I am currently using an i3-6100 and games are getting more demanding CPU wise.

So I'm planning on getting a new CPU when Zen or Kaby-lake releases next year but I don't know if I should settle for kaby-lake or Zen at all since people are saying that the kaby-lake is a small ipc improvement with more heat whereas zen will have a higher percentage ipc increase, what CPU should I go for?

I also have an RX 470 4gb which I don't plan on upgrading soon, I just need a good cpu that will make me play Battlefield 1 Smoothly at 1080p 60fps ULTRA.

Any recommendation of Zen or Kabylake are mostly speculation at this point. 

Because Kabylake is on the 1151 socket you won't have to get a new motherboard when you upgrade.

I don't think you will regret getting a beefier Skylake CPU.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

if you have a z170 motherboard, get an i5 6600k. if you do not, get an i5 6500. 

I'm using a h110 mobo. :(

1 minute ago, 4DHavoc said:

I'm using a h110 mobo. :(

you can still get an i5 6600k, you just won't be able to overclock which might be seen as a waste. You also would have to buy a cooler, as the 6600k does not include one and your previous stock cooler won't perform well enough. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

you can still get an i5 6600k, you just won't be able to overclock which might be seen as a waste. 

Yeah thanks but I also read on reddit forums and other tech forums that i5 CPU's are weak for battlefield 1.

So i think I might settle for an i7-6700k and a new mobo or Zen and an amd mobo :D.

3 minutes ago, 4DHavoc said:

Yeah thanks but I also read on reddit forums and other tech forums that i5 CPU's are weak for battlefield 1.

So i think I might settle for an i7-6700k and a new mobo or Zen and an amd mobo :D.

if you can afford it, go for it. but wait for ZEN benchmark for bf1 before you get one. 

1 minute ago, 4DHavoc said:

i5 is good enough for gaming. I don't see any reason for it to not handle bf1. Lol

5 minutes ago, Doggy McDogface said:

i5 is good enough for gaming. I don't see any reason for it to not handle bf1. Lol

BF1 is a bit shitty in the sense that it uses way more CPU power than it needs. an i5 6600k is the games recommended minimum. 

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

BF1 is a bit shitty in the sense that it uses way more CPU power than it needs. an i5 6600k is their recommended minimum.

my i3 6100 + gtx 1050 ti runs ~50fps high settings at 1080p

6 minutes ago, Doggy McDogface said:

I think i'll settle for an i7 since in my experience bf 1 gets 100% cpu usage with an i5 and a lot of stutters.

Stop saying lol at every sentence, it makes you look bad.

26 minutes ago, 4DHavoc said:

So I'm planning on getting a new CPU when Zen or Kaby-lake releases next year but I don't know if I should settle for kaby-lake or Zen at all since people are saying that the kaby-lake is a small ipc improvement with more heat whereas zen will have a higher percentage ipc increase, what CPU should I go for?

I also have an RX 470 4gb which I don't plan on upgrading soon, I just need a good cpu that will make me play Battlefield 1 Smoothly at 1080p 60fps.

I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp on Zen. After the "VR for the masses" barely capable of VR at all RX 480 launch, they have very little trust from me right now when it comes to performance claims. Likewise, the benchmarks coming out of Kaby Lake are unimpressive. One just dropped of a supposed 7700K that performed essentially clock for clock with the 6700K, but it had serious thermal issues in a room temperature controlled to 15C.

In short, I'd probably look to an i5-6500 or i7-6700 (based upon your H110 board) rather than paying the premium for Kaby Lake, and unless AMD has a rabbit in their hat, I just don't see Zen being worth scrapping your Skylake CPU and mobo for.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp on Zen. After the "VR for the masses" barely capable of VR at all RX 480 launch, they have very little trust from me right now when it comes to performance claims. Likewise, the benchmarks coming out of Kaby Lake are unimpressive. One just dropped of a supposed 7700K that performed essentially clock for clock with the 6700K, but it had serious thermal issues in a room temperature controlled to 15C.

In short, I'd probably look to an i5-6500 or i7-6700 (based upon your H110 board) rather than paying the premium for Kaby Lake, and unless AMD has a rabbit in their hat, I just don't see Zen being worth scrapping your Skylake CPU and mobo for.

This sums up my feelings exactly. Besides a few software things, your getting like 3% better power and processor performance with Kaby Lake, not worth it to me.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

9 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

4 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

not worth it to me.

but if you get kaby lake you can get that dank 4k playback on netflix, totally worth it!!! /s 

but if you get kaby lake you can get that dank 4k playback on netflix, totally worth it!!! /s 

4k monitors :(.

7 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

I bet Cannon Lake Coffee Lake will have 4K Netflix support. I also bet it will have a meaningful improvement in performance over equivalent Kaby Lake CPUs. :P

Edit: Know what? The more I think about it, screw it. Coffee Lake is another 14nm process, which leads me to wonder how much of an improvement, if any, it will offer over Kaby Lake. We're talking about moving forward into 2018 before we start to see desktop CPUs that could really move the needle again--unless Intel has been holding back its hand on 14nm so it can drop a Zen-killer with Coffee Lake.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Don't forget it won't support windows 7 either.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

3 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Don't forget it won't support windows 7 either.

PFPFT who needs windows 7, it doesnt even come with microsoft edge.

22 hours ago, 4DHavoc said:

I think i'll settle for an i7 since in my experience bf 1 gets 100% cpu usage with an i5 and a lot of stutters.

Stop saying lol at every sentence, it makes you look bad.

lol :P

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."