Need wireless USB "cable"

Freddieboy
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

https://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-USB-WIRELESS-Dongle-Black/dp/B001GV00ZM

I checked 4 sites and it's out of stock on newegg amazon and 2 other random stores. 

I suppose it can be done. 

I can't seem to find any solution for connecting my camera, which has a mini usb input, to my computer's regular usb input wirelessly.

Is there a way to make this happen? I was thinking if there was something like a kit including one male and one female port, each with antennas and radio hardware which you simply plug into each device?

This would need to be entirtely driverless and would have to treat the wireless connection exactly like a cable.

If there is no such device, I'll just build one myself. But in the interest of time I'll just look if someone knows how to solve this! Thanks!

Does your camera have built in bluetooth or wifi? 

If so you can use a bluetooth dongle to connect or your home wifi network. 

Just now, fpo said:

Does your camera have built in bluetooth or wifi? 

If so you can use a bluetooth dongle to connect or your home wifi network. 

No, this is an old dslr which is now being used for a school project.

I am guessing what you want to do is to like take pictures and stuff off the camera to the computer without plugging in a USB cable all the time?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Mihle said:

I am guessing what you want to do is to like take pictures and stuff off the camera to the computer without plugging in a USB cable all the time?

I want 3 things: Firstly, I want to read the accelerometer values live from the camera to an arduino. (which it supports). Secondly, I want to preview the images live as they are taken, (also supported when using a cable). Thirdly I want to be able to take pictures remotely.

Do you have an iPhone? They sell perrifferals that support your said wants. 

1 minute ago, Freddieboy said:

I want 3 things: Firstly, I want to read the accelerometer values live from the camera to an arduino. (which it supports). Secondly, I want to preview the images live as they are taken, (also supported when using a cable). Thirdly I want to be able to take pictures remotely.

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

https://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-USB-WIRELESS-Dongle-Black/dp/B001GV00ZM

I checked 4 sites and it's out of stock on newegg amazon and 2 other random stores. 

I suppose it can be done. 

This seems nice, I wonder why I couldn't find that! Now at least I know it is possible, even though I might not be able to get my hands on one, I know I can at least build one! Thanks

7 minutes ago, Freddieboy said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

sounds like someone might be making a drone

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

3 minutes ago, DeltaGames said:

https://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimted-Wireless-Device-Dongle/dp/B0025VJT5E

Maybe this? Similar to the other thing except you would have to adapt the mini usb on your camera to regular usb, then plug this in.

Seems nice but I'm a bit worried because some of the reviews on these seem to mention drivers. (No drivers of any kind can be used, it would all have to be done by the dongle itself)

1 minute ago, Shiv78 said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

sounds like someone might be making a drone

Nope guess again :P

Just now, Freddieboy said:

Seems nice but I'm a bit worried because some of the reviews on these seem to mention drivers. (No drivers of any kind can be used, it would all have to be done by the dongle itself)

Seems like your best bet at this point...

Hope this helps...

-Delta

Nope guess again :P

some kind of photography rover thingy?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, DeltaGames said:

Seems like your best bet at this point...

I'll contact them, if it does indeed use drivers I'll just build my own transmitter and receiver though this will take some extra time.

I'll contact them, if it does indeed use drivers I'll just build my own transmitter and receiver though this will take some extra time.

Good luck...

Hope this helps...

-Delta

2 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

some kind of photography rover thingy?

A camera/robot that can track your movements. Hopefully I'll be able to make it recognize your face among other people and follow you but I don't know if I have the time to make that.

11 minutes ago, Freddieboy said:

share build log. 

There were some SD cards which have built in wireless transmitters. They were designed mostly for video cameras and they worked something like this ... video camera records video and splits it in 1-2 GB segments and as soon as a segment is finished and camera starts writing the second segment, the wireless transmitter in the card starts sending the previous segment to the computer.

I suppose those cards may also send just pictures instead of movies, but I'm not sure if they work with dslr cameras.  Check reviews ?

Here's a bunch of such cards

Toshiba 32GB FlashAir III Wireless SD Memory Card, White,(PFW032U-1CCW) : http://amzn.to/2gRM9bO

Eyefi Mobi 16GB Class 10 Wi-Fi SDHC Card with 90-day Eyefi Cloud Service (Mobi-16)  http://amzn.to/2grRp95

Ez Share Wifi Sd Memory Card Adapter available for DC / DV / DSLR / DPF ,etc...  http://amzn.to/2grGgoV

ps of course, this will only work if you need one direction communication (sending data to computer)

for bi-directional communication you could for example use one of those Corning USB cables that use optical fiber to transmit data between camera and computers at longer distances.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

There were some SD cards which have built in wireless transmitters. They were designed mostly for video cameras and they worked something like this ... video camera records video and splits it in 1-2 GB segments and as soon as a segment is finished and camera starts writing the second segment, the wireless transmitter in the card starts sending the previous segment to the computer.

I suppose those cards may also send just pictures instead of movies, but I'm not sure if they work with dslr cameras.  Check reviews ?

Here's a bunch of such cards

Toshiba 32GB FlashAir III Wireless SD Memory Card, White,(PFW032U-1CCW) : http://amzn.to/2gRM9bO

Eyefi Mobi 16GB Class 10 Wi-Fi SDHC Card with 90-day Eyefi Cloud Service (Mobi-16)  http://amzn.to/2grRp95

Ez Share Wifi Sd Memory Card Adapter available for DC / DV / DSLR / DPF ,etc...  http://amzn.to/2grGgoV

That solves one of my problems but reading the camera's accelerometer and compass as well as taking pictures remotely would still not work.

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

share build log. 

I can't until it has been handed in for assessment. (about 6 months from now, though I may not get it back until next winter)

4 minutes ago, Freddieboy said:

I can't until it has been handed in for assessment. (about 6 months from now, though I may not get it back until next winter)

Either way. As long as you share something sometime. 

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

Either way. As long as you share something sometime. 

Provided everything actually works in the end, I'd like to!