Fiber line and router recommendation

*username*
Go to solution Solved by brwainer,

Any router you buy will be able to support PPPoE (I have never head of PPoE but I'm 99% sure you mean PPPoE because that's what the windows dialup tool supports).

The type of setup you are talking about where you just plug in an ethernet and it works is DHCP. Typically cable modems provide this, while DSL modems use PPPoE. The difference is that with DHCP, the provider has to register the modem to your account, while with PPPoE you have to log in with the username and password they provide. One isn't any better or worse than the other. All routers will use DHCP on the LAN side, regardless of what is being used on the WAN side.

I've recently moved to Japan and just setup an internet contract.

Currently I'm getting fiber from the wall and it goes into a GEPON ONU that NTT (line supplier) gave me.

For reference it looks like this one:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCMDV2D2ojJT0NhZm0mSGiUCYF9X_iN_GxfD91DVSnN7TvxA8

From what I understand this acts as a modem.

From there I just use the Ethernet out to connect my PC.

I've never had fiber before so I'm a little confused, right now to connect I have to use Windows 10's dial-up interface for a PPoE connection.

Is there no way for it to work like ADSL ones where you just plug in the Ethernet cable and it works(after you configure it once)?

Since my laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port I've bought some janky USB to Ethernet adapter, is that the cause?

Since I want to connect more than a single Ethernet port allows me, I'm in the market for a wireless router, would the setup be equivalent to an ADSL line?

Finally, do you guys have recommendations for routers?

I was looking at the following:

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 ~100$

ASUS RT-AC68U ~150$

TP-Link Archer C7 ~100$

All seem somewhat popular, would I go wrong with any of these?

Thank you in advance.

Netgear is my recommendation from the 3 you have listed. 

Magical Pineapples

4 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

For the sake of curiosity, could you please post a speedtest? ^^

I'm actually on my phone right now, but I got around 80Mbps down / 95Mbps up as of yesterday.

You'd have to wait around 20h for an actual speedtest.

I'm pretty sure any router can do what you are asking for.

You would just need to set up settings for PPoE on router, and then you can just plug as many devices as you want and never bother with those settings ever again.

Same goes over Wi-Fi ofcorse.

You wouldn't go wrong with any of mentioned routers. All are just fine. Some have features that other doesn't and via verse.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Any router you buy will be able to support PPPoE (I have never head of PPoE but I'm 99% sure you mean PPPoE because that's what the windows dialup tool supports).

The type of setup you are talking about where you just plug in an ethernet and it works is DHCP. Typically cable modems provide this, while DSL modems use PPPoE. The difference is that with DHCP, the provider has to register the modem to your account, while with PPPoE you have to log in with the username and password they provide. One isn't any better or worse than the other. All routers will use DHCP on the LAN side, regardless of what is being used on the WAN side.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: