running.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pkgH7h

i even left a little headroom in the powersupply to overclock the CPU a little bit.

The Wraith cooler that COMES with the AMD FX 6350 is equal to a Hyper 212 EVO. Both in noise and cooling.

26 minutes ago, Prysin said:

this is the whole setup you should get. The Intel 600p is used for the OS and "temp storage" giving you really high speeds there. the 3TB WD RED is obviously for local storage of streams.

you use the GTX 1050 for GPU acceleration and the AMD FX 6350 with WRAITH cooler to keep things running.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pkgH7h

i even left a little headroom in the powersupply to overclock the CPU a little bit.

The Wraith cooler that COMES with the AMD FX 6350 is equal to a Hyper 212 EVO. Both in noise and cooling.

I have a msi R7 370 4gb laying around, can i use that instead of the gtx 1050?

7 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

I have a msi R7 370 4gb laying around, can i use that instead of the gtx 1050?

yeah you should be able to. But some softwares are a bit less willing to use AMDs GPU accelerator. OBS does use it, but Xsplit doesnt i think.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

yeah you should be able to. But some softwares are a bit less willing to use AMDs GPU accelerator. OBS does use it, but Xsplit doesnt i think.

Okay i have expirence using obs not xsplit so that works out ;)