Should I Wait For Zen?

I just wanted to know if i should wait for Zen.

Im sick of using my Intel Pentium G3258 and was hping to buy a Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 (4Core 8 Thread) 3.2Ghz

And its almost christmas... But then i got told zen would be out soon and for almost the same price i could get a 8 Core 16 Thread 4.0Ghz+ CPU from AMD....

Should i sell my MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard + My DDR3 1600Mhz Ram (And maybe also my Pentium) And replace it with a cheap ($100-$150AUD) FM or AM 4 mobo, then also buy 8GB of DDR4 Ram and that new CPU.... 

(P.S i have a Watercooler so i was thinking that i could OC the new chip to like 4.5Ghz while i cant OC that Xeon at all so the water cooler i have would be a waste)

6 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

I just wanted to know if i should wait for Zen.

you will not have to wait long but as you said you will have to wait through the Xmas holidays. I would wait for the end of season or boxing day sales, Zen won't be out but you might score a good deal

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Yes, wait for Zen, great idea. Great price and performance. If you can wait just a liiiitle bit more. Gotta get dem more cores, which intel doesn't have at the price points.

Personally I'm waiting, I have an old Fx-6300 which really shows its age.

-Crafting

Main Rig: CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 GPU: GTX 1070 MSI Armor OC RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz CASE: Cooler Master Storm Trooper SSD: Samsung 850 250GB HDD: 2TB Seagate Peripherals: Monitor: 27'' QHD 144Hz Acer XF270HUA Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Brown)

You shouldn't be paying full price for such an old chip. The Xeon is the cheaper way to go, for sure, especially since you already have the RAM etc.

AM4 stuff isn't out yet, so you can't buy anything for it.

If you want to wait, you can, but I figure it'll be 4ish months until we see stuff hit shelves. Is that worth it to you?

4 minutes ago, Crafting said:

Yes, wait for Zen, great idea. Great price and performance. If you can wait just a liiiitle bit more. Gotta get dem more cores, which intel doesn't have at the price points.

-Crafting

Allegedly.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

You shouldn't be paying full price for such an old chip. The Xeon is the cheaper way to go, for sure, especially since you already have the RAM etc.

If you want to wait, you can, but I figure it'll be 4ish months until we see stuff hit shelves. Is that worth it to you?

Allegedly.

4 Months.....

More like 2

Also waiting 4 months is worth it when ill be using it for 5 years

6 minutes ago, Crafting said:

-Crafting

not necciseraly tbh, we dont have benchmarks yet and we know to little to know what they will preform like. we have lots of leeks and spekulations but in the end those arent solid informaton, and could all just be made up.

i wouldent wait, the Xeon will be cheaper and will still be good but do you need the preformance of the Xeon? you could get an I5 4690K and a better GPU instead, but of the Xeon is cheaper then that then the Xeon is  a solid pick

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If you waited that long, at least wait those few more weeks for AMD release.

I hope that AMD will create some CPU that can acctually go head to head with i7 from intel.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Allegedly.

Zen is also much more powerful and new. Sure it is cheaper than the Zen, but it's older, slower and has no support for the new technology we have now. Zen will launch within too long (january, february) which is too close, to just buy stuff right away, waiting is key here, and you should be happy that you waited. Zen has proven itself.

-Crafting

Main Rig: CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 GPU: GTX 1070 MSI Armor OC RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz CASE: Cooler Master Storm Trooper SSD: Samsung 850 250GB HDD: 2TB Seagate Peripherals: Monitor: 27'' QHD 144Hz Acer XF270HUA Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Brown)

11 minutes ago, Crafting said:

Zen is also much more powerful and new. Sure it is cheaper than the Zen, but it's older, slower and has no support for the new technology we have now. Zen will launch within too long (january, february) which is too close, to just buy stuff right away, waiting is key here, and you should be happy that you waited. Zen has proven itself.

-Crafting

How has Zen proven itself when it's not even released? There are no proper benchmarks conducted by third-party websites/establishments out yet and somehow you already say that it's good? This sort of hype/expectation only sets people up for disappointment.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

How has Zen proven itself when it's not even released? There are no proper benchmarks conducted by third-party websites/establishments out yet and somehow you already say it's good? This sort of hype/expectation only sets people up for failure.

1) I smell some salt in the air ^

2) If this is just all "hype" then i can always just use that Xeon..... I was jus asking if it is what it was rumoured to be then should i ?

