SSD and HDD Question

TradeMarkdKill

Hey everyone. I just have a question I am looking for a straight answer to. 

I am looking at getting an SSD.  Just something to hold my games and maybe OS. Is it safe to run a Normal Harddrive and a solid state on the same computer? How would I get my OS from the normal harddrive to my SSD?\

also side note. Is there anyway I can find out how much power is being used from my PSU?

1 minute ago, TradeMarkdKill said:

Hey everyone. I just have a question I am looking for a straight answer to. 

I am looking at getting an SSD.  Just something to hold my games and maybe OS. Is it safe to run a Normal Harddrive and a solid state on the same computer? How would I get my OS from the normal harddrive to my SSD?\

also side note. Is there anyway I can find out how much power is being used from my PSU?

it is perfectly safe and programmes such as Acronis can clone your current HDD onto the ssd

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

1. It is safe to have HDD and SSD. That is what 99% of people are using. 1% can not afford an SSD or they have a high capacity SSD that no need for HDD

2. You can clone from HDD to SSD with Macrium Reflect or similar program

3. Not much power

1 hour ago, TradeMarkdKill said:

lso side note. Is there anyway I can find out how much power is being used from my PSU?

There are power outlets extentions tat measure power pull from the wall. times it by the efficiency of ur PSU you will know the power usage of the system

1 hour ago, TradeMarkdKill said:

Is it safe to run a Normal Harddrive and a solid state on the same computer? How would I get my OS from the normal harddrive to my SSD?\

Of course it's safe. If you look at 99% of the builds on here, they use an SSD and an HDD.

Many SSDs come with software to clone you HDD onto the SSD, but generally speaking, the HDD (or the OS partition, if it's partitioned) has to be the same size (byte-wise) or smaller than the SSD. In some cases the clone software can adjust for that.

In many cases the best idea is to plan to do a fresh install on the SSD.

I'd suggest you look at how much HDD space you are actually using. You may find that the simplest thing is to just replace the HDD with a 500Gig (or so) SSD.

There are various meters, etc, that you can use to measure the power draw of your PSU, but if you had them, you wouldn't need to ask. Basically, you'd need some meters and some current taps, etc, to do it properly.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD