Buy a broken phone?

bgibbz

A friend of mine found an iPhone 6s on the ground that was absolutely trashed. The metal back and sides are in good condition, no obvious dents or scratches, but the screen is absolutely smashed to bits and the home button is falling out, though the cable doesn't seem to be damaged. The phone powers on ( if I press the power button some lines appear across the screen but no display). My friend offered to sell it to me for 80$ if I wanted to try and fix it and resell it. While I'm confident I can fix it (I have fixed iPhone screen before) I wanted to be sure I can unlock the phone. I obviously don't have the passwords or anything, as the phone was found on the ground. Is there a way I would be able to reset it? Is the phone worth the 80$ plus the cost of parts? I'm looking to make at least 30$ in order for this to be worth my effort. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

If your friend just "found" an iphone you should turn it into someone so they can try to track down the owner of it. There could be data on it they want.

It might be considering selling stolen goods otherwise.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

45 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

If your friend just "found" an iphone you should turn it into someone so they can try to track down the owner of it. There could be data on it they want.

It might be considering selling stolen goods otherwise.

By found I mean someone in his gym locker room accidentally smashed it and didn't want it. I have no idea why someone wouldn't keep the phone, but I heard about it from like 3 different people. Apparently the kid genuinely wanted to throw it out. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

By found I mean someone in his gym locker room accidentally smashed it and didn't want it. I have no idea why someone wouldn't keep the phone, but I heard about it from like 3 different people. Apparently the kid genuinely wanted to throw it out. 

Well you can't unlock it without the right password, best would be to wipe it completely.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

With a new oem display about $100, you are looking at trying to get $210 for it. Which would be about the used value of a beatup iphone s6.

You are investing about $180 to try to make $30-$50, it isn't really worth it.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

15 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Well you can't unlock it without the right password, best would be to wipe it completely.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

With a new oem display about $100, you are looking at trying to get $210 for it. Which would be about the used value of a beatup iphone s6.

You are investing about $180 to try to make $30-$50, it isn't really worth it.

Ok, thanks. Definitely did not want to unlock it, just wanted to wipe it. Il see if I can get the person to sell it to me for less. Thanks for your help!