Any middle ground between 6100 and 6400?

Go to solution Solved by DarkBlade2117,

You could get a lower end Z170 board to go along with the i3-6100 and flash an older BIOs to it and BCLK overclock it like I did with my Extreme4.

New build. 

My intentions: Playing mostly eSports titles; Overwatch, R6 Siege, as well as more creative games such as Planet Coaster. 

My current plans are to get a i5-6400 and get a RX480 later on as my budget is tight. However, the alternative is that I can get a i3-6100 and get the RX480 sooner.

However, how much of an issue will the less powerful i3 cause, would it be more beneficial to buy an older Haswell i5? I'm aware the 6100 has hyper-threading and therefore is a "quad core" in theory, but it's all about getting the most bang for the buck on 1150 or 1151.

Many thanks. 

Not for skylake, maybe haswell then

You could get a lower end Z170 board to go along with the i3-6100 and flash an older BIOs to it and BCLK overclock it like I did with my Extreme4.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Yeah, turns out there's not much in terms of value for Haswell, even the refresh isn't any better than getting the 6400. I'll get the 6100, I've got time to upgrade anyway haven't I.

Many thanks once again. 

I would instead consider getting the 6400 or 6500 second hand: processors are relatively safe to get second hand and could solve your budget issue without compromising much.

-------

Current Rig

-------