Xbox One or PS4 controller?

Alaa

I want to buy a controller for my Windows 10 PC, I have the money to buy basically any controller in my mind but I wanna save for the Winter Sale. So should I buy an Xbox One controller or try and get a used PS4 controller and set it up. (I'm okay with both, I played on both consoles before and I'm comfortable using both but the compatibility issues are holding me back)

which games are you playing?

depend on the games you play pick the matching controller

Final Fantasy seems to play better with the PS4 controller

Games like Gears of Wars i feel the Xbox One controller is better

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Xbone controllers seem to have more support on Windows, as Microsoft actually has official drivers for it and Windows 10 supports them natively.

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

Could you explain how?

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

which games are you playing?

depend on the games you play pick the matching controller

The Witcher

Assassins Creed

FPS games

Rocket League

Tomb Raider etc...

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Xbone controllers seem to have more support on Windows, as Microsoft actually has official drivers for it and Windows 10 supports them natively.

Could you explain how?

That's what I was thinking, not much can go wrong with a supported controller

Just now, Kloaked said:

Could you explain how?

it kinda my feel.

since Final Fantasy has always been Sony only game

Gear of War i played on Xbox 360 era and it easier

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

8 minutes ago, Alaa said:

I want to buy a controller for my Windows 10 PC, I have the money to buy basically any controller in my mind but I wanna save for the Winter Sale. So should I buy an Xbox One controller or try and get a used PS4 controller and set it up. (I'm okay with both, I played on both consoles before and I'm comfortable using both but the compatibility issues are holding me back)

i have an xbox one v2 controller and the bluetooth functionality is not great, if you want that one you should get the appropriate usb dongle for it which costs extra. the xbox one controllers also don't have a battery pack included, you pay another 20 bucks for that on top of the 20 bucks you might pay on the usb dongle. i just bought eneloop rechargable battery's because i get 4 battery's for 30 bucks so its just plain cheaper and they have a higher Mah rating i believe. you can also only connect 1 xbox one v2 controller via bluetooth, you need the usb dongle for multiplayer. i do generally really like my controller but i bought it on sale for 30 bucks. my whole setup (controller, dongle, battery's and battery charger) cost me about 80 euros so 85 dollars. i find that a pretty heavy investment, especially since the controller was 40% off.

edit: why is the Bluetooth functionality not great? because nothing detects it beyond windows itself. steam doesn't work with bluetooth for me, nor any of my controller supported games. i wanted to play games with my girlfriend anyways so i decided to shell out some extra cash for the usb dongle and just be done with it. you also need the usb dongle to update your controller i believe, but i'm not 100% sure of that.

2 minutes ago, Alaa said:

The Witcher

Assassins Creed

FPS games

Rocket League

Tomb Raider etc...

the game you play will need more the joystick for movement

so one point to the Xbox controller

1 minute ago, tlink said:

i have an xbox one v2 controller and the bluetooth functionality is not great, if you want that one you should get the appropriate usb dongle for it which costs extra. the xbox one controllers also don't have a battery pack included, you pay another 20 bucks for that on top of the 20 bucks you might pay on the usb dongle. i just bought eneloop rechargable battery's because i get 4 battery's for 30 bucks so its just plain cheaper and they have a higher Mah rating i believe. you can also only connect 1 xbox one v2 controller via bluetooth, you need the usb dongle for multiplayer. i do generally really like my controller but i bought it on sale for 30 bucks. my whole setup (controller, dongle, battery's and battery charger) cost me about 80 euros so 85 dollars. i find that a pretty heavy investment, especially since the controller was 40% off.

I'm not planning on using Bluetooth or Wireless functionality, I'll have it connected to my PC via USB 24/7

Which controller layout do you prefer. Also, I believe games have to natively support the PS4 controller but programs like SCP, click here for the link to it, allows PS3 and PS4 controllers to be wrapped to the XInput, and in return, allowed to be played on any game with controller support. Just make sure you put the SCP Driver on high or real-time priority in order for the lowest latensy.

Brah, do you even Java?

2 minutes ago, Alaa said:

That's what I was thinking, not much can go wrong with a supported controller

I bought one for myself recently and I didn't even have to install anything extra, just to confirm to you.

2 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

the game you play will need more the joystick for movement

so one point to the Xbox controller

Would you recommend going for a used one or just spend the extra bucks on a brand new one

Just now, Alaa said:

I'm not planning on using Bluetooth or Wireless functionality, I'll have it connected to my PC via USB 24/7

then its fine :D, i would just buy whatever is cheaper and/or looks better.

1 minute ago, Alaa said:

Would you recommend going for a used one or just spend the extra bucks on a brand new one

new unit

if your budget is higher

go for the Elite version

Do plan on owning either console?
I'd use that to decide.
Otherwise, I'm partial to Xbox controllers.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

new unit

if your budget is higher

go for the Elite version

I wont spend that much on a peripheral that is only for fun and will only be used from time to time (Elite controller)

I have a question, does it really matter which controller I mean, say you choose a Dual Shock PC DAZZ controller, which is extremely cheap, feels identical to a Playstation 2 official sony dual shock and it connects through USB (taking into consideration you don't mind the wire), would it affect gaming experience at all? Also considering you're really short on  the $ but want to play non-FPS games on a controller.

Spoiler

111673507SZ.jpg

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

I have a question, does it really matter which controller I mean, say you choose a Dual Shock PC DAZZ controller, which is extremely cheap, feels identical to a Playstation 2 official sony dual shock and it connects through USB (taking into consideration you don't mind the wire), would it affect gaming experience at all? Taking into consideration you're really short on  the $ but want to play non-FPS games on a controller.

Hide contents

111673507SZ.jpg

I originally bought the Xbox 360 back in the days because the PS3's controller sucked and felt like a hard brick between my hands. So anything other than the next gen controllers wont do me. thanks for the suggestion though I appreciate that

I have both I use frequently (for consoles and PC), and I would strongly recommend the Xbox One controller. 

Windows 10 already has the appropriate drivers for it, and most games just map it as a Xbox 360 controller. I've had some trouble getting the PS4 controller to work with games like skyrim as well.  It's just a pain in the ass to set up. 

3 minutes ago, Kek Ops said:

I have both I use frequently (for consoles and PC), and I would strongly recommend the Xbox One controller. 

Windows 10 already has the appropriate drivers for it, and most games just map it as a Xbox 360 controller. I've had some trouble getting the PS4 controller to work with games like skyrim as well.  It's just a pain in the ass to set up. 

Have you tried SCP Driver toolkit? It maps the PS4 buttons to XInput.

Brah, do you even Java?

2 minutes ago, Kek Ops said:

Yup, I'll get myself an Xbox One Controller.