PC crashing under heavy load, probably cpu overheating, need HELP!!

Hi,

first of all specs:

i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz stock + stock cooler

16 gb ram,

gtx 1060 3gb,

some antec power supply(dont know wich exactly/would need to take it out to see),

gigabyte motherboard(pci 2.0x16!!!!).

So i put in the 1060 a few weeks ago and it worked pretty well .. the problem is that the cpu is now bottlenecking brutally and i knew that before so dont give me shit ;)

When im gaming + watching something on second monitor or just some heavy load stuff... my cpu is under 100% load all 4 cores + the temp is at 99° all cores (checked with coretemp).

the thing that happened is that the pc just crashed when these things occured .. but rather randomly. I was able to just restart the pc after the crash and there was no safeboot or anything .. in the windows protocols was "only" a critical kernel error, but no further information why it crashed. The problem wasnt there before i changed the gpu .. the cpu wasnt at 100% before for a longer time though.

So my question now is, where the problem is.

1. Is it the overheating cpu, which then automaticly shuts down the pc to prevent damage.

2. could it be the power supply having too less power to deliver to the graphics card or something.(unlikely because it crashed while watching 2 streams and sdoing some other shit-->> 100 % load . without any game so gpu minimal use)

3. Any other reason u guys know?

Thanks in advance for any answer guys:)

I guess is the PSU. Do you know that PSU's wattage? Age? Getting that model might be worth it.

Computers r fun

Problem origin: Number 1. - it just shuts down. That's what happens when the CPU is too hot.
Solution: ffs buy a decent cooler, running stock is not allowed as a LTT forum member !

I had a problem like that recently, after testing every single component and came to the conclusion it was my PSU. When I got ia new from corsair, everything worked fine. So it might be your cpu overheating as 99% is quite high but the PSU is also an option. I would first try to change the thermal paste to see if that does the trick and then move on to further troubleshooting.

4 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

Problem origin: Number 1. - it just shuts down. That's what happens when the CPU is too hot.
Solution: ffs buy a decent cooler, running stock is not allowed as a LTT forum member !

But I have a laptop :P 

i like trains 🙂

run

1.cpu-z+prime95 

and

2.gpu-z+furmark

will tell you which is overheating

So, I would first go with replacing the thermal paste, see if that fixes it. Then try a different cooler instead of the stock. If the problem still isn't fixed, then its the PSU, and you will need to replace it. If that still doesn't work, then its most likely your CPU just unable to keep up with the GPU and you would have to replace it.

Once again, what wattage is your PSU, and its probably worth getting the model.

Computers r fun

Thanks for all the answers

1. I replaced the thermal paste 2 month ago and cleaned the whole pc completly(as far as its possible). Didn't help.

2. Ye i know stock cooler is shit but i built this pc like 6 years ago and didnt know anything about pcs there.

3. I'll check the psu model and tell u

I think ill just try to replace part after part .. first cooler.. then psu .. and if that doesnt help .. motherboard/cpu/ram.

Ah and btw thats my 2nd pc .. my first one is completly new .. so i dont want to spent too much money on that one (traveling between 2 locations often)