This is so me! "The Dangers of Photography Addiction"

The Dangers of Photography Addiction

Photography is dangerous. Just editing a photo and getting OK results is enough to get you hooked.

Then you get an entry-level DSLR. And a cheap 50mm lens and play with depth of field. And you need a tripod. And an extra battery. And memory cards. And a zoom lens. And a remote. And a flash.

Then you try a friend’s mid-level camera. Then you get a mid-level camera. And now you think what’s really holding you back are your lenses. You start looking at good glass and realize there is no sense investing in lenses that don’t work on full frame cameras, just in case you make the jump...

[souce: PetaPixel]

First, photography was a hobby, something I do for fun as a kid.  It became I do because I enjoy doing it.  Then it resulted in something I do part-time.  Finally it's something I do for a living.  Similarly with cinematography.  And now I think I've invested in at least several thousands of dollars of photo and video camera gear and accessories, and I am going to be spending a few thousand more in the coming weeks.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

5 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

First, photography was a hobby, something I do for fun as a kid.  It became I do because I enjoy doing it.  Then it resulted in something I do part-time.  Finally it's something I do for a living.  Similarly with cinematography.  And now I think I've invested in at least several thousands of dollars of photo and video camera gear and accessories, and I am going to be spending a few thousand more in the coming weeks.

Not the same story. My entry level DSLR camera is lying around somewhere in my room, I sure do love taking some good pics from time to time but I wont need a higher tier for my needs.

On 11/29/2016 at 7:00 AM, Alaa said:

Not the same story. My entry level DSLR camera is lying around somewhere in my room, I sure do love taking some good pics from time to time but I wont need a higher tier for my needs.

makes a ton of sense.

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

1 minute ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

makes a ton of sense.

sarcasm? I'm tired I cant even English

@Alaa

On 11/29/2016 at 7:07 AM, AmbarChakrabarti said:

I sure do love taking some good pics from time to time but I wont need a higher tier for my needs.

This statement makes sense

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

2 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

I know what i can afford and what I can't afford. i can somewhat distinguish my needs from my greed. But alas, everything seems like greed. Even just a little bit of food.

Well I can afford anything I want but my parents taught me not to buy stuff just because I wanted to at the time and not waste money on stuff I will throw away eventually so when purchasing new stuff I tend to study the situation.

15 minutes ago, Alaa said:

And that's why you're an amateur photographer, at best.

3 minutes ago, Alaa said:

Well I can afford anything I want but my parents taught me not to buy stuff just because I wanted to at the time and not waste money on stuff I will throw away eventually so when purchasing new stuff I tend to study the situation.

Old cameras/used cameras can be sold or given away.  Cameras are rarely ever thrown away unless they are disposable, and some disposable cameras can be reused if one is willing to open it up and insert a new roll of film.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I do belive that you can do a lot of photography with a entry level body. However I have also come to realise its fun to be have the creative abilities better and more expensive lenses and bodies offer, and other accesories (to a certain degree). I have lots of things I would like to get but in reality I can at the moment only afford a few of them. Either an expensive lens, or a lens and a sturdy tripod or a new body. 

Main problem is finding a way to start earning money. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

3 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

I do belive that you can do a lot of photography with a entry level body. However I have also come to realise its fun to be have the creative abilities better and more expensive lenses and bodies offer, and other accesories (to a certain degree). I have lots of things I would like to get but in reality I can at the moment only afford a few of them. Either an expensive lens, or a lens and a sturdy tripod or a new body. 

Main problem is finding a way to start earning money. 

Maybe you just need a 3D printer.

http://petapixel.com/2016/11/24/photographer-3d-printed-lens-photos-fantastic/

On 11/29/2016 at 2:53 PM, AkiraDaarkst said:

I'm also approaching that sort of level.  GAS is hard to resist and I like playing with cool gear.  I haven't reached your level yet of working as a professional but I enjoy it so much and its fun.

A good photographer knows where to focus the lens, a bad photographer focuses on the wrong things.  A good photographer goes out to the world and tries to create something new, a lazy wannabe photographer goes to a museum to take photos of things people have photographed before. - Good Photography

4 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Ah read about that one on Fstoppers. Tbh though, I have been wanting to get a 3D printer too as I have been studing CAD for some time but I can't say those are cheap either. 

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but after getting all this more expensive gear I still find myself enjoying my older a6000 with kit lens. There's just something about a light cheap camera that's fun. Maybe it's also the portability.

23 hours ago, thekillergazebo said:

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but after getting all this more expensive gear I still find myself enjoying my older a6000 with kit lens. There's just something about a light cheap camera that's fun. Maybe it's also the portability.

"Cheap", well I guess everything is relative. I actually plan to buy the A6000 at the end of this year as I still find the A6300 a bit too expensive and if I had the ability to afford a A6300 I would probably just save a few hundred more and get the A7ii to get into fullframe. 

4 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

"Cheap", well I guess everything is relative. I actually plan to buy the A6000 at the end of this year as I still find the A6300 a bit too expensive and if I had the ability to afford a A6300 I would probably just save a few hundred more and get the A7ii to get into fullframe. 

