2x4gb and 1x8gb in same system?

JoshPC
Go to solution Solved by tomoki,
3 minutes ago, JoshPC said:

Would any difference in performance be noticeable in games?

Well you did note in your first post that the speed is the same as your original pieces of RAM. The timing speeds of the pieces of RAM, if different, will run at the lower speeds but... you won't even notice it in real world performance when playing games. 

If you have enough RAM to run your games right now, then the addition of RAM modules to your system won't make a difference other than the part where you won't have to close anything when you play games. 

If you happen to know what RAM caching is, it could make your system a lot faster by using up the extra RAM. 

Currently, my system is running on 1 stick of 8gb (1866mhz, DDR3) ram. For Christmas, I was looking at the ram I had bought roughly a year and it had gone up in price ($~90 AUD with shipping). However, I found a 2x4gb kit (1866mhz, DDR3 with same Cas latency, voltage and same Manufacturer). This 2x4 kit is a lot cheaper.

I was wondering if it were possible to have a 2x4 kit and 1x8 kit run in the same system? 

Thanks for reading,

1 minute ago, tomoki said:

If you physically have the slots and they fit, then it will work. Given your current case scenario, that's what I can say for now. 

Well you did note in your first post that the speed is the same as your original pieces of RAM. The timing speeds of the pieces of RAM, if different, will run at the lower speeds but... you won't even notice it in real world performance when playing games. 

If you have enough RAM to run your games right now, then the addition of RAM modules to your system won't make a difference other than the part where you won't have to close anything when you play games. 

If you happen to know what RAM caching is, it could make your system a lot faster by using up the extra RAM. 

no and really not needed unless you game above 1080p

CPU - I5 6600k @4.5ghz, AIO Cooler - H100i GTX, MOBO - MSI Z170 Gaming Pro, RAM - G-Skills Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 mhz, GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080, SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 250g, HDD - WD Black 1TB, PSU - Corsair TX 750, Case - Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5, Monitor - Dell S2716dg 2560x1440 144hz gsnyc  27", AOC I2757FH 1920x1080 75Hz 27", OS - Windows 10 Home.

9 minutes ago, JoshPC said:

Currently, my system is running on 1 stick of 8gb (1866mhz, DDR3) ram. For Christmas, I was looking at the ram I had bought roughly a year and it had gone up in price ($~90 AUD with shipping). However, I found a 2x4gb kit (1866mhz, DDR3 with same Cas latency, voltage and same Manufacturer). This 2x4 kit is a lot cheaper.

I was wondering if it were possible to have a 2x4 kit and 1x8 kit run in the same system? 

Thanks for reading,

You can technically do it but I wouldn't advise it.

Just now, not_Linus said:

Multi-tasking and games which requires loads of RAM say otherwise.......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, tomoki said:

Thanks for the help. I assume I would insert the 2x4 kit into slot 1 and 3 and insert the 8gb stick in the second?

3 minutes ago, not_Linus said:

RAM usage doesn't change with resolution.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

To be honest, a single 8GB stick at the same frequency, CL, voltage but different manufacturer is probably a better idea as at least they could possibly run in dual channel mode where your current idea will never be able to :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

4 minutes ago, not_Linus said:

I use a 25" 21:9 monitor @ 2560x1080

1 minute ago, JoshPC said:

Thanks for the help. I assume I would insert the 2x4 kit into slot 1 and 3 and insert the 8gb stick in the second?

Np. Match the 2x4 kit with the same color slots. Aka Slot 1 is black in color, Slot 3 is black in color, Slot the 2x4 kit in those. Slot the 8gb stick in the color slot that doesn't match in black. This is just the example. 

1 minute ago, tomoki said:

Np. Match the 2x4 kit with the same color slots. Aka Slot 1 is black in color, Slot 3 is black in color, Slot the 2x4 kit in those. Slot the 8gb stick in the color slot that doesn't match in black. This is just the example. 

Thanks very much.