FX 6300 upgrade to intel?

Patti

i have a fx 6300 and im looking to upgrade to an intel cpu, people have recommened the Xeon 1231 v3. is this cpu worth the upgrade total budge for cpu and mobo is around 300. i do not want to buy any ddr4. i want a cpu that supports ddr3, thanks

13 hours ago, Patti said:

i have a fx 6300 and im looking to upgrade to an intel cpu, people have recommened the Xeon 1231 v3. is this cpu worth the upgrade total budge for cpu and mobo is around 300. i do not want to buy any ddr4. i want a cpu that supports ddr3, thanks

its a great cpu if you are focused on renedering/workstations, if for gaming an i5 would be better

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

2 minutes ago, Patti said:

I'd be fine. Works like an i7, just minus an iGPU. You'll be fine.

Wait for the kaby lake i3 to come out so you can overclockit. along with that get a z170 mobo because kaby lake is lga 1151.

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

Just now, grayblizzard said:

its a great cpu if you are focused on renedering/workstations, if for gaming an i5 would be better

well thats the problem i do alot of gaming but in 2 months ill be starting college and may need a beefy cpu that supports HT

i want a cpu that supports ddr3, thanks

Why?

total budget for cpu and mobo is around 300. 

where are you from? (currency and stores around you)

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

Just now, Patti said:

well thats the problem i do alot of gaming but in 2 months ill be starting college and may need a beefy cpu that supports HT

It'll be fine for gaming. 

Just get the I3 6100, its what I did and I'm noticing that all the games run way better as opposed to my FX 8350.

Just now, Kevo05s said:

Why?

where are you from? (currency and stores around you)

usd and no microcenter or anything around me :/

It will do just fine in games that only use 4 cores (better in fact in some due to having spare threads for background tasks), and in newer games it will do better than an i5. So if you can get one, go for it. It does boost to 3.8GHz on a single core (and probably 3.6GHz under a heavy load-going off my 4790K with its 4.4GHz single core, 4.2GHz uad)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

It'll be fine for gaming. 

is there a big difference between the fx 6300 and the intel xeon 1231 v3?

1 minute ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Just get the I3 6100, its what I did and I'm noticing that all the games run way better as opposed to my FX 8350.

The i3 6100 is a lot weaker than the Xeon E3-1231 v3

PMSL

Just now, Patti said:

Yeah. Mainly due to better IPC in Haswell. It'll probably do better than an i5 on average, so don't worry too much about it.

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

The i3 6100 is a lot weaker than the Xeon E3-1231 v3

Yea it should be, its 150 dollars cheaper : /

Massive. Considering for what you want, even an i3 6100 would be better (and an FX 8*** is only better in synthetics than an i5 2500K, in real world usage an i5 2500K is better at everything).

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Massive. Considering for what you want, even an i3 6100 would be better (and an FX 8*** is only better in synthetics than an i5 2500K, in real world usage an i5 2500K is better at everything).

Yeah. Mainly due to better IPC in Haswell. It'll probably do better than an i5 on average, so don't worry too much about it.

so comparing the xeon 1231 to the i5 4690k which is better?that was the other cpu i was leaning towards untill someone told me abt the xeon 1231  v3

Just now, Patti said:

so comparing the xeon 1231 to the i5 4690k which is better?that was the other cpu i was leaning towards untill someone told me abt the xeon 1231  v3

Stock speeds? 1231 hands down. If you're fine with OCing, then the 4690k is the one you should look at.

Stock speeds? 1231 hands down. If you're fine with OCing, then the 4690k is the one you should look at.

never really looked at overclocking, but in general is the xeon better than the i5? i want something that is a little future proof as well

Just now, Patti said:

never really looked at overclocking, but in general is the xeon better than the i5? i want something that is a little future proof as well

In general, yeah.

3 minutes ago, Patti said:

The E3-1231 v3 is better over all and will last longer than a 4690K, as uad cores are nearing the end of their useful life in games. Also, with the Xeon you will see higher minimum frame rates, and better frame times (less stuttering). In productivity, the Xeon will always be better than the 4690K.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Patti said:

You want future proof? Get an I5 6600k, that way you'll be able to run games for a long time plus you can upgrade to kaby lake down the line.

Just now, ArmswieldTheHero said:

You want future proof? Get an I5 6600k, that way you'll be able to run games for a long time plus you can upgrade to kaby lake down the line.

yeah but thats way to expensive considering ill have to buy new ram 

4 minutes ago, Patti said:

Side by side comparison: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare_CPUs/Intel_CM8064601575332,Intel_CM8064601710803/

Detailed comparison: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/488/Intel_Core_i5_i5-4690K_vs_Intel_Xeon_E3-1231_v3.html

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

The E3-1231 v3 is better over all and will last longer than a 4690K, as uad cores are nearing the end of their useful life in games. Also, with the Xeon you will see higher minimum frame rates, and better frame times (less stuttering). In productivity, the Xeon will always be better than the 4690K.

what about maximum frame rates? im pairing this cpu with a gtx 960 2gb. when i play games like h1z1 i get 87% cpu usage, i know the game is not optimized but will it be significantly less load on the xeon?

Just now, Patti said:

yeah but thats way to expensive considering ill have to buy new ram 

I got 8 GB of DDR4 2800MHz ram for less than 50 dollars on amazon. Its worth it.