$350 School Build

CobbleWalker
Go to solution Solved by CobbleWalker,

I've got to go home for the day. I'll answer more posts when I get home. How's this? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JypQcc

(marked solved just so you see it)

Hey Guys,

I've been given the opportunity to build a computer for my schools classroom for $350. We're going to be 3d printing the case (a test bench) and can only use amazon links. Here's what I have so far. The programs that this computer needs to run are sketch up, programming compilers, and blender. What do you think? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dPjBGf  New parts list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JMPQcc

P.S. The computer should also be able to be overclocked. (I'm teaching a computer seminar, and it would be useful to be able to have a OC'able PC for teaching purposes.)

Thanks,

CobbleWalker

I don't think the H97 chipset would support overclocking on the G3258, although I could be wrong. You might need Z97 for that.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

2 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

I don't think the H97 chipset would support overclocking on the G3258, although I could be wrong. You might need Z97 for that.

Shoot. One sec.

I'd skip the 212 EVO and save a few pennies. The G3258 can be overclocked as far as 4.0~4.2 GHz on the stock cooler. You can also get by with an H81 board if you want--the G3258 can be overclocked on any Haswell board that supports it, regardless of chipset. Just check and make sure the BIOS will let you OC, particularly if you get an older board.

I'd put the money you save there into a HDD and a 1050 or 460, both of which can be had for the same price as that 750 Ti. You can also save a few bucks by grabbing a different PSU.

Edited by aisle9
Derp on the Newegg link

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VcQcGf

here is what I came up with. 1050 is about 45-50% faster than a 750Ti and was only a few dollars more expensive.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

2 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VcQcGf

here is what I came up with. 1050 is about 45-50% faster than a 750Ti and was only a few dollars more expensive.

You don't need a Z97 board to overclock a G3258. I've OC'ed G3258 CPUs on H81, B85 and Z97, and the best results I got came from a B85 board. The point of a G3258 is to strap it to a cheap-ass H81 board and let it fly, not to go out and spend $100 on a Z97 motherboard for it.

1 minute ago, CobbleWalker said:

I definitely cannot go over $400, thanks for the suggestion, though. 

How's this?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JMPQcc

That's better. Can you spend an extra like 4-5 dollars for a GTX 1050? It's way faster than a 750Ti.

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

try for a 1050

I understand where you coming from, and for a gaming build, I'd understand. But realistically, this computer doesn't need to do anything to complicated. I think it would be better to get a better SSD instead. 

Just now, CobbleWalker said:

I understand where you coming from, and for a gaming build, I'd understand. But realistically, this computer doesn't need to do anything to complicated. I think it would be better to get a better SSD instead. 

but it's cheaper

Here's my attempt:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($75.44 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus H81M-K Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($58.83 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($58.10 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($47.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 460 2GB Video Card  ($107.33 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $387.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-01 14:37 EST-0500

Edited by aisle9
Changed for a better SSD

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I'd skip the 212 EVO and save a few pennies. The G3258 can be overclocked as far as 4.0~4.2 GHz on the stock cooler. You can also get by with an H81 board if you want--the G3258 can be overclocked on any Haswell board that supports it, regardless of chipset. Just check and make sure the BIOS will let you OC, particularly if you get an older board.

I'd put the money you save there into a HDD and a 1050 or 460, both of which can be had for the same price as that 750 Ti. You can also save a few bucks by grabbing a different PSU.

How's this parts list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JMPQcc

Changed the board. I want to stick with SeaSonic because I'd trust their power supplies with my life. I'm not sure realistically the department needs a 1050. I might be better just to save some money and keep IT happy :)

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

but it's cheaper

Your computer goes over $400. I need to stay bellow 400 and preferably around 350.

Your computer goes over $400. I need to stay bellow 400 and preferably around 350.

ok then  :(

Changed the board. I want to stick with SeaSonic because I'd trust their power supplies with my life. I'm not sure realistically the department needs a 1050. I might be better just to save some money and keep IT happy :)

That's a more expensive, lower-capacity PSU. EVGA PSUs (aside from the bottom end 400W unit) are fine for what you're doing. I have two of that exact model and have yet to have a problem with them. You still don't need an aftermarket cooler, but if you want one, hey, why not a Cryorig, right? That SSD is tiny and, honestly, kinda weak. The RX460 I suggested outperforms a 750 Ti and is cheaper than the one you've linked here. Is something being lost in translation by PCPP? The rig I suggested would cost about $387, the one you linked here is $438, and you need to stay below $400?

What are you doing for a case, btw?

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

ok then  :(

Thanks for the help, I'm currently working to squeeze in that 1050.  

Thanks for the help, I'm currently working to squeeze in that 1050.  

How is this?

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($66.49 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ECS H81H3-I/HDMI (V1.0) Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($38.49 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Mini Video Card  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $368.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-01 14:45 EST-0500

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Here's my attempt:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($75.44 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus H81M-K Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($58.83 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($58.10 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($47.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 460 2GB Video Card  ($107.33 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $387.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-01 14:37 EST-0500

The PSU is tier 6

8 minutes ago, CobbleWalker said:

I'd get this but just spend the extra $2 on an RX 460, also get the people knowing that AMD exist :)

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That's a more expensive, lower-capacity PSU. EVGA PSUs (aside from the bottom end 400W unit) are fine for what you're doing. I have two of that exact model and have yet to have a problem with them. You still don't need an aftermarket cooler, but if you want one, hey, why not a Cryorig, right? That SSD is tiny and, honestly, kinda weak. The RX460 I suggested outperforms a 750 Ti and is cheaper than the one you've linked here. Is something being lost in translation by PCPP? The rig I suggested would cost about $387, the one you linked here is $438, and you need to stay below $400?

What are you doing for a case, btw?

I forgot to mention the school has HDDs i can trow in there for extra storage, the SSD will be a boot drive. As for the price, I've created a new parts list based on suggestions. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JMPQcc If the 460 is the same price as the 460 then I'l replace it, my b. We're trying to 3D print the case. It's going to be a test bench. I've got a few friends working on it.

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I'd get this but just spend the extra $2 on an RX 460, also get the people knowing that AMD exist :)

I love AMD, I messed up and thought it was more expensive. My bad. Will fix. 

Yes, I know, and unless you're planning on stressing it to the max, running it at high temperatures and constantly abusing it, Tier 6 is not the end of the world. If the price is right and you're looking for a light to medium-duty rig, the EVGA units are good enough. Like I said, I'm using two. Would I strap one into a rig with my 4790K and 1070? Hell no. Hellllllz no. Would I put one in a rig with a G3258 and a 750 Ti? Why yes, I would, and I did for almost a year right up until swapping out a few parts and selling the PC.

I'm not going to complain if you want to overspend on a nicer PSU than you need, but just keep in your back pocket the idea that you can save a few bucks on a light-duty, low power rig (like yours) by using a cheaper tier 5/tier 6 PSU. Tier 7 and below are the "do not touch" units. Everything from tiers 1-6 has a purpose in life and a build suited for it.

I love AMD, I messed up and thought it was more expensive. My bad. Will fix. 

Just saying I took a Computer Diagnostic and Repair class this semester and the Prof never mentioned AMD until about 3 of us asked him about it. One kid didn't even know AMD existed...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)