Yeah some things like that I guess are relative, but it is a great camera and I do enjoy it a lot so I'm sure you will love it. Eh full frame is nice an all but the portability of the a6000 makes it so you will bring it with you more 

11 hours ago, thekillergazebo said:

Yeah some things like that I guess are relative, but it is a great camera and I do enjoy it a lot so I'm sure you will love it. Eh full frame is nice an all but the portability of the a6000 makes it so you will bring it with you more 

Yea I love the portability of it. I actually took the opportunity to feel on the A7 series when I was and looked at the A6000 a few weeks back. It sure is larger but its still a very small body compared to a dslr in that price range. But yea I think I will settle for a A6000 for starters and see where it goes after that. I think it may be more worth investing in good glass as the Zeiss 16-70 f/4 later on instead of upgrading the body when I have a A6000. 

14 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Yea I love the portability of it. I actually took the opportunity to feel on the A7 series when I was and looked at the A6000 a few weeks back. It sure is larger but its still a very small body compared to a dslr in that price range. But yea I think I will settle for a A6000 for starters and see where it goes after that. I think it may be more worth investing in good glass as the Zeiss 16-70 f/4 later on instead of upgrading the body when I have a A6000. 

Yeah the a6000 is great. You are only missing a few feature from the a6300 but I don't consider it a big deal. The only big difference that I notice is the viewfinder is better in the a6300. Glass makes a big difference for sure, but unless you care about ultra portable I wouldn't get the 16-70. The 18-105 is just as sharp and is half the price. The 16-70 I tested out and was going to buy, but the only thing stopping me was there was one soft corner. I googled it and it seems like that lens is known to have that issue on some that come from th factory. So for me the extra length and not having to deal with a chance of getting a bad lens was worth going with the 18-105. Plus lets not forget it's half the price. The money you save you can get the 50mm 1.8 or the sigma 30mm f1.4. 

3 hours ago, thekillergazebo said:

Yeah the a6000 is great. You are only missing a few feature from the a6300 but I don't consider it a big deal. The only big difference that I notice is the viewfinder is better in the a6300. Glass makes a big difference for sure, but unless you care about ultra portable I wouldn't get the 16-70. The 18-105 is just as sharp and is half the price. The 16-70 I tested out and was going to buy, but the only thing stopping me was there was one soft corner. I googled it and it seems like that lens is known to have that issue on some that come from th factory. So for me the extra length and not having to deal with a chance of getting a bad lens was worth going with the 18-105. Plus lets not forget it's half the price. The money you save you can get the 50mm 1.8 or the sigma 30mm f1.4. 

Ah did not know that. Though most Zeiss glass was good quality wise, or well it probably aint bad but if the 18-105 is similar that is a better deal. And I've heard a lot of good about the Sigma 30mm. You have any opinions on the 35 1.8? 

48 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Ah did not know that. Though most Zeiss glass was good quality wise, or well it probably aint bad but if the 18-105 is similar that is a better deal. And I've heard a lot of good about the Sigma 30mm. You have any opinions on the 35 1.8? 

The 35mm and 50mm f1.8 are the same build quality and perform the same in sharpness. I had both, but the 35mm is over priced in my opinion. I think the main reason is sells for more is it's around the range of a 50mm after the crop factor is applied and is more used to what people want to carry around. Personally I would go for the sigma 30mm over the song 35mm. That being said I do love the 50mm, but I'm tempted to get a canon 50mm 1.2 fd mount and adapt it to the Sony and use a speed booster. I saw a local guy use a similar set up and he was reporting it acts like a 75mm with f0.92. His photos bokeh was amazing so for 400 I might just have to get that. All manual focus, but in a Sony that's never any trouble.

3 hours ago, thekillergazebo said:

The 35mm and 50mm f1.8 are the same build quality and perform the same in sharpness. I had both, but the 35mm is over priced in my opinion. I think the main reason is sells for more is it's around the range of a 50mm after the crop factor is applied and is more used to what people want to carry around. Personally I would go for the sigma 30mm over the song 35mm. That being said I do love the 50mm, but I'm tempted to get a canon 50mm 1.2 fd mount and adapt it to the Sony and use a speed booster. I saw a local guy use a similar set up and he was reporting it acts like a 75mm with f0.92. His photos bokeh was amazing so for 400 I might just have to get that. All manual focus, but in a Sony that's never any trouble.

Ah, yea I have a Nikon 50 1.8 I use sometimes. Its not too bad to focus after you get used to it. However, manual focus 1.8 is waay harder than pulling of a 2.8 so I can just imagine the 1.2's super slim focusing depth may take some getting used to. The sigma 30mm is however very tempting. 

I do one folder called offload. Under that is the year, under that is the month, and then the date. And just sync that with lightroom.

2 hours ago, ScaryFatKidGT said:

My issue is organizing and keeping track of all the files

1 hour ago, thekillergazebo said:

I do one folder called offload. Under that is the year, under that is the month, and then the date. And just sync that with lightroom.

I have presets already made in Lightroom for offloading photos from a memory card and same in Prelude for video files.  Why do stuff manually when these two tools have nice features built-in.

Hmmm sounds familair.

how about a ND filter? wait that also needs this mount, owh let's not forget a ring for my other lens, now I think of it a graduated filter is also nice to have.

I feel the pain, especially my wallet that already cries at the thought of it.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 hour ago, Bsmith said:

Hmmm sounds familair.

how about a ND filter? wait that also needs this mount, owh let's not forget a ring for my other lens, now I think of it a graduated filter is also nice to have.

I feel the pain, especially my wallet that already cries at the thought of it.

Yep, a couple of months ago I bought an external field monitor, then I thought I would like to have a monitor with a recorder also, and then a cage for the monitor, and then a wireless transmission system, spare batteries, etc.   Ended up spending nearly $10K in a matter of 2 months.