FX 6300 upgrade to intel?

Patti
2 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

You want future proof? Get an I5 6600k, that way you'll be able to run games for a long time plus you can upgrade to kaby lake down the line.

That's far less future proof than a Xeon E3-1231 v3, or an i7.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, ArmswieldTheHero said:

I got 8 GB of DDR4 2800MHz ram for less than 50 dollars on amazon. Its worth it.

but i have 16 1866 currently (ddr3)

Just now, Patti said:

what about maximum frame rates? im pairing this cpu with a gtx 960 2gb. when i play games like h1z1 i get 87% cpu usage, i know the game is not optimized but will it be significantly less load on the xeon?

The Xeon won't bottleneck at all (not even a 980ti SLI setup). And the improvements are primarily in games that use 4+ threads-as Windows+background programs don't have to fight with whichever game or program your running over the CPU's resources.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

That's far less future proof than a Xeon E3-1231 v3, or an i7.....

i appreciate the links, i think i have made my decision and am going to go with the Xeon. i dont really need on board graphics nor do i personally care abt overclocking it. thanks 

The Xeon won't bottleneck at all (not even a 980ti SLI setup). And the improvements are primarily in games that use 4+ threads-as Windows+background programs don't have to fight with whichever game or program your running over the CPU's resources.

so then will the gtx 960 bottle neck the xeon? its only a 2 gb version from EVGA 

3 minutes ago, Patti said:

so then will the gtx 960 bottle neck the xeon? its only a 2 gb version from EVGA 

Pretty much anything under a Titan XP would...so don't worry about the GTX 960 being a bottleneck. If anything, you will notice that your games run a lot better under the Xeon. Also, when you get around to replacing the GTX 960, treat 4GB cards as the bare minimum-even at 1080p its now easy to go over 2GB of vRAM (even on a GTX 650ti OC 2GB at 1024x768, its possible).

PMSL

Pretty much anything under a Titan XP would...so don't worry about the GTX 960 being a bottleneck. If anything, you will notice that your games run a lot better under the Xeon. Also, when you get around to replacing the GTX 960, treat 4GB cards as the bare minimum-even at 1080p its now easy to go over 2GB of vRAM (even on a GTX 650ti OC 2GB at 1024x768, its possible).

then in the future should i just get another 960 and sli or upgrade to something like a 1060 6gb (depending on what happens in college and stuff)

3 minutes ago, Patti said:

then in the future should i just get another 960 and sli or upgrade to something like a 1060 6gb (depending on what happens in college and stuff)

I'd go for the GTX 1060 6GB. SLI wouldn't help much with your GTX 960, since a second one would be limited to at most 2GB of vRAM (due to the way SLI works). Or if it can be found for less, an RX 480 (with Sapphire, MSI or XFX being the best brands).

PMSL

I'd go for the GTX 1060 6GB. SLI wouldn't help much with your GTX 960, since a second one would be limited to at most 2GB of vRAM (due to the way SLI works). Or if it can be found for less, an RX 480 (with Sapphire, MSI or XFX being the best brands).

alright then saying everything in the future does go as planned, is the 1060 6gb better than the rx 480 8gb?

Just now, Patti said:

alright then saying everything in the future does go as planned, is the 1060 6gb better than the rx 480 8gb?

They trade blows. The RX 480 will be better for DirectX 12 by a little bit, while the GTX 1060 is better in DirectX 11 games by a little bit. Either way, they would be a good upgrade.

PMSL

They trade blows. The RX 480 will be better for DirectX 12 by a little bit, while the GTX 1060 is better in DirectX 11 games by a little bit. Either way, they would be a good upgrade.

alright then, i appreciate your time and help. big thanks!