PS3 YLOD not caused by the solder bridge thingy?

LTSU

So a little backstory. My ps3 got ylod about six years ago and my dad fixed it. It worked just fine for couple of months and then it broke again. At that point I ended up buying a new one, but my dad still fixed the old one. Again it worked just fine for couple of moths but then the ylod came back, but not the way it usually comes. The console starts and works for about 15 minutes before turning off. Today I took the old ps3 out just to see if it still works at least a little bit and it did. I was able to play with it for about 15 minutes and then it turned of. The reason why I doubt that the ylod is caused by the sodering thing is that I noticed that the ps3 doesn't really even try to work. Basically, the fan is running, but no matter what you do it won't start spinning any faster than when it's ideling. So I'm just wondering that is the current ylod issue just simply caused by owerheating and if it is, is there any fix for that? It just seems a little odd that playing gta iv doesent make the fan spin any faster than ideling sense the tiny airflow that is going out from the system is burning hot. So, I'd be glad if someone knows something about this kind off ylod/overheating issue. Oh, and btw, the system is the most troube causing launch 60gb model... and also, my first tought was that my dad had broken some kind of heat sensor but sense he works with electronics on daily basis, I don't think that's the cause especially sense the ps3 still somehow knows when to shut off.

ps. sorry for my terrible english, it far from my native language :) 

3 hours ago, DeltaGames said:

What is "ylod"?

Yellow light of death. 

3 hours ago, LTSU said:

So a little backstory. My ps3 got ylod about six years ago and my dad fixed it. It worked just fine for couple of months and then it broke again. At that point I ended up buying a new one, but my dad still fixed the old one. Again it worked just fine for couple of moths but then the ylod came back, but not the way it usually comes. The console starts and works for about 15 minutes before turning off. Today I took the old ps3 out just to see if it still works at least a little bit and it did. I was able to play with it for about 15 minutes and then it turned of. The reason why I doubt that the ylod is caused by the sodering thing is that I noticed that the ps3 doesn't really even try to work. Basically, the fan is running, but no matter what you do it won't start spinning any faster than when it's ideling. So I'm just wondering that is the current ylod issue just simply caused by owerheating and if it is, is there any fix for that? It just seems a little odd that playing gta iv doesent make the fan spin any faster than ideling sense the tiny airflow that is going out from the system is burning hot. So, I'd be glad if someone knows something about this kind off ylod/overheating issue. Oh, and btw, the system is the most troube causing launch 60gb model... and also, my first tought was that my dad had broken some kind of heat sensor but sense he works with electronics on daily basis, I don't think that's the cause especially sense the ps3 still somehow knows when to shut off.

"Overheating" only will occur if there's something preventing proper airflow.  That could be anything from something resting against the outside vents to dust built-up on the fan. (There's only one. On my model at least.)  The system is designed to keep itself cool enough to operate even on full load.   The yellow blinking light isn't necessarily an indicator of bad solder, it's an indicator of a failed/failing GPU.  Failing in the general sense that it could be failing due to deterioration of internal silicon, or failing due to weakening solder.  In either event, knowing which one doesn't really help resolve the issue.  Since history has shown that your dad's attempts to repair the system have failed, I'd either buy a replacement, or contact Sony for a repair.  Sony "repaired" mine a number of years back.  They actually sent a refurb unit. Same model.  I'm perfectly happy with it.  It's still running fine.