Non-gaming laptop for ~$600-700

I know someone is looking for a laptop for christmas. My parents work at a large company that lets the employees buy their "work laptops" after they are outdated. They generally replace the computers every few years. The last one my parents got was a Win 7 Intel i7-2720QM w/ 4GB ram. That was a few years ago, so I'd assume they'd be a bit better than that now. 

Looking at laptops on newegg (because it has a lot of them) I've found that in order to match the performance of the computers my parents can buy for cheap, we'd need to spend ~$500. So, assuming we'd want to get a better computer than that, even slightly, I'd say ~$600-750.

The person this computer is for does ZERO gaming, so a multi cored processor with lots of ram would be better than a faster, less cored cpu. This computer does NOT need an separate graphics card. Intel graphics is fine. (EDIT: Perhaps the type of computer I'm looking for would HAVE to come with a discrete GPU, not a big deal either way.)

So, recommendations in that price range? I'd prefer windows 10, because the person looking to get this isn't very computer literate, and it'd just be better to keep them updated. Win 8 would be too confusing, and win 7 is getting older.

So far I like this one on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834266511

I don't necessarily have to buy it on newegg, I'm just looking there, it's easier. 

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I know someone is looking for a laptop for christmas. My parents work at a large company that lets the employees buy their "work laptops" after they are outdated. They generally replace the computers every few years. The last one my parents got was a Win 7 Intel i7-2720QM w/ 4GB ram. That was a few years ago, so I'd assume they'd be a bit better than that now. 

Looking at laptops on newegg (because it has a lot of them) I've found that in order to match the performance of the computers my parents can buy for cheap, we'd need to spend ~$500. So, assuming we'd want to get a better computer than that, even slightly, I'd say ~$600-750.

The person this computer is for does ZERO gaming, so a multi cored processor with lots of ram would be better than a faster, less cored cpu. This computer does NOT need an separate graphics card. Intel graphics is fine. 

So, recommendations in that price range? I'd prefer windows 10, because the person looking to get this isn't very computer literate, and it'd just be better to keep them updated. Win 8 would be too confusing, and win 7 is getting older.

So far I like this one on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834266511

I don't necessarily have to buy it on newegg, I'm just looking there, it's easier. 

Thought you wanted more cores. Everything that ends in "U" is a dual core w/ hyperthreading. Look for HQ or HK for quad cores. But, that will reduce battery life a lot, increase cost, and usually come with a dedicated GPU. That being said, I just got a lenovo ideapad 700 and love it

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

This is a refurbished deal, but it's got the 128GB SSD and a 4-Core i5.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834294777

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Looks good 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

This is a refurbished deal, but it's got the 128GB SSD and a 4-Core i5.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834294777

personally I'd never go for a 128 system. had one before, filled up WAY too fast, and that involved 0 games and 0 video files. but that does seem to check most of the boxes

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Uhhh the only two mainstream quad-core mobile CPUS are the 6700HQ and the 6300HQ. But those usually come paired with dGPUs (like a 960m at the least)

You say you want CPU performance, then pick out a 7500U. What kind of usage are we talking about? Editing? Web browsing?

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with laptops. Personally I'd never try to buy a "powerful" laptop. It's a waste if you ask me.

It's not that this person is using power hungry apps, it's just that they are likely to leave 27 chrome tabs open while trying to watch a movie and edit a word document while trying to run software to checkup on their car.

Basically, an idiot proof laptop. I know that an i7 isn't necessary for web browsing or any of those things, but if you have everything open at once, a more powerful processor will... at least delay the slowdown and stop the complaining...

14 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

save some money, buy something used from 2010, they'll do everyday things just fine for 200-300 dollars.

Meh, I'm not a big fan of used laptops. They just don't seem to last very long. Plus this person would never go for it.