Is my i5 2500k and non-premium RAM Bottlenecking my system?

Go to solution Solved by DunePilot,
29 minutes ago, Sphio said:

Monitor: Acer predator X34A 

iI'll probably upgrade the 1060 to a 1080 or a 1080ti when it comes out in order to utilize the display properly.

With a 1060 no not really.... and your ram is definitely not a bottleneck. As long as you can run near 1600 you have plenty of through put on DDR3, its often easier to tighten timings on DDR3 than to overclock it as well. My old 1366 rig I could tighten my cas 9 sticks to cas 7 timings all day but the system absolutely would refuse to boot with ram in the 1800s. If anything you can attempt to tighten timings but as long as your sticks are 1600 Cas 9 or better you are plenty ok.

Your monitor should last you for years as a very nice setup I would suggest doing a completely new build in a year or two on the LGA 2066 platform when it comes out and when HBM2 becomes standard on GPUs and 3D X Point is hitting the mainstream market. Since you just picked up a 1060 recently which fits perfect with your 2500k I would say just wait and hold off for now unless your money is burning a hole in your pocket.

Hey fellow nerds and geekers.

It's been a while since i upgraded my i5 2500k CPU and I'm wondering whether or not i should look into getting a new one if it's a noticeable bottleneck.  The RAM is also not of the pricey variety, so i'm wondering if i should look into upgrading that as well.

My current setup is: 
MSi Gaming X GTX1060
Intel i5 2500k processor OCd to 4,6Ghz
Corsair 16GB DD3 XMS3 1600MHZ (4x4gb)
ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 P67 S-1155 ATX

iI'll probably upgrade the 1060 to a 1080 or a 1080ti when it comes out in order to utilize the display properly.

PC: 4k screen, 3080ti and 5900x. 32gb ram @ 3600mhz. 850w psu

CPU is still reasonably powerful, and probably pretty dam good with a decent oc like that. Run afterburner and record the cpu and gpu usage playing a few games to work out what the week point in your system is. If your not oc'ing the ram or plan to, there isn't much point upgrading it if it's all working good, better ram which is either faster or with tighter timings will perform better, most games wont really care, some will. The difference will be hard to notice.

GPU is probably the weak factor, but do the testing yourself, if only to get a better understanding of how your system operates.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Nope (maybe in a few very CPU demanding titles , ARMA III for example) for a 1060 you are fine.

For a 1080 you should at least have a i7 4790K and even this one can be bottleneck on 1080p a bit (which doesn't make sense when you have a 1080 unless you are a crazy fps junky).

So basicly as soon as you go for the 1080(Ti) you should pick a late i7 with it (6700K or new Gen 7700k?), I mean if you go that far that you pick a 1080 you more or less have to go for a beefy as possible CPU, too.

I mean perf/$ can't be the goal whatever you combine with a 1080(Ti) so it must be the best possible what you aim for, right? =>i7 6700K or 7700K(?)

And you should at least pick a 1440p (ultrawide if you like it) or 4K monitor with a 1080 (Ti) otherwise it's more or less a waste of money.

29 minutes ago, Sphio said:

With a 1060 no not really.... and your ram is definitely not a bottleneck. As long as you can run near 1600 you have plenty of through put on DDR3, its often easier to tighten timings on DDR3 than to overclock it as well. My old 1366 rig I could tighten my cas 9 sticks to cas 7 timings all day but the system absolutely would refuse to boot with ram in the 1800s. If anything you can attempt to tighten timings but as long as your sticks are 1600 Cas 9 or better you are plenty ok.

Your monitor should last you for years as a very nice setup I would suggest doing a completely new build in a year or two on the LGA 2066 platform when it comes out and when HBM2 becomes standard on GPUs and 3D X Point is hitting the mainstream market. Since you just picked up a 1060 recently which fits perfect with your 2500k I would say just wait and hold off for now unless your money is burning a hole in your pocket.