6 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

1) I smell some salt in the air ^

2) If this is just all "hype" then i can always just use that Xeon..... I was jus asking if it is what it was rumoured to be then should i ?

1) It's not salt, it's the truth. It happened with Bulldozer, it happened with Fiji, it happened with Polaris and I guarantee it will happen again with Zen. AMD's biggest opponent has always been the hype preceding the release of their products.

2) You could... I'm not disputing the fact that you should wait for Summit Ridge. But what needs to be said is that you should always wait for benchmarks first and not make a purchase decision off rumours with no actual credibility.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

How has Zen proven itself when it's not even released? There are no proper benchmarks conducted by third-party websites/establishments out yet and somehow you already say it's good? This sort of hype/expectation only sets people up for failure.

Well, nothing has been checked completely by "reviewers" and such. But the benchmark that they showed off almost half a year ago, really shows, that the AMD "Zen" can beat an I7-6900K at the same GHz. Which just shows, that AMD is "up there" and not joking around those "40%" IPC increase. This is serious. With the recent delidding of the Zen CPU with great conduction, vs the Intel "TIM" which is evidently worse, it shows even more, that AMD cares about temperature, and not just having an "ok" product, maybe this is because of the still hotter chips, but they are not cheaping out on their products.

I see an interesting future, with Intel firing and not expanding, and AMD finally looking good, I'm looking out to a great year for future consumer products!

-Crafting

Get the Xeon now and when Zen launch you have the choice of whether to upgrade or not 

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

it happened with Polaris

I have an XFX RX480 8GB and it was very cheap, very fast, and very good for the price.

It lived up to the hypein my opinion and can easily beat the GTX1060 when Vulcan is enabled i many games (not to say the 1060 is a bad card)

26 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

not necciseraly tbh, we dont have benchmarks yet and we know to little to know what they will preform like. we have lots of leeks and spekulations but in the end those arent solid informaton, and could all just be made up.

i wouldent wait, the Xeon will be cheaper and will still be good but do you need the preformance of the Xeon? you could get an I5 4690K and a better GPU instead, but of the Xeon is cheaper then that then the Xeon is  a solid pick

I dont need a ned GPU because i only game at 2560x1080p Ultra and my card gets me 50-90FPS

4 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

I have an XFX RX480 8GB and it was very cheap, very fast, and very good for the price.

It lived up to the hypein my opinion and can easily beat the GTX1060 when Vulcan is enabled i many games (not to say the 1060 is a bad card)

And even if the Zen doesn't beat the next 7 gen Intel, it will still be cheaper, which accomodates for it. :)

So Zen will still be looking very attractive. But waiting for the different variations of the Zen is a great idea!

-Crafting

8 minutes ago, Crafting said:

Well, nothing has been checked completely by "reviewers" and such. But the benchmark that they showed off almost half a year ago, really shows, that the AMD "Zen" can beat an I7-6900K at the same GHz. Which just shows, that AMD is "up there" and not joking around those "40%" IPC increase. This is serious. With the recent delidding of the Zen CPU with great conduction, vs the Intel "TIM" which is evidently worse, it shows even more, that AMD cares about temperature, and not just having an "ok" product, maybe this is because of the still hotter chips, but they are not cheaping out on their products.

I see an interesting future, with Intel firing and not expanding, and AMD finally looking good, I'm looking out to a great year for future consumer products!

-Crafting

Here's a solid article by AnandTech that showcases why you shouldn't completely trust that benchmark... aside from the common logic to never view AMD's own benchmarks as indicative of actual performance. There's bound to be some sort of bias involved: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10585/unpacking-amds-zen-benchmark-is-zen-actually-2-faster-than-broadwell

Of course, I agree with you on that last point. If Zen is good, next year should certainly be a big win for us consumers.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

Ah, but some people expected R9 390X to R9 Fury levels of performance... some thought that it'd be the GTX 1070 killer... some thought that two in Crossfire would destroy a GTX 1080 in every game (spoiler alert: they don't)... that goes to show that people have varying levels of expectations.

I have little reason to doubt that Zen will be a big step up from AMD's past offerings... but just keep your expectations low is all that I'm saying.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, DisconnectedYT said:

I dont need a ned GPU because i only game at 2560x1080p Ultra and my card gets me 50-90FPS

then the Xeon is a great pick :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016